PDA

View Full Version : Is the game worth it?

cortexe
03-16-2012, 02:30 PM
At the moment i'm on a tight budget since we are moving but I've got alot of free time on my hands now since the house is clean up and stuff but I'll spare the details and head to the point.

Got a good laptop here and a weekend of nothing to do, is this game worth it, is the multiplayer still alive and does the single player have a good story and more than 2 hours game time (COD has potential with singleplayer but it's so short and I REALLY hate short singleplayer campaigns):(

Thanks in advanced :)

Totalitator
03-17-2012, 04:25 AM
All I can tell you is that I think it's a great experience. I think the graphics look great and the atmosphere is really unique. Mythical creatures wreaking havoc everywhere on such an epic scale. Indeed it is a "rail shooter" because your path is predetermined for you but I find the theme and atmosphere of it to be thrilling and unique. Duke Nukem was a rail shooter too and everyone liked that one, as was Doom, etc. This one though is a little more restrictive than even those or so it seems to me so far. I really love it, there's just nothing like it that I've seen before. I was trying to find something like Godzilla online to watch and then I decided to go back and try Legendary and was blown away by it. It was perfection for the experience I was looking for. It's not breaking any new ground in gameplay mechanics whatsoever but if watching a city earthquaking and shattering as the ground falls beneath your feet and lava springs forth, wyverns flying down through the skyscrapers and picking up cars and smashing them down, and all manner of mythical creatures popping up all over the place.. sounds fun to you, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Think of it as a highly interactive movie and it's worth the $2.50 or whatever it goes on sale for, for sure.

I don't think you will find anyone on multiplayer ever. This game really seems to be about the experience of the story to me. This really isn't a multiplayer-focused game, this is an "epic" guided FPS special effects extravaganza. And when I say "the story" I mean the setting, because it isn't much of a story it's just a lot of amazing action and sights and sounds going on. I think if the theme, setting, story, atmosphere of it all doesn't hit your mood then it will just be an uninteresting shooter to you. You have to be in it for the specific scenery of its world and not for gameplay mechanics.

I can't say you'll like it, but I was dazzled but the epic scenario that played out before my eyes and ears. Again, not epic in a profound meaningful story sort of way, but in an incredible pure action what the hell is going on all around frantic apocalypse kind of way.

Levi
03-18-2012, 11:04 AM
The gameplay is kind of mediocre, the story is mediocre, but the setting is pretty epic. :)

I got about 6 hours out of the single player campaign.

It has one really annoying bug near the end of the game though...

Whiteboy7698
03-27-2012, 07:17 PM
Its a pretty good game. Turn up the res for some decent graphics and itl pass alot of your time.

ElfShotTheFood
07-03-2012, 10:04 AM
On sale again for $1.66 US. It's worth it at that price. There are some pretty entertaining sequences in this game.

The single-player is short at around six hours and no one is playing online, but for the low price you'll get an evening or two's worth of enjoyment out of it.

phkuxato
07-03-2012, 10:17 AM
Another day, another stupid question. Do you seriously not understand the bright-green Metacritic score of 50/100 on the store page? A bad game is still a bad game for any price.

h4r7y
07-03-2012, 10:19 AM
Another day, another stupid question. Do you seriously not understand the bright-green Metacritic score of 50/100 on the store page?

games do change you know, they do get updated and patched making them entirely different, ie, better than when the original lot of reviews were done...

Drutten
07-03-2012, 10:19 AM
Peoples opinions is also good to hear not just the metacritic score, chill dude

flidd
07-03-2012, 10:21 AM
I got bored of this one and uninstalled before I finished it. Mediocre is a good word to describe it, and the voice acting is dire!

graspee
07-03-2012, 10:24 AM
Another day, another stupid question. Do you seriously not understand the bright-green Metacritic score of 50/100 on the store page? A bad game is still a bad game for any price.

The low prices that games get reduced to can entirelyy change whether it is worth buying or not.

daicon
07-03-2012, 10:27 AM

What's foolish is to trust Metacritic scores..

The game is pretty fun, it's a 6 hour romp and as for the setting well, I've never played anything quite like it.

ponyboy82
07-03-2012, 10:34 AM
As for metacritic, there's also a big difference between reviews by "professional" critics vs reviews by "real people". I don't really game a lot these days, so I don't really care if game X is too similar to game Y and doesn't push the boundaries of the genre. I just want a fun gaming experience.

MasterCrumble
07-03-2012, 10:34 AM
I just bought it! I'm kind of surprised that it's 8 gb. It seems like it will have some pretty set pieces and entertaining creatures to fight. I intend to enjoy thoroughly! Unless it's buggy and just plain dull.

The developers of this game also made Turning Point: Fall of Liberty, which I havent played, but it got some pretty nasty reviews.

ponyboy82
07-03-2012, 10:37 AM
To follow up, i'm in for 1... I remember watching this game when it first came out and thought it was such a cool concept, so it's worth $1.69 enough just for that.

Drutten
07-03-2012, 10:39 AM
Bought it as well, looks like a couple of hours fun, good or not 1.69€ is nothing for a game.

l4yercake
07-03-2012, 10:42 AM
here's some PC gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaiMLHVIeok

for the price of a diet coke I'll bite...

bdo7
07-03-2012, 10:48 AM
I remember hearing about this before it came out and thinking it sounded like a cool concept. I always meant to check it out but never got around to it. Now's the time! I love these daily deals.

P.S. I wish people would stop whining about these "is it worth it" threads. I read them every day and really enjoy them. It's so good to know what ordinary gamers think about each title. I think Metacritic is valuable, but a lot of those reviews (both critic and user) are posted by people who have played a game for an hour or less and are just anxious to hurry up and give their first impression. On these "worth it" threads, you usually hear from people who have played the games all the way through, maybe more than once. I find it to be a little more informative.

Thanks to all for taking the time to post your thoughts here, some of us DO appreciate it. (Those who don't - hey, don't read it, okay? There's other stuff on the internet for you, I promise!)

stereoled
07-03-2012, 10:56 AM
So what exactly is wrong with this game? Judging from the videos and screenshots it looks pretty neat but the regular price is 5 and its metascore is only 50 - so what's the matter? Pretty sure I'm buying it anyway for that price anyway, just curious

Aitkenj
07-03-2012, 10:58 AM

Yeah and dragon age 2 is awesome. :rolleyes:

The was pretty mediocre and it felt like it could of been brilliant with the setting.

Im going to give it another go through at 1.69.

DeadMan8
07-03-2012, 11:00 AM
I've played it a long time ago, nothing special, but i've got a headache, the FoV is awful.

TheFourteen
07-03-2012, 11:01 AM
Definitely worth it. The soundtrack alone is awesome, and I actually liked the voice acting.

ElfShotTheFood
07-03-2012, 11:10 AM
So what exactly is wrong with this game? Judging from the videos and screenshots it looks pretty neat but the regular price is 5 and its metascore is only 50 - so what's the matter? Pretty sure I'm buying it anyway for that price anyway, just curious

There's nothing really "wrong" with the game. At the time it was reviewed the game cost $60 and it's certainly not worth that much, so I can see why the scores were low.

It's an okay shooter; not worth $60 but for $10 or less it's fine.

Rossa_AU
07-03-2012, 11:18 AM

Sometimes the experience of a few friendly forum goers can mean more than a stupid metacritic score.....lol

Seriously though, i like this game a fair bit; Average gameplay, but the setting is pretty cool and i like the soundtrack as well... One of those games you could say is underrated, especially for $2. For that price it's well worth it imo.

Forgot to mention, for those with a Logitech G15 keyboard, makes sure you don't have the Legendary plugin active at startup or it actually starts the game every time you turn ur PC on lol. The plugin seems to cause lag as well from memory.

seanc821
07-03-2012, 11:39 AM
I just bought it! I'm kind of surprised that it's 8 gb. It seems like it will have some pretty set pieces and entertaining creatures to fight. I intend to enjoy thoroughly! Unless it's buggy and just plain dull.

The developers of this game also made Turning Point: Fall of Liberty, which I havent played, but it got some pretty nasty reviews.

Here, Here. I agree.
I played Turning Point : Fall of liberty and enjoyed it. I'll bite for $1.69.

..btw...anybody remember Conflict : Denied Ops? I really enjoyed that game a lot. My wife and I had a great time with the story and the co-op. Metacritic score was in the toilet.
Use the green number for a guide but don't use that as your only influence. You'll miss out on a lot of fun.

ponyboy82
07-03-2012, 11:43 AM
I remember hearing about this before it came out and thinking it sounded like a cool concept. I always meant to check it out but never got around to it. Now's the time! I love these daily deals.

P.S. I wish people would stop whining about these "is it worth it" threads. I read them every day and really enjoy them. It's so good to know what ordinary gamers think about each title. I think Metacritic is valuable, but a lot of those reviews (both critic and user) are posted by people who have played a game for an hour or less and are just anxious to hurry up and give their first impression. On these "worth it" threads, you usually hear from people who have played the games all the way through, maybe more than once. I find it to be a little more informative.

Thanks to all for taking the time to post your thoughts here, some of us DO appreciate it. (Those who don't - hey, don't read it, okay? There's other stuff on the internet for you, I promise!)

+1 Well said!

radioman970
07-03-2012, 11:48 AM
^^ yep, good stuff. And I've played this game A LOT!

Love it! Glad others like it too. I feel it's grossly underrated. Nobody is calling it Halflife 2, but it's just a fun game with some unique visuals. the current price is a steal. And it works fine on w7/64.

K E V 1 N
07-03-2012, 11:48 AM

If threads like this bother you so much you could, Oh I dunno, not read it and move on.

:rolleyes:

Karkadinn
07-03-2012, 11:53 AM
It's under two dollars. How could it NOT be worth it? Seriously, assuming you like the genre and idea they're going for in the first place, how amazingly bad would a game have to be to not be worth A BUCK SIXTY? The only thing that I could think of that would hold me back is if the game was literally so buggy it wouldn't run, or saddled with very intrusive DRM (unrefundable install limits, etc).

I've never heard of this game before, but I checked out a few Youtube videos, liked what I saw, and now I own it. I seriously doubt I'll be unhappy with it even if it turns out to be only as fun as... say, the hugely overrated Doom 3.

brighat
07-03-2012, 12:25 PM
I remember watching the videos I downloaded from PSN and the designers were talking brash stuff about their game. They did a good job selling the game to me. Then the middling reviews came out for it, plus the one rough review by Jeff Haynes, and the game went straight to the bargain bins.

For $1.69, it's a no-brainer if you like shooters and it's worth trying out to see what it could have been...but a caveat. I know the guy who wrote the review here for Legendary and he says it has a bug near the end that won't allow you to finish the game. I doubt it was ever patched so just keep that in mind before you buy.

Varnor
07-03-2012, 01:31 PM
Some could say another thread, another whining "Oh no another is it worth it thread, read Metacritic" post

Metacritic is arguably THE worst way to go about buying a game. I love games that have ratings of between 50 / 60 Metascore, usually because not many reviewed it, and several of those were 2 bit critics that hate the genre and so rated the game rubbish

For the price I'm tempted to give it a go

RagingLoon
07-03-2012, 02:01 PM
Why? Why do you even read these threads and why do you bother posting your garbage opinion that has no value to the thread? Stop being a meddler in "is worth it" threads!

Memphix
07-03-2012, 02:27 PM
A gaming community discussing games? STOP THIS MADNESS :<

Jip_Bip_Jo
07-03-2012, 02:29 PM
Duke Nukem was a rail shooter too and everyone liked that one, as was Doom, etc.

Uh, these are not rail shooter styled games at all.

Bieeanda
07-03-2012, 02:31 PM
I don't care about the buck seventy I paid. I'd pay that much for a bucket of farts, just to say that I had one.

The eight gigs of bandwidth on a capped line, however... this particular bucket of farts just wasn't worth it.

tolek73
07-03-2012, 02:32 PM
I depend on the "is it worth it threads" because, as stated above, you can only weigh a metacritic score so far. One needs to hear from others how the game plays out, and how patches have improved the game over time. It is not always about the price for me, it is about the time I have to invest in playing a game that may or may not simply be fun!

I bought this because it looks like an exciting special-effect adventure. Other games, such as BF3, I paid a fortune on only to have it crash on me all the time. I got a refund (thanks, Paypal!) and spent the money on other, working games after reading the "is it worth it" posts! :)

Hi2u! Tw1TcH
07-03-2012, 03:22 PM
Well, just remember that with games you usually get what you pay for. I wouldn't classify Legendary as a diamond in the rough either. But for 1/3 the price of a starbucks coffee, can't really go wrong.

Slade1972
07-03-2012, 03:23 PM

Agreed. They're often considered corridor shooters.
For the price, and the age, this seems like a good price to gaming ratio. Sold.

AegisX
07-03-2012, 03:52 PM

A score of 50 is not bad, dumbass, it's average.

corronchilejano
07-03-2012, 04:20 PM
A gaming community discussing games? STOP THIS MADNESS :<

Stop having fun guys. (http://xkcd.com/359/)

ArcAngel33
07-03-2012, 04:28 PM
I remember most of the professional critics really liking the early artwork/video and the promise that the game had. The reality just didn't live up to the hype and, like many other games, it paid for it via scores.

Sans hyperbole, there is nothing to measure it by and it becomes a relatively decent shooter.

Elenoe
07-03-2012, 04:32 PM
coop?

Dryk
07-03-2012, 04:46 PM
You beat me to it, nobody who has ever actually played Doom would make that mistake. The level design is way too open for anyone to not notice.

ArcAngel33
07-03-2012, 04:47 PM
coop?
nope /5char

Gone19
07-03-2012, 06:13 PM
After watching a YT video of the first 10 or so minutes of this game I think I'll pick it up. That was a pretty damn epic beginning and worth the $1.69 price tag for sure. Everything else is just bonus.

alexUW
07-03-2012, 06:13 PM
I'm waiting for Summer SEAL; I have a feeling it might be cheaper, if not it will only be pennies more expensive.

Not like were going to play the game right away anyways.

Gone19
07-03-2012, 06:52 PM
I'm waiting for Summer SEAL; I have a feeling it might be cheaper, if not it will only be pennies more expensive.

Not like were going to play the game right away anyways.

You do realize that it's a $1.69 right? You really want it cheaper than a $1.69 or need it cheaper/willing to wait for it to MAYBE get cheaper when it's currently $1.69?

Seriously this has me laughing pretty hard right now.

lizard81288
07-03-2012, 06:53 PM
All I can tell you is that I think it's a great experience. I think the graphics look great and the atmosphere is really unique. Mythical creatures wreaking havoc everywhere on such an epic scale. Indeed it is a "rail shooter" because your path is predetermined for you but I find the theme and atmosphere of it to be thrilling and unique. Duke Nukem was a rail shooter too and everyone liked that one, as was Doom, etc. This one though is a little more restrictive than even those or so it seems to me so far. I really love it, there's just nothing like it that I've seen before. I was trying to find something like Godzilla online to watch and then I decided to go back and try Legendary and was blown away by it. It was perfection for the experience I was looking for. It's not breaking any new ground in gameplay mechanics whatsoever but if watching a city earthquaking and shattering as the ground falls beneath your feet and lava springs forth, wyverns flying down through the skyscrapers and picking up cars and smashing them down, and all manner of mythical creatures popping up all over the place.. sounds fun to you, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Think of it as a highly interactive movie and it's worth the $2.50 or whatever it goes on sale for, for sure.

I don't think you will find anyone on multiplayer ever. This game really seems to be about the experience of the story to me. This really isn't a multiplayer-focused game, this is an "epic" guided FPS special effects extravaganza. And when I say "the story" I mean the setting, because it isn't much of a story it's just a lot of amazing action and sights and sounds going on. I think if the theme, setting, story, atmosphere of it all doesn't hit your mood then it will just be an uninteresting shooter to you. You have to be in it for the specific scenery of its world and not for gameplay mechanics.

I can't say you'll like it, but I was dazzled but the epic scenario that played out before my eyes and ears. Again, not epic in a profound meaningful story sort of way, but in an incredible pure action what the hell is going on all around frantic apocalypse kind of way.

Rail Shooter seems like a bad choice of words. Rail shooters are games the more for you more or less. Like arcade games with light guns or Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicles. This would be just a shooter. You can freely move, from the GP videos.

I'll pick it up for cheap.

Damn these steam sales. I'm going to be spending so much money on games i have never heard of, because they are so cheap.:D

alexUW
07-03-2012, 06:57 PM
You do realize that it's a $1.69 right? You really want it cheaper than a $1.69 or need it cheaper/willing to wait for it to MAYBE get cheaper when it's currently $1.69?

I'm thinking of buying it, but since I'm not going to play it right away [going to back log], I'm willing to wait for the SEAL [worst case scenario it will be 50% off]. However, maybe it will reappear at 75% off like it did it past sales.

jimrad1
07-03-2012, 07:09 PM
A few postage stamps, worth the ride for me.

/

cjkfire
07-03-2012, 08:28 PM

Considering the game has been much cheaper, it could well be worth it to wait.

Lowest Price: $0.75 USD at GamersGate (December 21st - 26th)

http://www.steamgamesales.com/hazLY/legendary

ShockLobster
07-03-2012, 08:42 PM
Hahah I wouldn't be capable of paying my Internet bill if I was so strapped I had to wait for a 75 cent sale over 1.69.

GK147
07-03-2012, 09:14 PM
Indeed it is a "rail shooter" because your path is predetermined for you but I find the theme and atmosphere of it to be thrilling and unique. Duke Nukem was a rail shooter too and everyone liked that one, as was Doom, etc.

Dukem Nukem 3D and DOOM weren't rail shooters per se, they were linear in the sense that you were going from one end of a hellish labyrinth to the other. (http://img.myconfinedspace.com/wp-content/uploads/tdomf/210303/leveldesignclassic.jpg)

Deverica Wolf
07-03-2012, 09:39 PM
I don't care about the buck seventy I paid. I'd pay that much for a bucket of farts, just to say that I had one.

The eight gigs of bandwidth on a capped line, however... this particular bucket of farts just wasn't worth it.

Best post ever.

Gerladnola
07-04-2012, 12:33 AM
About 2 hours into the game and I have to say I am really enjoying it. It really has a Bioshock feel to it. It may not be a "A" title, but its definitely a "B-" at least. And what an amazing opening to a game. Very Epic watching mythological creatures tearing up a city. Its so worth the $5 price - At under $2 its a steal!

Get it while its at such a low price - If you like First Person Shooters you won't regret it.

Grimhound
07-04-2012, 01:19 AM
Been playing for about an hour or two. So far the game is decent. Weapons feel alright, it's a straight linear game, and the enemy variety isn't too shabby so far. There are some frustrating bits (especially if you try to play on Hard), but I've yet to feel like I did playing Homefront where I wanted to put a gun in my mouth, so that's good.

Sorimachi
07-04-2012, 07:10 AM

Ignoring the fact that this thread was posted in March... Don't you get bored of trolling daily deals? Every time there's a thread asking about a daily deal, you're there posting the same old unhelpful comments. Too bad we can't give neg rep. You deserve a lot of it.

Phoenix210
07-04-2012, 07:12 AM

Metacritic ! I loled.
Another day, another moron who believes these scores have any weight whatsoever. Metacritic....next thing is YouTube comments are wise.....

winterforge
07-04-2012, 08:06 AM
Considering I pay more than this for my coffee, and even more for lunch when I eat out (and sometimes it's not even that good and over in less than half an hour) I'd say it's worth it.

HomeX2
07-04-2012, 08:19 AM
Does anybody know its FOV? Changeable? Thanks.

brighat
07-04-2012, 08:24 AM
I bought it. The YouTube video changed my mind.

BlueDraconis
07-04-2012, 09:02 AM
Played for an hour and I'd say it's even worth the non-discounted price of $5.

spardin
07-04-2012, 09:43 AM
played about 2hours now paid 1.69
like most have said its no HL2 but for less then 2 its a fun game to play.

kitekrazy
07-04-2012, 02:26 PM

Just like another day, another stupid forum noob placing a turd in a helpful thread.

You can't always trust review sites since developers pay them advertising $$$.

I kind of agree with you if the game was $30.

kitekrazy
07-04-2012, 02:28 PM
A score of 50 is not bad, dumbass, it's average.

Noooooo, it's bad. You don't see them that low.

Elenoe
07-04-2012, 07:01 PM
it was fun :) it had VERY cheap beginning, but it has nice story and GOOD apocalyptic world (a LOT of dead, dying or ready-to-die people :) ). And if you get through first "strange" hour, you get used to it and you will enjoy it until end :)

ShadowHawk81
07-05-2012, 04:44 PM
If I was to compare this to say a similar themed game like Painkiller, I think where Legendary succeeds between the 2 is having a more interactive immersed experience with the world and its characters. Whereas, Painkiller its just about shooting and feels very empty psychologically. All interaction with characters mostly being from short cut scenes, and rare.

The whole idea of fantasy crossing with reality is cool too. I literally got disoriented constantly with all the city destruction. Even though it seems scripted, at first you really have a hard time knowing where to go, when you get on the streets.

If there is a DOOM 4 Hell on Earth, they should take ideas from this game. Its exactly how I would see the classic Hell on Earth, but without Barons and Pinky Demons, etc. Oh and Cacodemons, I could just imagine all that horror in this way.

Razgriz2099
07-06-2012, 03:00 AM
I have no regrets buying this game, its kinda like an interactive B movie. But that elevator problem near the end is sucky.

Mikeedude
07-06-2012, 02:49 PM
I can't knock the game for the 1.69 price, it kept me entertained for longer than a film.
The story was interesting if not a bit cheesey and the monsters looked very cool.
Worth a sale price...

ShadowHawk81
07-06-2012, 07:33 PM
so far I haven't noticed voice acting as poorly done. More like that its silly, in a B movie sense at times.

dimi_gr
07-07-2012, 02:36 AM
Bought this game on sale and started playing yesterday. It isn't that bad at all. I think it is ok for in between...

Chubz
09-26-2012, 02:58 PM
I'm about 2 hours in and have had a lot of fun playing this. It's rather cool.

Whiterabbit01
07-03-2014, 06:31 PM
Does anyone have a copy of Turning Point: Fall of Liberty in their inventory. I'd be willing to pay 100 (approx $170 for it) or the equivalent in games (I have around 250 games and dlc in my inventory, including some removed games, plus another thousand steam keys for loads of other games. If you chose games instead of cash, I'd give you the equivalent of double, that's
200 (approx $340), but the game would have to be chosen from either my list of spare steam keys or my inventory; though I may consider buying at least one AAA game/ pre order included in the deal.

This isn't a joke, I've been after this game for years. i have a hard copy of the game, but it is damaged. It only plays to the point where your character escapes from the upper part of the skyscraper via an elevator. The game always crashes at that point. I've spent many hours trying to get past but each time it's crashed at exactly the same point. Thanks in advance to anyone who does have a spare copy and is willing to sell or trade. :)

Count_D
07-31-2014, 06:37 PM
I bought it for less than 50 cents and I still want my money back. The gunplay is horrible, the art style is laughable and this game has the worst iron sights aiming ever.

Jitterskull
10-23-2014, 06:26 AM

Following a main-stream opinion and especially let it influence or even modify your mindset, is the worst insult you can ever do to yourself. You're a what wrong with humanity nowadays, depending of someone else belief system whose in most case were been heavily infienced as well, without having courage and your own mind to build up your own taste and then opinions, a merely slave of modern day system of standards of "life", if it's even possible to call it a "life".