PDA

View Full Version : Ys: The Oath in Felghana review is now up!

nukkus
03-26-2012, 08:57 AM
Hey everyone! My review is up at last! Sorry for taking so long, it took me a while to get through the challenging bosses. But dang did it ever give a good feeling of accomplishment.

Ys: The Oath in Felghana review on Slipgate Complex (http://slipgatecomplex.blogspot.ca/2012/03/ys-oath-in-felghana-review.html)

nukkus
03-29-2012, 06:42 AM
all these views so far, and yet no complaints?

pzotti
03-29-2012, 06:49 AM
Well I don't know why people did not leave any comments.. but that review was perfect! Good job :)

nukkus
03-29-2012, 09:51 AM
Well I don't know why people did not leave any comments.. but that review was perfect! Good job :)

Ahh, i'm not that good. I'm used to people complaining about my reviews actually, that's why i was surprised.

Wyrdwad
03-29-2012, 10:20 AM
Don't know why anyone would. Even if one were to disagree with that review, there could be no denying that it's written extremely well. You do an excellent job of defending your claims and expressing your enthusiasm.

-Tom

Aemony
03-30-2012, 10:35 AM
all these views so far, and yet no complaints?

I didn't dislike the pictures.

Happy?

sum-dude
03-30-2012, 11:10 AM
I don't like the Ligaty picture because the middle is a bad place to stand when they're doing that attack.

DrinkingWhiskey
03-30-2012, 11:20 AM
I do like the review quite a bit myself, the next game I buy on Steam will be Ys

Rhylos
03-30-2012, 12:24 PM
This game made me realize that hack 'n slash games are truly my favorite genre. Great gameplay and EPIC boss fights. Other games in the same vein are Viewtiful Joe and Devil May Cry, both of which are among my favorite games for the exact reason why I'm loving Felghana currently.

nukkus
04-05-2012, 06:49 PM
I still can't believe that the major news outlets haven't covered this yet :(

Wyrdwad
04-05-2012, 08:57 PM
I still can't believe that the major news outlets haven't covered this yet :(

Most of them covered the PSP release, and I guess they figured that was enough...

-Tom

xdevnullx
04-07-2012, 10:18 PM
Nice Review! I don't know how I missed this before but the presentation and content is spot-on.

Kudos, sir! (and thank you for taking the time to review this wonderful game!)

nukkus
04-08-2012, 09:01 AM
Nice Review! I don't know how I missed this before but the presentation and content is spot-on.

Kudos, sir! (and thank you for taking the time to review this wonderful game!)

Thanks for the praise! Be sure to watch for my review of Ys Origin after release!

Tulipopa
04-08-2012, 09:50 AM
A piece of advice to the OP: You should never introduce your review like you did in this thread.
It sounds like it's a favor from you, but no one asked for it ("here you go"). It also sounds like you are too busy doing something else (the review is not a high priority) or you are lazy ("took me a while").

If you want people to watch your reviews, you should make a small presentation in the thread. For example:

I am going to start the review with gameplay, then I'm going to move on to audio and visuals. And finally I'm going to conclude the review with overall enjoyment and replayability.

You could also give a shortened version of the review in text and rate it. For example:

Pros:
+ Fun & Addictive
+ Different playstyles
+ Beautiful graphics and amazing soundtrack
+ etc.

Cons:
- Generic story
- Lots of grinding in the harder difficulties
- etc.

Overall: 9/10

In my opinion the video should only be there if people wanted more detailed review or better reasoning. There are so many bad "reviewers" and "first impressions"-guys just trying to get views on their videos by posting the link. If you show in the threads that you actually made an effort with the review, people are more willing to watch it. Trust me.

PS: No it is not enough if the thread says "read the youtube description for more info!"

Wyrdwad
04-08-2012, 12:54 PM
I somewhat agree with adding a "pros" and "cons" section (though most of that can easily be determined by reading the text of your review), but I don't necessarily agree with assigning it a numeric rating. While this may potentially (and eventually) get you counted on Metacritic and other aggregate sites -- a definite plus -- it's always been something I've hated about reviews in general. Numeric or letter grades for reviews are both arbitrary and counterproductive a lot of times -- if you have a number or letter grade at the end of your review, many people will simply look at that and not read a word of the review proper. In addition, those who grew up in an educational system where 70-79% is graded as a C will almost always inherently see 7/10 as average, while those who grew up elsewhere in the world where 50% is a C will almost always inherently see 5/10 as average, no matter what you may specify in your review guidelines.

I've long believed that reviews in general need to do away with grades altogether, encouraging people actually to read the text if they want to know what the reviewer thinks of the game. As such, I found it refreshing that you review did NOT include any such grade, and would recommend you keep it that way unless you're specifically aiming for eventual inclusion on Metacritic.

-Tom

nukkus
04-08-2012, 01:42 PM
I somewhat agree with adding a "pros" and "cons" section (though most of that can easily be determined by reading the text of your review), but I don't necessarily agree with assigning it a numeric rating. While this may potentially (and eventually) get you counted on Metacritic and other aggregate sites -- a definite plus -- it's always been something I've hated about reviews in general. Numeric or letter grades for reviews are both arbitrary and counterproductive a lot of times -- if you have a number or letter grade at the end of your review, many people will simply look at that and not read a word of the review proper. In addition, those who grew up in an educational system where 70-79% is graded as a C will almost always inherently see 7/10 as average, while those who grew up elsewhere in the world where 50% is a C will almost always inherently see 5/10 as average, no matter what you may specify in your review guidelines.

I've long believed that reviews in general need to do away with grades altogether, encouraging people actually to read the text if they want to know what the reviewer thinks of the game. As such, I found it refreshing that you review did NOT include any such grade, and would recommend you keep it that way unless you're specifically aiming for eventual inclusion on Metacritic.

-Tom

Hey Tom, thanks for the wise words. I don't believe in a numeric rating system, if it was that easy to sum up a game there would be no reason to discuss it in detail. Everyone would just be "oh, this guy gave Earthworm Jim a 7.5, why should I bother if it's not an 8." I prefer to just generally share my personal feelings on a game, rather than give a clinically sterile view on it.

A piece of advice to the OP: You should never introduce your review like you did in this thread.
It sounds like it's a favor from you, but no one asked for it ("here you go"). It also sounds like you are too busy doing something else (the review is not a high priority) or you are lazy ("took me a while").

If you want people to watch your reviews, you should make a small presentation in the thread. For example:

You could also give a shortened version of the review in text and rate it. For example:

In my opinion the video should only be there if people wanted more detailed review or better reasoning. There are so many bad "reviewers" and "first impressions"-guys just trying to get views on their videos by posting the link. If you show in the threads that you actually made an effort with the review, people are more willing to watch it. Trust me.

PS: No it is not enough if the thread says "read the youtube description for more info!"

Tulipopa, I get the vibe from your post post that you didn't even stop to read the review, especially with your comments about the youtube video. I didn't even include a video, so I'm not sure what tangent you're going off on here with me wanting views on it, lol.

Tulipopa
04-09-2012, 05:18 AM
Tulipopa, I get the vibe from your post post that you didn't even stop to read the review, especially with your comments about the youtube video. I didn't even include a video, so I'm not sure what tangent you're going off on here with me wanting views on it, lol.

Indeed. I didn't even click the link for the reasons I posted. This is exactly the reason why I think there should be more explaining about the review in the thread itself. I automatically thought that it is another "novice youtube reviewer" trying to get popular. Anyways, all my criticism was meant for this thread and not towards the review itself. In my opinion it's important to get people interested about the review before they click on the link.

Personally I don't like when people grade their reviews with numbers or letters either, but I thought I'd mention it in the example if that is something you were doing in the review already. :)

nukkus
04-09-2012, 09:34 AM
Indeed. I didn't even click the link for the reasons I posted. This is exactly the reason why I think there should be more explaining about the review in the thread itself. I automatically thought that it is another "novice youtube reviewer" trying to get popular. Anyways, all my criticism was meant for this thread and not towards the review itself. In my opinion it's important to get people interested about the review before they click on the link.

Personally I don't like when people grade their reviews with numbers or letters either, but I thought I'd mention it in the example if that is something you were doing in the review already. :)

Well, I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but I'm just a dude with a blog. Just trying to get my opinion out there. That said, I'll take your advice and try to make my posts a bit more interesting, I guess I need to show a bit more self confidence.