PDA

View Full Version : Looks awesome. Let's predict how it'll be incredibly disappointing.

vbl
03-20-2012, 05:31 PM
Here are my picks:

Sloppy controls because the developers aren't shooter enthusiasts
Terrible AI ruins squadplay
Repetative, unbalanced multiplayer modes make online play excruciating

Billshere
03-20-2012, 05:33 PM
Massive Stuttering and frame rate drops.

Your turn.

DaRoach
03-20-2012, 06:15 PM
It has already received an average score on consoles, maybe things wont get terribly messed over during porting. Looks interesting in my opinion, I'm deciding whether or not to pre-order the PC version.

Dillinja666
03-20-2012, 06:45 PM
brink...nuff said

Biffa999
03-20-2012, 06:49 PM
Crap UI
Mouse smoothing
Auto aim
No FOV option
Can't keybind all buttons mouse/keyboard
Can't turn off bloom/HDR
Can't adjust camera angle

Console port looks like this.. lets see how much they care about PC gaming..

Heids24
03-20-2012, 07:15 PM
It has already received an average score on consoles, maybe things wont get terribly messed over during porting. Looks interesting in my opinion, I'm deciding whether or not to pre-order the PC version.

Well, many reviews did give the story high praise. And the player reviews are pretty strong too. I'm intrigued. It's just a matter of how much of a console port this will be.

I'm on the fence for preordering. If the multiplayer was more robust, it would be a definite buy for me. I've heard others say it plays like a futuristic SOCOM with a little bit of Counterstrike mixed in. That sounds awesome. I've always wanted a SOCOM style of mp on the pc. The biggest problem is many say the map offering is limited and feels like they added it on to check it off as a deliverable. This would limit the longevity of it. Pretty disappointing if that's true. The vids I've seen the multiplayer actually looks like fun so I hope there is a plan to support it post-launch.

DaRoach
03-20-2012, 07:21 PM
It's just a matter of how much of a console port this will be.

I'm on the fence for preordering.

Yeah same here, a quick google search gets little results on PC version specs. Albeit it has just been announced, due in April is the other half.
Multi-player, I'm assuming because this is SEGA still, is most likely going to be P2P. More info is certainly helpful as this is all speculation.

30hourweekpls
03-20-2012, 07:27 PM
I've heard from posters on other forums, who are well acquainted with Japanese arcade-style third person shooters, that this game is pretty awesome. I'm probably going to preorder solely on the basis that the PC hardly ever gets games from this genre, but it would be nice to know if there will be anyone to compete with online past the first few days. At least it won't have the negative stigma of GFWL working against it. I think Warhammer: Space Marine did pretty well and is still played today. I hope the same for this game because, frankly, it looks mechanically better.

Feelgood
03-20-2012, 08:51 PM
Was all gung ho till I saw this game is third person, yuck, and nothing about dedicated servers. Looks to be p2p coop and versus. Not for me.

iamthestupid
03-20-2012, 10:17 PM
Looks like Space Trader: Merchant Marine

nuff said

bdo7
03-21-2012, 12:11 AM
A lot of the user reviews I've read say it's a so-so multiplayer game, but an absolutely epic single-player experience. One guy was on his third playthrough.

Speaking for myself, I have zero interest in multiplayer, so this made it shine a whole lot brighter for me. Plus, it looks technically impressive.

Awaiting system requirements and/or playable demo.

lysiu
03-21-2012, 12:22 AM
No this game will be a perfect port.
It will have:

* FOV option
* vsync option
* borderless windowed mode
* high resolution support with real high resolution textures
* every other single graphic option you might dream of
* fully reconfigurable controls
* support for third party joypads
* split screen support
* alt+tab friendly
* official mod tools
* dedicated servers
* lots of free dlcs
* hats
* 24/7 support
* add anything here

bdo7
03-21-2012, 12:28 AM
LOL! Your wish-fu is very strong. :)

Just some 1:1 mouse control is all I ask... and most companies fail to deliver even that. (They add extra code to make their games suck. I'll never understand it, ever.)

insanefred
03-21-2012, 03:34 AM
Crap UI
Mouse smoothing
Auto aim
No FOV option
Can't turn off bloom/HDR

Damn, you beat me too it.

DeadPhoenix86
03-21-2012, 08:41 AM
i have it for xbox 360. very amazing and challenging looking game. and the A.I is pretty good.

MADDOGGE
03-21-2012, 10:08 AM
No this game will be a perfect port.
It will have:

* FOV option
* vsync option
* borderless windowed mode
* high resolution support with real high resolution textures
* every other single graphic option you might dream of
* fully reconfigurable controls
* support for third party joypads
* split screen support
* alt+tab friendly
* official mod tools
* dedicated servers
* lots of free dlcs
* hats
* 24/7 support
* add anything hereI like your style.:cool:
For me personally I'd include in your list both manual and quicksave options.
Multiple save slots because saves never get corrupted.
Multiple profiles that can be both created and deleted.

Unfortunately it's likely going be be as Biffa999 said which is more or less the standard these days:
Crap UI
Mouse smoothing
Auto aim
No FOV option
Can't turn off bloom/HDR

I'm going to take a wait and see attitude.

p00k4kk3
03-21-2012, 11:33 AM
I saw the "over the shoulder" view in the first screen shot then closed the store window. End of story.

TwwIX
03-21-2012, 08:37 PM
That's easy. All i needed is to take a quick look at the publisher of this game.

SabreXT
03-22-2012, 01:59 PM
I saw the "over the shoulder" view in the first screen shot then closed the store window. End of story.

That's a boring story. Didn't even follow the 3 act structure. :P

Although I wonder what you don't like about over the shoulder cameras.

Also, a related question. I know about the FoV thing, or at least the reason given for wanting to change it, but I doubt all the people requesting it are getting motion sick or have multiple monitors in a super wide set up.

HDR and Bloom, it seems more like people just wanting to cheat in multiplayer.

bdo7
03-22-2012, 11:43 PM
Again, I'm excited about this game, so I am NOT bashing it. However, I feel like taking a stab at your questions. They're reasonable questions, but people who have played PC shooters for a long time know the answers already. Anyway, here goes:

"over the shoulder camera" - because I can't see half the things that are trying to kill me. Why should I be blocking my own view?

"FOV" or "field of view" - PC monitors are widescreen, generally smaller than televisions, and usually much closer to the player's eyes. the combination of these factors makes a game look and "feel" much better with a wider FOV. With a narrower FOV, a game can feel artificially claustrophobic and create a "tunnel vision" effect. Cut a cereal box in half and try to walk around while looking through it, and you'll get the idea.

"HDR and bloom" - sometimes these can make a game look very nice, but when not done with restraint, they can make it more annoying than pretty. A catastrophic recent example (and probably the reason it's been mentioned here) would be EA's "Syndicate" rehash. The bloom effect is so bright in places that it is literally not possible to see enemies, objectives, or game objects. More than one reviewer has pondered how that game ever made it past the QA department with such an absurd level of bloom. It's one of the primary factors generally cited in that game's awful review scores. For that reason, it might be on some gamers' minds as they look forward to another science-fiction shooter.

The option to disable post-processing effects can also help performance on certain computers, which is another reason it's just nice to have the option to disable it. That's not to say someone might want to turn it off to make multiplayer matches easier, but I would hardly call that "cheating." Adjusting your graphic options, controls, and so forth to give an optimal experience for smooth gameplay is not immoral. Running a special modification that removes all the textures in the game's environment is another matter, but simply turning off fancy post-processing effects doesn't fall into that category, not by a long shot.

Just an answer, for what it's worth.

Luckz
03-23-2012, 08:12 AM
To try to steer this back onto a more serious note, do any of our console pals here know if there are plans for extra content to flesh out the MP? The SP looks very fun, but "awesome robot game, but the MP has no robots" makes me a pretty sad panda.

DeadPhoenix86
03-23-2012, 08:34 AM
i wish there was co-op for the single player. at some point it feels that you have to babysit the A.I. and this should have been co-op based from the start.

SabreXT
03-23-2012, 09:33 AM
Again, I'm excited about this game, so I am NOT bashing it. However, I feel like taking a stab at your questions. They're reasonable questions, but people who have played PC shooters for a long time know the answers already. Anyway, here goes:

"over the shoulder camera" - because I can't see half the things that are trying to kill me. Why should I be blocking my own view?

"FOV" or "field of view" - PC monitors are widescreen, generally smaller than televisions, and usually much closer to the player's eyes. the combination of these factors makes a game look and "feel" much better with a wider FOV. With a narrower FOV, a game can feel artificially claustrophobic and create a "tunnel vision" effect. Cut a cereal box in half and try to walk around while looking through it, and you'll get the idea.

"HDR and bloom" - sometimes these can make a game look very nice, but when not done with restraint, they can make it more annoying than pretty. A catastrophic recent example (and probably the reason it's been mentioned here) would be EA's "Syndicate" rehash. The bloom effect is so bright in places that it is literally not possible to see enemies, objectives, or game objects. More than one reviewer has pondered how that game ever made it past the QA department with such an absurd level of bloom. It's one of the primary factors generally cited in that game's awful review scores. For that reason, it might be on some gamers' minds as they look forward to another science-fiction shooter.

The option to disable post-processing effects can also help performance on certain computers, which is another reason it's just nice to have the option to disable it. That's not to say someone might want to turn it off to make multiplayer matches easier, but I would hardly call that "cheating." Adjusting your graphic options, controls, and so forth to give an optimal experience for smooth gameplay is not immoral. Running a special modification that removes all the textures in the game's environment is another matter, but simply turning off fancy post-processing effects doesn't fall into that category, not by a long shot.

Just an answer, for what it's worth.

FoV- Yes, I get that. I remember a big issue with Half Life 2 when that first came out was the FoV making people motion sick. There are other games that had restrictive FoV. The thing is, while a big issue with Half Life 2, it was a minority of players and, in some cases (I think section 8 did this but don't quote me on it) they fixed the FoV and people still wanted the option to change it.

I get it's a problem, there are special monitors and other things of that nature. However, it's a problem that seems to have grown disproportionally to games becoming popular. How many people are really having tunnel vision, and how many just want a legal way to cheat by increasing the FoV to see guys sneaking up on them?

HDR is much the same. Yes, at times it can be a pain. Yes, you can bind controls and tweak settings to get a minor edge, but again, a small minority have issues (I don't like depth of field because it always seems to focus on the wrong thing at critical moments) but how many people are really having issues as opposed to people who just want an edge? Single Player and Co-op. Fine. This thread, there is no way to tell for sure, but in the case of other games, the vast majority of people demanding these changes are multiplayer only. Why do single player and co-op gamers almost never get motion sick, tunnel vision, problems with bloom, ect. Yet competitive players all have it constantly?

To try to steer this back onto a more serious note, do any of our console pals here know if there are plans for extra content to flesh out the MP? The SP looks very fun, but "awesome robot game, but the MP has no robots" makes me a pretty sad panda.

I doubt there will be any. Let's be honest here. This game is going to dead in a week. Every "Really good" multiplayer games like Blacklight, Section 8 and that Batman game just recently, all died in a week iirc. So a "ok - bad" game isn't going to last long.

There is a co-op survival mode if that's your thing.

i wish there was co-op for the single player. at some point it feels that you have to babysit the A.I. and this should have been co-op based from the start.

I agree. I'm a big co-op fan, and normally I roll my eyes at people who demand co-op in everything (I used to be on a co-op forum where that was the dogma as they assumed spawning an extra player was all that was needed) but in this game, where you always have a bunch of guys with you? Why is it not co-op?

Vixx
03-23-2012, 10:21 AM
brink...nuff said

I hear you, bro :/ Damn, I cried..

ElfShotTheFood
03-23-2012, 10:24 AM
People need to stop being so snobby just because some games are in third-person.

bdo7
03-23-2012, 11:20 AM
Third person is cool. First person is cool. The ability to switch back and forth when you want to is REALLY cool. :)

In Skyrim, I usually play in third person outdoors, but when I get into a tight, cramped dungeon, there's no way I could play like that.

In other words, sometimes it makes the game hard to play, and sometimes it doesn't. In these screen shots, the player character seems to be taking up rather a lot of the screen, unfortunately. It could at least be zoomed out a little bit.

Still, the game looks like a blast anyway. Can't wait.

SabreXT - good points re: multiplayer and taking unfair advantage of video options. I'm not into MP (like, at all) so I don't really think in those terms, but you're probably right. Still, I'd hate for SP fans to suffer a limited range of options just because of MP abuses.

A moot point, probably, because if we're lucky, we'll get a choice of resolutions, and that's it, lol.

SnarKs
03-23-2012, 01:43 PM
I watched a video of the game and the guy commentating talked about the story and mentioned global warming. I laughed, skimmed through video and said no thanks.

hamsun
03-23-2012, 06:39 PM
Splash page / box art has the main character firing his pistol and yelling... Kinda hearkens back to Sega Genesis/Megadrive box art. Maybe it's because I was a preteen at that time that I am thinking that age group is their target market...Maybe it's because the story could have been written by twelve year olds...Dunno

Not for me.

30hourweekpls
03-23-2012, 06:56 PM
I doubt there will be any. Let's be honest here. This game is going to dead in a week. Every "Really good" multiplayer games like Blacklight, Section 8 and that Batman game just recently, all died in a week iirc. So a "ok - bad" game isn't going to last long.

Blacklight and Section8 had GFWL working against them, though. We'll never know how many people there are in this world who will pass up on a game simply over GFWL, but if we go by most forum posts, there are quite a lot. Binary Domain is equipped with Steamworks, which isn't loathed nearly as much.

Also not every third person shooter does horribly on PC. Space Marine had a lot of players for weeks, and I think it's still played competitively today. Then again, it has the Warhammer license.

DestructY
03-23-2012, 07:02 PM
Crap UI
Mouse smoothing
Auto aim
No FOV option
Can't turn off bloom/HDR

Pretty much my thoughts , hope it doesn't turn out to be true though. Just got off the demo on the PS3 and really enjoyed it. Feels like Gears of War meets iRobot .... yes please if the port turns out good.

Noticed a lot of jaggies too + frame rate drops feeling like low 20s , a good PC version of this title would do it justice.

SabreXT
03-23-2012, 11:48 PM
Splash page / box art has the main character firing his pistol and yelling... Kinda hearkens back to Sega Genesis/Megadrive box art. Maybe it's because I was a preteen at that time that I am thinking that age group is their target market...Maybe it's because the story could have been written by twelve year olds...Dunno

Not for me.

Off topic, but I liked the box art. Given most shooters just have the hero walking towards the camera with an explosion behind them. Fable 2 had some good box art too. But now we are talking about what is basicly adverts and packaging.

Blacklight and Section8 had GFWL working against them, though. We'll never know how many people there are in this world who will pass up on a game simply over GFWL, but if we go by most forum posts, there are quite a lot. Binary Domain is equipped with Steamworks, which isn't loathed nearly as much.

Also not every third person shooter does horribly on PC. Space Marine had a lot of players for weeks, and I think it's still played competitively today. Then again, it has the Warhammer license.

Never thought about GFWL. Although my point was that most action games that are not the multi million hyper popular games like CoD, Halo, ect are usually dead in a week, maybe a month if you're lucky. I doubt a game with a reputation for being sub par will last, and asking for post release support and map packs is expecting alot.

Pretty much my thoughts , hope it doesn't turn out to be true though. Just got off the demo on the PS3 and really enjoyed it. Feels like Gears of War meets iRobot .... yes please if the port turns out good.

Noticed a lot of jaggies too + frame rate drops feeling like low 20s , a good PC version of this title would do it justice.

It's the framerate that's doing it for me, but that's why I'm waiting.

Qwips
03-24-2012, 07:48 AM
I'm going to pre order it based on the game play and the story alone $40.00 is worth 15 hours of playtime for me I hope the multiplayer takes off.

Cheers

Austin007
03-24-2012, 09:35 PM
brink...nuff said
you beat me to it. The pain still burns.

I have to laugh at the guys who say "I have a 19" monitor so FOV doesn't bother me". Screen size has no bearing on the effect of a narrow FOV. setup a test, you'll see. :) no offense.

Luckz
03-25-2012, 10:36 PM
but how many people are really having issues as opposed to people who just want an edge?

I don't have issues with FOV, motion sickness, anything -- but playing any of those terrible gamebryo piles Bethesda keeps puking out makes me feel like the view was zoomed in like crazy. In either case, a FOV of 80-90 is not an unfair advantage. A FOV above 100 is what people used in the good old Quake 3 days, but that's crazy fisheye stuff.

Every "Really good" multiplayer games like Blacklight, Section 8 and that Batman game just recently, all died in a week iirc. So a "ok - bad" game isn't going to last long.

My friend plays Gotham City Impostors every damn day. They also just added extra content to it.

RavN
03-26-2012, 01:54 PM
Actually, japanese games generally have ok PC ports for the most part. For example, the lost planet series, devil may cry 4, the last remnant, resident evil 5. If they can make a port of that quality then I think it should be fine.

I do hope they include FOV options. Not a big deal to me (I have a 17 inch monitor), but I understand how some people need a wider fov.

Dillinja666
03-28-2012, 12:06 AM
I hear you, bro :/ Damn, I cried..

you beat me to it. The pain still burns.

Because of that one game alone I will never pre-order anything again. Not pre-ordering has caused me to dodge a few poop bullets now, i think I'll wait to see the flame fest on here after the game is released before I fork over my hard earned money.

misterzurkon
03-29-2012, 04:14 AM
Having finished it several times on console, I can say the game is pretty great.

The story is pretty neat, a good mix of Blade Runner, GitS and a generic cover shooter set-up to ease you in.

The characters are hit and miss. The lead and his BFF are pretty lame for the most of it, the British Duo are pretty standard Ameriephobes, and the French Robot and Sniper add a bit of hidden depth to the cast. But they are all acted well and they arc in a fairly interesting way.

The gameplay is surprising solid coming from Super Monkey Ball/Yakuza Team. The gunplay works great, the Cover works well, and the enemy AI and damage response is pretty cool. If you blow off their legs they will crawl at you and try to grapple you, if you blow of an arm they will try to pick up their gun with their intact arm, if you blow off their head they go haywire and attack their allies.

The team AI is OK, they have a bad habit of running in front of you during gun fights, but human players do that all the time in other games so i can't really blame the AI for not being smarted than the average gamer.

There are decent amount of customization elements, Like using money earned to upgrade weapons, buy ammo and supplies, and buy nanomachines that work as skill boosters.

The best way to describe it is a smarter Gears of War, or a Streamlined and Much more solid shooter version of Mass Effect.

DeadPhoenix86
03-29-2012, 05:03 AM
Having finished it several times on console, I can say the game is pretty great.

The story is pretty neat, a good mix of Blade Runner, GitS and a generic cover shooter set-up to ease you in.

The characters are hit and miss. The lead and his BFF are pretty lame for the most of it, the British Duo are pretty standard Ameriephobes, and the French Robot and Sniper add a bit of hidden depth to the cast. But they are all acted well and they arc in a fairly interesting way.

The gameplay is surprising solid coming from Super Monkey Ball/Yakuza Team. The gunplay works great, the Cover works well, and the enemy AI and damage response is pretty cool. If you blow off their legs they will crawl at you and try to grapple you, if you blow of an arm they will try to pick up their gun with their intact arm, if you blow off their head they go haywire and attack their allies.

The team AI is OK, they have a bad habit of running in front of you during gun fights, but human players do that all the time in other games so i can't really blame the AI for not being smarted than the average gamer.

There are decent amount of customization elements, Like using money earned to upgrade weapons, buy ammo and supplies, and buy nanomachines that work as skill boosters.

The best way to describe it is a smarter Gears of War, or a Streamlined and Much more solid shooter version of Mass Effect.

well said :) and +rep for you.

SabreXT
03-30-2012, 12:15 AM

Ok, quick off topic question. Is it worth investing in team mates? Can you get the good ending using the same team mates all the time, or do you have to mix it up?

misterzurkon
03-30-2012, 10:35 PM
Everyone has to be at least 3 out of 4 bars of trust filled by the ending, meaning you have to divide the party pretty evenly and go for tons of headshots, melee kills, multi-kills and respond well to their comments. Also try very hard to avoid friendly fire, and try to exploit the few places with unlimited spawns for easy trust boosting.

VERY MINOR PLOT SPOILER...

There's a scene near the end where your team will rush you ahead while they try to rescue another teammate, be sure to go back and help with the rescue

Keksus
04-02-2012, 10:37 AM
Here are my picks:

Sloppy controls because the developers aren't shooter enthusiasts
Terrible AI ruins squadplay
Repetative, unbalanced multiplayer modes make online play excruciating

Squadplay is not needed. The game is too easy. I played it on Hard and didn't even need to order my mates around. Also they have the tendency to run in front of you while you're shooting.

Multiplayer is dead. You won't find many players. The few players that you'll find also only seem to play Team Deathmatch. It's like this on the PS3. Doubt it'll be different on the PC.

arafeli
04-03-2012, 11:11 AM
brink...nuff said

im sorry i got brink
in the trailers they said our ai is soo smart and when i got to the game the ai was soo bad

SabreXT
04-03-2012, 11:00 PM
im sorry i got brink
in the trailers they said our ai is soo smart and when i got to the game the ai was soo bad

and the game was favoured the defenders to the point where you might as well surrender if the defenders had any brains, and their claims of making story in a MP game, and having a seamless MP and SP experience were lies too. It was just bot matches.

statistx
04-05-2012, 07:12 AM
If anyone is more concerned about the game itself than it being a console port, the commentator Seamus (SSoHPKc) made a full playthrough, so you can see how it is gamewise.
It took me personally to watch about 6 episodes to see that i am interested in this game, cause i'd say then it picks up with the story and so on, luckily his commentary made it interesting to watch til then.

Link to his playlist of the game (if you are into sarcasm, also check out his other stuff) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zmHjy8ViLM&feature=list_related&playnext=1&list=SPF41812F5BB9AB721

Also as someone said before in this thread, i think it compares to the missions in mass effect.
I don't get much of the Gears of War feeling when watching it, but it reminds me a lot of how Mass Effect was in ME2 and 3.

Billshere
04-05-2012, 11:08 AM
I've actually heard someone call this game "Mass Effect 3 done right."

statistx
04-05-2012, 11:41 AM

I'd say thats too far fetched.
Sure, the gameplay might be better than mass effect 3 during missions gameplay, but those missions are only a part of mass effect.
It's easier to make a part more complex, if that part is the whole game.

ambiguitate
04-05-2012, 12:42 PM
I searched for realese date on binary domain , i already got the game , but i can't download it , here is the link http://www.gamers-lab.com/game/binary-domain/pc-system-requirements-and-release-date/ ,it's true ? 6 more hours till realese date?

bdo7
04-05-2012, 01:21 PM
Mar 6 was the original release date, but it has been delayed.

It should be out sometime this month, though.

Keksus
04-05-2012, 07:37 PM

The games have many similarities. But there are also many differences. First of all: BD doesn't care about choices. It has 1 story and that's it. Nothing depends on your choices, except how much your team mates like you and follow your orders. But the story stays the same. You have 3 or 4 different endings but also these are mostly the same ending with a few changes which don't effect the story at all.

Personally I prefer BD to Mass Effect 3 because the fights are more entertaining. But sometimes I wish you would have some choices. But then there's the point that the game never promised you that you have choices at all. And thanks to this there's no arguing about the ending. I also think the Balancing is a bit worse than the Balancing of ME3. The boss fights are challenging, but all in all the game is too easy. At the end I didn't need to use cover at all. I was able to rush through the levels and kill everything on first contact.

There are many things this game doesn't get right, but if I think about the game I just think about a great game. The things it does wrong, as sever as they sound, aren't that bad and don't ruin the experience.

misterzurkon
04-06-2012, 01:02 AM
I'd argue that every Bioware game before Mass Effect and every Fallout Game, and Alpha Protocol was "Mass Effect done right", But that's a topic for another place.

Dramonicous
04-06-2012, 04:45 PM
disappointing cuz it doesnt look impressive?
mp will die in a week assuming theres no matchmaking or lobby bugs at launch

Valore
04-07-2012, 12:56 AM
While I agree with many of those worried this will be another pre-order regret, (I dodged the Brink bullet because I wasn't impressed by the singleplayer aspect) the fact the game's already out on consoles and rated okay should be reassurance enough.

The only thing that could go wrong is that the porting is horrible. Which hopefully fingers crossed, won't be the case.

UMS
04-09-2012, 03:03 PM
brink...nuff said

that's exactly what came to mind.. burn me once...

oliathsg
04-10-2012, 07:00 PM
Why are any of you even here other than to fuel this troll thread?
You are speculating on how bad a game that has not even been released will be?!!

This game had great reviews.
I came here to check the release date and saw this thread which pretty much sums up Steam forums.

Delete troll thread.

bdo7
04-11-2012, 12:48 AM
Not exactly a troll thread... more sort of "unbridled pessimism."

The game HAS been released on consoles. Everyone agrees that it's pretty good. The Steam folks (PC users) are concerned that the PC port will suffer the usual PC port problems, as so many games have before. So someone started this thread to discuss this grim possibility.

Trolling? No. Whining, yeah. HOPEFULLY the PC port will actually be released soon, and we'll all know for sure.

You know what's kind of ominous, though, is that the developer hasn't made a single appearance to address even one specific PC-porting concern. Locked FPS, fixed FOV, mouse acceleration / smoothing, graphics options, remappable controls.... nothing. Not a peep.

In any case, these forums are for discussing Steam games, which is what (almost) everyone in this thread is doing. :)

SabreXT
04-11-2012, 09:23 AM
Why are any of you even here other than to fuel this troll thread?
You are speculating on how bad a game that has not even been released will be?!!

This game had great reviews.
I came here to check the release date and saw this thread which pretty much sums up Steam forums.

Delete troll thread.

Trolling by calling people trolls. Clever.

As said, the quality of the game is known, but the lack of a demo and past experience of PC ports has people concerned. Plus it's a handy way to filter the worthless opinions. As already seen, some people are expecting Mass Effect or some kind of multiplayer masterpiece. It will be easy to gloss over those opinion when the game does come out and forum fills with the typical "Worsest game evar!" type threads and get right to those with legitimate issues.

That said, I am putting serious thought in pre-ordering so it might be worthless, for me anyway.

Luckz
04-11-2012, 10:15 PM
Trolling by calling people trolls. Clever.

There is a cure (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/profile.php?do=addlist&userlist=ignore&u=784629).

Fwiw, I bought this game (a preorder! what! wasting my money on a console port! the MP will be dead within two weeks!) and share the concerns voiced here. I still hope it will ship without a too gruesome FOV (think any Bethesda game's tunnel vision default settings or MW3 *barf*).

Dave3d
04-22-2012, 04:06 PM
I want to play too!

Cant disable Vsync
Cant turn off motion blur
Cant turn off any other blur
Cant turn off DOF

Crap UI
Mouse smoothing
Auto aim
No FOV option
Can't turn off bloom/HDR

HydrantHunter
04-22-2012, 08:24 PM
Mouse sensitivity, when turned all the way down, will still be way too high in game...and the mouse speed in the menus will be either 1/100th of play sensitivity or 100x play sensitivity, with no way to get them even close to each other. Vertical and horizontal sensitivity will be vastly different and non-adjustable.

FOV will be locked at 2. The FOV slider included with the first (and only) patch will affect gamma (instead of FOV) the first time it's moved, then stop working. The gamma slider was supposed to come in the second patch.

All keys will be un-remappable, and won't make any sense (A for backward, X for strafe right, Y for strafe left, B for forward, backspace for jump, F4 for crouch, etc.). Only 3 mouse buttons will be supported, and they'll be hard-mapped to 'interact', 'drop all inventory', and 'undefined error'.

The game won't support tabbing out/in - but if you force it with CTRL-ESC it will crash and take 3 random Windows drivers with it, then start playing NUMA NUMA in a loop with no way to stop it other than to reset the PC.

On installation it'll set your homepage to the game's official page, but the URL will have a typo. Changing your homepage back won't matter because the game will keep setting it every time it's played, and on every reboot. If it is unable to set the homepage, it'll randomly delete a file in system32...each and every time.

The installer won't be able to handle drives larger than 500MB, even though it's install size is larger than that. The only workaround will be to install to C:\Windows (but only if Windows is actually installed on C: - otherwise nothing will work).

When the game saves it will overwrite a critical game file instead of writing a save file (due to another typo) causing the game to crash instantly. Using Steam to fix the game will cause your save to be lost.

Uninstalling the game will delete every file Windows will allow the installer to delete...on every drive...across the network.

The actual end of the game won't be available until the 3rd DLC, which won't get made.

Oh man...I'm already looking forward to this...

JonathanJoe
04-24-2012, 01:31 PM
Why is their so much negativity in here?

played the game on 360

what do you do when you play a shooter?
most of the time, you shoot stuff right?
so shooting SHOULD be fun, the actual shooting, the feedback of the guns, the enemies and their hit reactions, the sounds.

I do not exaggarate when I say Binary Domain does shooting better than any game out there, and thats its main appeal

of course there is a lot of enemy types which is cool, bosses are insane and fun to fight and the pacing of the game overall is pretty damn good.

I honestly think its better than Gears of War

Dave3d
04-25-2012, 12:39 AM
I didnt take this thread as negative towards the game (since most of us here havent even played or seen it yet).
Maybe negative towards console ports. But, that is to be expected.

I just thought it was funny.
Having a good time until the game comes out.
:)

Luckz
04-25-2012, 07:54 AM
I honestly think its better than Gears of War

Most games are :D

But yes, it's possible to have high hopes for it, yet brace for the inevitable disappointment? After months, Gotham City Impostors now has a slider (!) for FOV that doesn't actually show you what FOV you have set.

vbl
05-10-2012, 06:49 PM
It's out. What's the verdict?

statistx
05-11-2012, 08:35 AM
My verdict: Great game, great story, but either get it on console, OR plug in your Xbox USB Controller (Any xbox cable controller will do)

It got some mouse issues, but with a controller i had absolutely no problem and the shooting doesn't require mouse control accuracy.

Aside from the controlling issues on PC, i would even dare to say it is one of the most underrated and undermarketed games this year.

HydrantHunter
05-11-2012, 11:22 AM
Warning: Holy moley! This is a *lot* longer than I intended.

TL;DR - not worth $40US imo. Read on to understand why I feel that way.

The game was definitely undermarketed, but I wouldn't say it's underrated. Ultimately it's a very bland, cover-based shooter that suffers from consolitis (sprint/dodge/cover are the same button; you can only 'climb' certain things, and then only when you get an on-screen prompt to press your 'use' key; QTEs popup with no warning and little time, often necessitating a repeat of the QTE once). You actually can vault over many things you use as cover (without the 'use' key thing), but usually only if you use it as cover first, then use your 'cover' key again to vault/roll over it. In general, the controls are cumbersome - sprinting past a box will often result in your character suddenly stopping and crouching against the box (right in the line of fire). Want to jump over a box and take cover on the other side? First take cover against the box, then 'roll' over it, then take cover again. I have 104+ keys on my keyboard - I neither need nor want sprint/crouch/dodge to be the same button. How long until forwards and backwards are the same button in games?

The robot mechanics are awesome, but that's about the only awesome thing. There are points where you can 'talk' to other characters (opportunities to build 'trust'), but agreeing with someone will sometimes make them like you less, and being a jerk to them sometimes makes them like you more - often the selection of choices makes no sense at all in the context of the conversation and it's a guessing game. Shooting your teammates during combat lowers their 'trust' - and that will happen a lot since their favorite place to be in battle is often directly in front of you, blocking the barrel of your weapon. Then they'll give you crap (and trust will drop) - because stepping in front of a weapon while it's being discharged is obviously the shooter's fault.

If you like long cutscenes with *very* short sequences of 'play' in between, then the first hour or two of this game will make you happy. If, otoh, you like to *play* games, this game is going to annoy you - every time you just start to get immersed the game will yank you out and make you sit through yet another cut scene. There are less as the game goes on, but still way too many.

The story is interesting, but it gets lost in the poor telling. Like so many games that try to add more 'facets' to the game play, there are 'things' to find, but the game discourages exploration by having your annoying teammates constantly yell at you to hurry up (and *why* would you search around an empty subway station for someone's misplaced 'log' when you're fighting to save the free world from a robot invasion?).

It just feels too 'thrown together' and not well thought out as an overall game experience. It's too bad, too, because the story does seem interesting, the robot damage model is quite excellent, *and* the upgrade system (both weapons and people) is pretty good. But everything else is 'just there' - it's neither helped by, nor does it add to the few things the game has going for it.

The patch that added mouse support to the menus just made moving the mouse change the menu selection - still no cursor. In fact, the added mouse support makes using the menus even worse, imo. In the menus, your in-game 'use' key is 'back/cancel' while your in-game 'dodge' key is 'enter'. Why should keys work essentially the opposite in the menus as they do in the game?

For $20US (or thereabouts) it wouldn't be a terrible deal for a mediocre console port, but at $40US it's not worth it, imo - it neither feels like nor plays like a *PC* game. I don't hate the game, but it's one of the few games I may never bother finishing - I have 13 hours into the game and it already feels like hours of grinding the same thing over and over. Ultimately, with all the cutscenes, it feels like a wave or hoard game - watch cutscene, fight waves in an area, watch cutscene, fight waves in another area, watch cutscene. I realize other games do the same thing and get away with it, but something about the way this game does it just doesn't work at all for me.

YMMV.

statistx
05-11-2012, 01:18 PM
Hehe i can compete with "Didn't intend to write that much" ^^

I accept your opinion as yours and won't try to change it, but i will adress some points i personally can not agree with:

sprint/dodge/cover = 1 button:
That is so often used, that you could even call it standard and is something that other games don't get mentioned as their weak point.
Out of my memory Gears of War has it, Fable has it, Mass Effect has it and I'm sure i could find some more games if i start them up to look.

3 Step take Cover:
Falls into the same category. You have to do the exact same steps in Gears.

In my opinion that means it is just adapting a common way of doing it, instead of botching it like Resident Evil: Operation Racoon City, where you have NO cover button and accidentally stick to corners once in a while, where you had no intention of covering.

AI and Trust:
Yeah sure, the dialogs are not really deep, but i had maybe 2 instances where i misjugded the right answer and accidentally answered in a way i wouldn't have wanted.
Happens even in Mass Effect where Dialog is one of the main gameplay elements instead of just a small original feature in a game that wouldn't even need to have such a feature.

ALSO BE AWARE: the whole trust system is nothing that impairs the gameplay other than how the cutscenes near the end and the end itself plays out, so it is far from being a problem. They say it also changes if teammates follow your orders, but 1) you don't really need those orders and 2) if you keep the same teammates their trust builds up very fast and some wrong dialog choices won't change that.

Sudden Quick time event prompts:
They threw me off the first time i encountered one, but usually they have a checkpoint RIGHT BEFORE the prompt and i think, out of my memory, there are 3 or 4 of those in the WHOLE game. Also they give you an exact bar on how long you have time and if you don't press it right when it flashes, you still got 2 or 3 moves of the cursor to get it in the center. (The QTE in this game are on a bar where an arrow moves from left to right and you have to click in a coloured area...like in those bowling games where you have to stop at the right force of your throw, only that there is an area instead of an exact spot to stop.....if that makes sense ^^)

What i DO agree though, is that the constant shouts from the AI can get annoying, but i have that in major titles like Skyrim too, commenting every time i pass a cave on 'wonder what's inside' and i DO agree, that they tend to step into your view when you are aiming, but that was also something i could ignore for the most part of the game and simply take the flank or front of the team, where i barely get interrupted by them.

Regarding the story: I think that is totally subjective.
I thought the cutscenes and story was great and read in several instances that people agree, so I can't really argue about that point, since it seems to depend on the person playing it.

I liked the characters, i liked how they played out throughout the story, i liked that they talked to me and that they had different dialogues depending on which members i take into my team and that it had cutscenes and story all through the game, instead of just tossing me into the mission and barely giving me any story with it (which is 80% of the customs in your usual action game)
Also i liked the graphics. Sure nothing that sticks out, but they weren't bad either and fitted the whole scenario, be it a highly modern city area, or a lower junkcity district.

So yeah, guess that shows the different opinions and that we can only agree on one thing: Controls on the pc version are 'crapily' ported and that you should play it either on console or with a controller plugged in.

Everyone thinking about getting it: Watch the youtube playthrough i posted in this thread to see graphics, story and gameplay, try to get your hands on it (friends or some other shady possibilities) and then decide for yourself.

HydrantHunter
05-11-2012, 05:34 PM
There ya go, vbl. Two different (and I'd say 'well reasoned') opinions regarding the game.

I hope what we've said helps you with your choice!

statistx
05-11-2012, 06:04 PM
Glad to see there are people on the internet still able to respect opinions and handle discussions in a mature manner.
You never know if you have to expect some hardcore flaming if you argue over made points :)

niripas
06-05-2012, 07:45 PM
I bought it on sale under $20, so cheap. Had to redefine some controls, turn auto-aim off etc, but all in all it took me 8 hours 45 minutes on normal difficulty, including watching cut-scenes, looking for shop terminals and datapads. I really enjoyed those "oh sh..t" moments, when had to figure out how to take the oponent down. Enjoyed headless chicken fights as well :D

All in all - I sat down and finished the game in one go with few short breaks, so it speaks by itself :)