PDA

View Full Version : overclock phenom IIx6 1100t

epicphail
03-11-2012, 11:14 AM
I am wanting to overclock my AMD Phenom II x6 1100T 3.3MHz processor to some where around 3.7 MHz - 4.0 MHz. I am really not that knowledgeable in overclocking and was wondering if someone could tell me a quick easy way to do this, I know it is unlocked and I am not sure if all I have to do is change the multiplier or mess with other settings. Thanks in advance for any help/tips.

I am wanting to overclock only for a handful of my games that my cpu is just under performing for the settings I am wanting to play at.

rotNdude
03-11-2012, 11:21 AM
What motherboard do you have? If it's a motherboard in an OEM computer, I would forget it.

http://blogs.amd.com/play/2009/04/22/overclocking-101-with-the-amd-phenom-ii-x4-955-black-edition-processor/

If you start messing with the reference clock, then you will have to worry about the HTT bus and RAM frequencies.

epicphail
03-11-2012, 11:29 AM
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard. I am pretty sure this is a good motherboard for overclocking some cpus I was able to unlock a dual core to a quad core easily with it but am not sure if this is at all the related to overclocking.

I also have ZALMAN CNPS9900MAX-B 135mm for the fan in case I ever did overclock

ram is CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B

video card: SAPPHIRE 100281-3SR Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity

power supply: corsair tx650

I am not sure if all this is good for overclocking but I also have 4 case fans and my cpu idle is around 32c. If I make small minor frequency changes will I need to change the voltage?

epicphail
03-11-2012, 02:59 PM
anyone?

Nothing Clever
03-11-2012, 03:02 PM
Read this (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/258573-29-black-edition-overclock-guide-raising-multiplier)!

Read it again, take a power nap and read it again.
Good luck, Godspeed.
(if the colors give you a headache like me, copy-paste it into notepad/word without text formatting)

Bad_Motha
03-11-2012, 04:56 PM
(if the colors give you a headache like me, copy-paste it into notepad/word without text formatting)

Or temporarily switch to "High-Contrast" mode so the website background is all black. Easier on the eyes ;)

CWorange
03-11-2012, 05:24 PM
OP there are some AMD mainboards that will give you a mediocre OC just with a few clicks. I would not do more than 5-10% unless like was pointed out earlier you understand HTT/Mem Freq/Voltages ...etc.

Some MSI mainboards have an auto switch that will OC 10/15/20%. All of that is dependent on your parts EG your ram, your PSU, your cooling to be stable. Moreover, if you do decide to OC that proc. be sure to use a board that is well known for both stability, and OC friendliness. Asus, MSI, Biostar, and a few AsRock boards would be what you would look into.

epicphail
03-11-2012, 07:14 PM
OP there are some AMD mainboards that will give you a mediocre OC just with a few clicks. I would not do more than 5-10% unless like was pointed out earlier you understand HTT/Mem Freq/Voltages ...etc.

Some MSI mainboards have an auto switch that will OC 10/15/20%. All of that is dependent on your parts EG your ram, your PSU, your cooling to be stable. Moreover, if you do decide to OC that proc. be sure to use a board that is well known for both stability, and OC friendliness. Asus, MSI, Biostar, and a few AsRock boards would be what you would look into.

Yeah my mb is good for OCing.

For someone who isn't into OCing and just wants a small gain is the default 15% OC in the bios setting all I need to do?

Bad_Motha
03-11-2012, 09:46 PM
Yeah my mb is good for OCing.

For someone who isn't into OCing and just wants a small gain is the default 15% OC in the bios setting all I need to do?

I would say no and TBO, to not even try OC'ing that way. As you may not fully understand what is actually being changed, or what differs in the different % presets.

There are plenty of helpful guides on how to OC. I would start their to learn the basics. So you can understand what BIOS settings actually do, what they mean and what a setting actually controls and the safety about changing such settings, such as voltages. Which normally you shouldn't have to mess with, but if an OC is unstable, slightly raising a certain voltage CAN help. Long as you are staying with safe operable limits of your components.

Once you have the basics on-hand. Then look for an in-depth guide or review on your particular motherboard. From that you should be able to gain enough knowledge on how to OC with your board, regardless of the CPU/RAM you may have.

Hardwood
03-12-2012, 05:21 AM
In BIOS change your CPU core multiplier from 16.5 to 18 (3600). If that works for a day or through your benchmarks then raise it to 19 and repeat. Keep doing this until it crashes. Then back off a bit and raise your cpu voltage a bit. Once stable start raising the core clocks again.

As mentioned by the guys above, there's a few tutorials for OCing the PHENOM processors out there. Just google them.