PDA

View Full Version : Struggling with controls

Applekid
03-22-2012, 08:34 AM
I don't know why but I'm having the hardest time grasping the controls. I understand how they work but putting it into practice is another story. I keep retrying the first level and my best efforts are around 61%

Any tips?

frznbxy
03-22-2012, 08:41 AM
Hm. Make you sure completely understand what the amplitude and frequency of an oscillation signify, would be the only tip I could come up with. Other than that, it is just a matter of practicing, and soon you too will be able to modulate the wave on-the-fly to get every last collectable!

EdenIndustries
03-22-2012, 08:59 AM
I don't know why but I'm having the hardest time grasping the controls. I understand how they work but putting it into practice is another story. I keep retrying the first level and my best efforts are around 61%

Try not to sweat it Applekid, the controls, while simple to grasp, are meant to have a lot of learning built-in to them :). They're the only control you'll need across the whole game after all!

What I would recommend, which has helped other people, is move on to a few of the later levels. Each new level teaches you new things and helps you hone your skills. After a while, go back to the first level and I think you'll be surprised at how much you've improved :)

Applekid
03-22-2012, 10:37 AM
Thank you for the tips. I'm going to keep working at it.

Any hope at getting higher resolutions?

EdenIndustries
03-22-2012, 10:40 AM
You're welcome! And the game does actually support higher resolutions, I'm not sure why it's not showing up in the options menu. I'll get on that as soon as I can, but in the meantime there is an option to force it to use the resolution you want. I've posted it a few times around the forums (I should maybe make a dedicated post about it...) but I'll paste it again here for convenience:

There is a config.ini file located in the install directory of the game, probably something like C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\waveform\config\

If you open that file, you'll notice two entries:
ResolutionWidthOverride = ?
ResolutionHeightOverride = ?

Just change whatever is after the '=' to what you want it to be, for example 1920 and 1080 respectively if you want a nice big resolution.

That should work just fine, I know I tested on a monitor that supported that resolution. I'm not sure why it's not saying it's available in the Options menu though.

Let me know how that works for you!

Applekid
03-22-2012, 10:50 AM
Works fantastic. By the 3rd world I'm starting to enough of a hang of it to have some fun. Its a pretty fun little game. I'm ok with supporting this one man team.

Any hopes of releasing the OST?

Edit: The advice of going in a few stages worked so well. I think the tracer lines helped hold my hand a little. By the 4 planet I hit a 79%. I'm very pleased

EdenIndustries
03-22-2012, 11:16 AM
Any hopes of releasing the OST?

It's already released actually! http://scottmcfadyen.bandcamp.com/