PDA

View Full Version : Nice game, but demo regularly freezes

Lamento
03-10-2012, 01:32 AM
Every 5 min or so of gameplay the demo will freeze, and I have to kill it via task manager.
Is this a known problem or perhaps fixed in the full version?

Win XP SP3
Core 2 Duo E6750
2 GB RAM
AMD HD 6850, Catalyst 11.11c

johnk
03-10-2012, 04:06 PM
Never seen that happen... any particular spot it occurs?

Lamento
03-10-2012, 11:55 PM
Unfortunately the locations seem random. First time it happened while trying to jump onto a platform (while pressing buttons hectically), second time during a level load I went away for a minute, and when I came back, the level was fully loaded, but the game had frozen (while no action was going on).

So, I think there's not really a clue why that happens.

frief
03-11-2012, 09:28 AM
Never seen that happen... any particular spot it occurs?

There was a thread that was ultimately ignored regarding a specific crash in the demo for a few people, myself included:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2576626

johnk
03-11-2012, 10:52 PM
@frief We're still working on that one. Can't make it happen on our machines but working to get a repro case.

For the demo, a freeze vs a crash is very strange, you sure it's not crashing?

Lamento
03-12-2012, 06:11 AM
The screen becomes a still, the music plays on, no response to keyboard or mouse input. This lasts until I kill the task or process.
Don't know how to describe it better.

Anyhow, I'm definitely keeping an eye on this, looks like a lot of fun.

Darth_Eowyn
03-21-2012, 12:12 PM
I got the exact same problem. Except that it's in the game itself and not the demo.

First I played the demo and I had absolutely no problems. So I bought the game, and now I can't play because the game freezes regularly. As described, the screen freezes, the music keeps playing, and I have to kill the process to end the game.

Win XP SP3
Core 2 Duo E6550
2 GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 5780

Any idea how I can fix this?

johnk
03-23-2012, 11:20 AM
If anyone can get a crash dump or process dump when it freezes that would be enormously helpful for fixing this issue as we can't make it happen.

Lamento, sorry you bought the game and are having this problem, you can email Steam to get a refund, or keep it around until we figure out this issue.

Lamento
03-23-2012, 11:35 AM
Lamento, sorry you bought the game and are having this problem, you can email Steam to get a refund, or keep it around until we figure out this issue.No worries :), I haven't bought it yet because I feared the full version could also show this behaviour on my system; so I'm still waiting what the outcome might be.

edit: no crash, so no crash dump unfortunately.
edit2: I uninstalled the demo a few days ago. If I can assist to analyse this problem I'd be willing to redownload the demo and conduct testing measures of your will?!

Darth_Eowyn
03-23-2012, 03:26 PM
Actually, I don't know what I did or if you fixed something but last time I played (yesterday) I didn't have this problem any more! I really don't know why.

The only thing I did differently was to click on "Load Game" instead of "Continue", but I'm not sure that it was the cause of the problem... I will make some more try and if I have this issue again I'll tell you.

Really nice game BTW!

johnk
03-25-2012, 12:04 AM
@Darth thanks!
@Lamento thanks for the offer, I will have to find out a way to remotely debug something that hasn't crashed but just frozen (I think there's some way to get a dump even though it hasn't crashed). Will let you know. Is it still freezing in the latest patch do you know?

Lamento
03-25-2012, 01:56 AM
Is it still freezing in the latest patch do you know?Was the demo patched too?

Lamento
05-26-2012, 12:16 AM
I suppose no news on this issue?!

eyezex
06-24-2012, 06:45 PM
i bought the game recently having no probs whatsoever on the demo and really enjoyed it.. now i randomly get freezes. it doesn't necessarily happen enough to be a "game breaker" but its pretty anoying=] it would be great to hear about a fix:(

johnk
06-24-2012, 11:10 PM
i bought the game recently having no probs whatsoever on the demo and really enjoyed it.. now i randomly get freezes. it doesn't necessarily happen enough to be a "game breaker" but its pretty anoying=] it would be great to hear about a fix:(

Freezes should be fixed in patch tomorrow.

Lamento
06-24-2012, 11:59 PM
Really?! Have you identified possible causes?

And the sale is continuing for 10 more hours from now on the strangeloop site... :cool:

indigoskywalker
06-26-2012, 09:28 AM
I have just worked through all 9 levels to find the game keeps freezing at the end of the big boss stage. It has frozen several times through out the game and this is yet another freeze. It is really fun to play and I would like you to fix this problem so I can complete the game.

I have a dump file, but it is around 512MB.

Please get in touch so I can provide a link to the dump file.

johnk
06-26-2012, 01:28 PM
Hey indigo, thanks for the crash dump! Normally that would extremely helpful but I've already fixed that bug and it will be arriving in a patch as soon as Steam makes it live.

gonzo99
07-18-2012, 07:14 AM
I got the exact same problem. Except that it's in the game itself and not the demo.

First I played the demo and I had absolutely no problems. So I bought the game, and now I can't play because the game freezes regularly. As described, the screen freezes, the music keeps playing, and I have to kill the process to end the game.

Same thing here.

Freezes randomly.

This is the full game btw - not the demo.

johnk
07-18-2012, 10:02 AM
You definitely have latest?

Martin_
07-18-2012, 11:26 AM
The game was just patched a few hours ago. If you were having issues, try version 1.14.

It's possible that there is some weird conflict with another open program. Try to shutdown other applications before starting up Vessel.

gonzo99
07-18-2012, 08:21 PM
It was the latest version until this new patch but I don't see anything in the new patch which is going to address this issue.

Sometimes it happens shortly after completing a goal. For instance, it froze after I fixed a machine in the factory and again when I upgraded my nozzle.

Again, it is not properly crashing as such - the task manager says it is still running. It just becomes unresponsive but the music continues playing.

Could it be something to do with achievements?

Or maybe the autosave?

Kook
07-18-2012, 10:36 PM
I have also been experiencing this problem with Vessel since I bought it a few weeks ago.

When I noticed that the game had downloaded an update in Steam today, I decided to check to see if the freezing problem had stopped, but it occurred again after playing for just a few minutes.

It's definitely reassuring to know that Vessel has frequent auto-saves at checkpoints, though, so I usually don't lose too much progress when the freezes happen.

I'm running Windows XP SP3 and a Core 2 Duo (E8600), similar to Lamento, who created this thread, though with an NVIDIA GPU.

I do hope the devs can figure out to fix this, because it's unfortunate that the freezes interrupt such an otherwise great game. Speaking of which, freezes aside, I'm very much enjoying the game so far!

Redboy
07-22-2012, 02:05 AM
The screen becomes a still, the music plays on, no response to keyboard or mouse input. This lasts until I kill the task or process.
Don't know how to describe it better.

Anyhow, I'm definitely keeping an eye on this, looks like a lot of fun.

SAME

I have random freeze with music still on.

MAstrik
07-25-2012, 11:26 AM
Me too, I just came here to see if there are any fixes or workarounds, it just freezes every few minutes (music keeps playing though)

My specs:
i5 2550K (Ivy)
GTX 560ti (448-core)
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
8 GB RAM

Not a demo, this is the full version.

I don't have a lot open so I don't think it is clashing. How do we submit bug reports? Using it through Steam, I assume it's the latest. It is important to note, I played it a week or so ago and had zero problems, the latest updates seemed to make the freezes occur more often.

Cosinus P. W.
09-18-2012, 05:01 PM
Getting these freezes as well here.

TNG
10-05-2012, 04:24 AM
Having the same problem with the game freezing, sometimes more frequently than others, while the music plays on. Did not have them when playing the demo, although I did change my gpu from a Nvidia 9800GT to ATI Radeon 6670HD before buying the full version (XP SP3, Core 2 Duo E6600, 2GB RAM).

pokerdan
11-12-2012, 10:28 AM
Ditto. Finally getting around to playing the Humble Bundle 6 games. Freezes regularly with music continuing to play. Using a Nvidia Geforce 7950 GT video card. Going to try VSync off and see if it helps.

EDIT: Nope, still freezes after 10 minutes or so.