PDA

View Full Version : Game crashes to Desktop since today's patch

jeffreydean1
03-16-2012, 11:02 AM
First, I want to say I appreciate the Wizorb dev that posted here and his attention to the Windows XP sound bug. Thank you very much. Unfortunately...

Since the patch today every time I try to run the game I get a crash to desktop and an error that says "No suitable graphics card found. Unable to create the graphics device."

I have an ATI Radeon HD 5770 that allows me to run pretty much anything at medium to high graphics. Not sure what happened...

The game ran fine (without sound) for me before this patch.

jfmajor
03-16-2012, 11:52 AM
Hey jeffreydean1,

That's a bummer.
We're you ever able to run the game?
I double checked and nothing really should've changed on this front.
Can you do me a favor, try to temporarily rename the saved game to something else and run the game.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\[YOURSTEAMID]\207420\remote\gamesave.sav

You can put it back to what it was after.

PolarisOrbit
03-16-2012, 12:19 PM
I would try verifying game cache, then exiting Steam and trying again. Sometimes Steam messes up and doesn't apply updates correctly, but it can fix itself if you force it to check.

Also make sure sound hardware acceleration is ON again :)

If those things don't work then I'm stumped :(

jeffreydean1
03-16-2012, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the responses guys, renaming the save file didn't change anything, but verifying game cache and restarting Steam did the trick. That's the first item I've had that problem in over 200 Steam games. Glad it was easy to fix!

Oh and jfmajor, I just wanted to let you know that the patch has fixed the sound on my XP box.

Thank you very much!!!