PDA

View Full Version : Endless needs fixing

Lurpsukka
03-16-2012, 02:39 PM
I tried endless mode on the first map and played for over an hour with the same waves coming over and over again. Ended up with over 200k score until I finally gave up of exhaustion. They need to up the difficulty mode for each growing wave or otherwise there's no point. Other than that, great game!

SeonR
03-16-2012, 04:38 PM
Hi, sorry, this is a bug and has been fixed in the next update ( 1.0.2).

Jani666
03-16-2012, 07:57 PM
So my 800.000 and something points on the wall will last forever. It takes 8 hours or so to get them. :) ;)

SeonR
03-16-2012, 08:51 PM
So my 800.000 and something points on the wall will last forever. It takes 8 hours or so to get them. :) ;)

That's an interesting dilema. One I think we are going to fix by leaving the Endless mode alone (as in, keep the issue like it is) and add a new mode so players on endless can keep their scores and players that want an escalating difficulty can play the new mode.

I wish we would have found this issue before release, but now I feel like it's unfair for those with scores to have them removed.

schnitz76
03-16-2012, 09:06 PM
While I understand you not wanting to upset the people that have the top spot on the leader boards if all that amounts to is just letting your machine run for X amount of time to get Y score I would suggest taking the hit now and wiping the scores. At some point it will just turn into a how long will a person let the game run to get the top spot. Just my suggestion.

Jani666
03-16-2012, 09:25 PM
Just to make this clear, I expected the highscore list will be erased when the new endless mode is up.
I have no problem with that.

SeonR
03-16-2012, 10:12 PM
Ok, that is great to hear! Thanks.

The main problem is that not everyone will update after the new release as Desura and MAS and iOS users are not forced to update like on Steam and everyone competes in the same scores ladder.

So wiping scores wont help if users are still running an older version :(

I'll think about it more before I make a rash decision.

I appreciate your feedback though!

Jani666
03-16-2012, 10:29 PM
Maybe this is indeed the easiest decision:

One I think we are going to fix by leaving the Endless mode alone (as in, keep the issue like it is) and add a new mode so players on endless can keep their scores and players that want an escalating difficulty can play the new mode.

Lastly itīs called endless mode for a reason. :)
I drank half a bottle of Tequila during my "endless" session until I had to give up. ;)

SeonR
03-16-2012, 10:35 PM
Maybe this is indeed the easiest decision:

Lastly itīs called endless mode for a reason. :)
I drank half a bottle of Tequila during my "endless" session until I had to give up. ;)

Half a bottle? Wow.. could you focus on your screen still? lots of blue and red dots? :-)

Mivo
03-17-2012, 01:18 PM
How about renaming the current "endless mode" to something like "patience mode"? Or "couch potato mode". ;) The fixed mode could then be named "endless mode". Users of the unpatched version would still see the couch potato mode as "endless mode", but that's probably a minority of players, with fewer every passing day.

SeonR
03-17-2012, 01:32 PM
Mivo, sure, but that doesn't solve my problem of other platforms from steam not forcing players to update to latest version like Steam, so then I will have a mix of right and wrong scores in the system.

This issue, though fixable, has a lot of ongoing consequences.... oh the joys of software development :-)

Mivo
03-17-2012, 01:49 PM
I don't know how you are sending the scores, but couldn't the updated versions just send the scores for the new endless mode to a new leaderboard? Or is the name of the leaderboard/mode part of the data you're sending?

SeonR
03-17-2012, 03:32 PM
Yes its part of the data I am sending :( Thats how it's identified, especially in Steam leaderboards. Don't worry, i will work it out... just have LOTS to do right now and I am only a one man Indie dev, so have to tackle it all myself :-)

SeonR
03-18-2012, 12:30 PM
Ok, so I have fixed Endless mode, it now escalates. It's MUCH harder and you can't just set it and forget it. Too hard now? Maybe, but thats the point. Cubemen was never designed to allow set and forget... that's what I hate about other TD games.

What I have done with the old scores is left them in but don't show them if you are running the newer version of Cubemen onwards, so people not updating can see their scores, but people playing 1.0.2 onwards will not see older scores.

This seems like a good solution. Thoughts?