PDA

View Full Version : BF3: Lazy way to unlock items

tooki100
03-27-2012, 09:45 AM
Pay to make yourself better.

Battlefield 3 has today introduced new "shortcut items" to its in-game store making it possible for players to buy items which otherwise would need to be earned through gameplay.

10 different shortcut items are available today.

The 10 shortcut items are available now from the PlayStation Store and the in-game store and include:

Kit Shortcut Bundle: Immediately unlocks all items unique to the four playable classes

Vehicle Shortcut Bundle: Immediately unlocks all items for all vehicles

The Ultimate Bundle: Immediately unlocks all items from all other available shortcut packs

The items will come to Xbox 360 when the latest patch rolls out.
VideoGamer.com Analysis

Source
http://www.videogamer.com/ps3/battlefield_3/news/in_game_item_purchases_comes_to_battlefield_3.html

taodemon
03-27-2012, 09:55 AM
In a way it is kind of lame but at the same time with all weapons being somewhat similar and with the later unlocks not being necessarily better it shouldn't be too big of an issue. Experience and usually play time will still likely win out.

ravage386
03-27-2012, 10:10 AM
I don't think I have ever thought, "that guy only killed me because of their unlocks." I've only been accused of being good because of unlocks once a few months back. I doubt it will be a balance issue.

The only thing that bothers me is that the hours I spent getting those unlocks are trivialized when you can skip the process with spare change.

tooki100
03-27-2012, 10:11 AM
yea, i am sure some ppl will buy this, I do like to unlock the attachments my self, because I gets me use to the gun for how it shoots and the recoil pattern, and its something else to do then just PTFO

blazur
03-27-2012, 11:09 AM
Lame. Way to underscore all the hard work for those who legitimately earned these items. I find it disgusting when companies do this kind of crap.

Zefar
03-27-2012, 11:22 AM
It's for console only people. I really don't care if they milk the hell out of the console version.

As long as they don't do it on PC it's ok imo.

Edit: At the time I made this post there wasn't anything that indicated it would be for PC. So no need to quote it for it.

tRustyTrombone
03-27-2012, 11:26 AM
Lame. Way to underscore all the hard work for those who legitimately earned these items. I find it disgusting when companies do this kind of crap.

Yep, agree 100%.

Sure, it doesn't necessarily make a new player to the game who buys the unlocks a better player. What really gets me though, is it's just another way for those greedy ♥♥♥♥s to make more money. Especially when they release this option now, so far into the game that a lot of new people will be tempted to buy the unlocks, just to keep up. As they say in their blog post "this is the perfect way to gain some ground on the veterans online". Implying that life will be difficult for you if you don't buy them.

Love how the industry is going. Disposable games that may as well expire after 1 year when the next one is forced down your throat. No mod tools, no free maps, and now pay for your unlocks. Guaranteed in a few years we are going to be paying publishers subscriptions just for the privilege to be able to play mulitplayer games online.

/End rant.

tooki100
03-27-2012, 11:40 AM
well I have not heard it coming to the PC yet, but it may happen, also the subscriptions mulitplayer games online maybe also coming sooner that we would like, I remember before MW3 was released that though of that idea, but it was just COD elite is what came out of it

sadistic234
03-27-2012, 02:19 PM
I dont play Battlefield just for the unlocks, I play it because its fun, so, if someone is going to pay for something that i get for free while I am having fun, I think that is a waste of money IMO

Minamimoto Sho
03-27-2012, 02:25 PM
I dont play Battlefield just for the unlocks, I play it because its fun, so, if someone is going to pay for something that i get for free while I am having fun, I think that is a waste of money IMO

That's besides the point. Nothing can be balanced if someone can have more options than you do. This isn't a Korean MMORPG, so why is this bull♥♥♥♥ included?

ViSkY
03-27-2012, 02:32 PM
Whats the point of playing good if theres nothing to unlock, I honestly got somewhat bored myself after unlocking all the assault rifles...

Minamimoto Sho
03-27-2012, 02:39 PM
Whats the point of playing good if theres nothing to unlock, I honestly got somewhat bored myself after unlocking all the assault rifles...

This is a first person shooter, not Barbie.

ViSkY
03-27-2012, 02:40 PM

Sorry, I dont get it, I never played with Barbies.

ravage386
03-27-2012, 03:36 PM
Unlocks get you something to work towards. I've been less interested since I unlocked all the guns some time back and when I finish Scout Choppers and Jets, I won't really have any goals left.

kmrking
03-27-2012, 04:00 PM
its to get people playing on console again tbh

divine_skills
03-27-2012, 05:35 PM
The game would be better without unlocks anyways. Metro wouldn't be as popular and people would be on an even playing field right from the beginning, as it should be.

The bad players will still be bad even if they had the best guns in the game.

Ferax
03-27-2012, 06:24 PM
The game would be better without unlocks anyways. Metro wouldn't be as popular and people would be on an even playing field right from the beginning, as it should be.

"finally i got all these unlocks for this op weapon for just $9.99

now i have to farm my kdr in metro so people will think im a pro and maybe play in a mlg"

Redtide
03-27-2012, 06:40 PM
Unlocks shouldn't exist in the first place but if DICE wants to exploit noobs dumb enough to pay then go right ahead.

Frankly I'm glad they've waited this long and kept it off PC. If they released this on the opening week it would be madness.

Brain_Explodes
03-27-2012, 08:39 PM

Unlocks shouldn't exist in the first place but if DICE wants to exploit noobs dumb enough to pay then go right ahead.

Frankly I'm glad they've waited this long and kept it off PC. If they released this on the opening week it would be madness.

Agreed. All weapons and equipments should be available from the start (or at least with very few points required to unlock). I never get this level-up/unlock crap in Multiplayer FPS games. It's not like if the team is full of low ranked players, the entire US army suddenly loses an entire inventory of guns and equipments, or tanks suddenly don't have mounted machine guns and helicopters suddenly don't have missiles.

Squallboogie01
03-27-2012, 10:00 PM
Lets all go play 1942 where there is no unlocks and the game play is much more balanced.

MyIdaho
03-27-2012, 10:01 PM

Awesome, I'd give you plus 100 rep if I could! :D

Rhodsie
03-27-2012, 11:15 PM
Honestly I'd buy the vehicle one, I play mostly on infantry/armor maps so my air unlocks are atrocious, wouldn't mind paying a few bucks to finish them off.

Zefar
03-27-2012, 11:16 PM
Battlefield have had unlocks since BF2 or maybe earlier. But it's part of the game and you shouldn't remove it.

But why do you guys care so much? It's only for the console crowd.

Dendari
03-28-2012, 12:25 AM
I simply don't care. If people buy all the unlocks then good luck to be as good as someone who has unlocked them using the weapon.

ravage386
03-28-2012, 12:27 AM

Money is money. If it is profitable on console, what makes you think they won't bring it to PC?

tooki100
03-28-2012, 06:08 AM
yea like I said before I have not found article saying its coming to the PC, it may show here too

tooki100
03-28-2012, 02:05 PM
also now confirmed it the shortcut items for the PC..will be available @ origin store

http://blogs.battlefield.com/2012/03/beep-beep-battlefield-3-update-goes-live-on-pc-tomorrow-improved-commo-rose-and-minimap-lots-of-fixes-and-new-shortcut-items-live/

Kendo
03-28-2012, 03:38 PM
I knew they would, why wouldnt they want a few extra bucks

swank>>
03-29-2012, 03:37 PM
Something like this would have gotten me to play BF2. I uninstalled the game after about 30 minutes of play when I realized there was an unlock system and no hack (that I was aware of) to circumvent it. In my defense, I had never played an FPS with unlocks before this point. I thought it was silly and frustrating that I was being prevented from accessing game content.

Now I don't mind. I just don't play for teamwork anymore as a result. I play for unlocks and personal gain. My friends get frustrated because I don't help them win. But the game is designed to reward selfishness, so that's how I play.

lostdollar
03-29-2012, 08:26 PM
Honestly, in what way, shape or form does it matter? You can't buy skill. Some people don't have the hundreds of hours that the "hardcore" gamers have to unlock everything. They work, raise a family etc. It's much better value for them to work those hours at their job and pay a small fee to unlock a wider variety of weapons and plays styles, than spend all those hours doing nothing productive other than playing a video game.

Believe it a not, some people play for fun and enjoyment, not to build l33t stats and stroke their e-peen, and there would legitimately be a market for these sort of unlocks.

Unlocking the weapons from the start isn't going to make them a better player, that only comes from experience.

Personally I wouldn't pay for unlocking kits and weapons, because frankly to me its the same as buying On the disc DLC. It's all there, you shouldn't have to pay for it. However I can definitely see why some people would like this.

tl;dr Who cares, can't buy skill, get over it

Mgp
03-29-2012, 09:14 PM
I'd like an new real world/military fps with NO unlocks.

Overpriced as well, almost the cost of the game. Ridiculous.

HJP
03-30-2012, 01:56 AM
They should also sell "stat boosters" to raise your KD and WL ratios so that the noobs who buy this won't feel so bad after they've spent $25 and still suck.

Brain_Explodes
03-30-2012, 08:25 AM
Honestly, in what way, shape or form does it matter? You can't buy skill. Some people don't have the hundreds of hours that the "hardcore" gamers have to unlock everything. They work, raise a family etc. It's much better value for them to work those hours at their job and pay a small fee to unlock a wider variety of weapons and plays styles, than spend all those hours doing nothing productive other than playing a video game.

Believe it a not, some people play for fun and enjoyment, not to build l33t stats and stroke their e-peen, and there would legitimately be a market for these sort of unlocks.

Unlocking the weapons from the start isn't going to make them a better player, that only comes from experience.

Personally I wouldn't pay for unlocking kits and weapons, because frankly to me its the same as buying On the disc DLC. It's all there, you shouldn't have to pay for it. However I can definitely see why some people would like this.

tl;dr Who cares, can't buy skill, get over it

Profanity warning:
http://i.imgur.com/bjJWa.png

Originally intended for F2P/P2W games. But I think you'd like it. :D

sean_blaik
03-30-2012, 08:44 AM
It's for console only people. I really don't care if they milk the hell out of the console version.

It is for PC you can get it on origin :mad:

And I hate this it better say on the battle-log page, "paid for unlocks because he is a noob"

Zefar
03-30-2012, 09:09 AM
It is for PC you can get it on origin :mad:

And I hate this it better say on the battle-log page, "paid for unlocks because he is a noob"

Yea and that noob will be owned by good players but now he just has a later gun. It's not like it's impossible to get the other guns. All you need is high enough score.

At the time I made my comment there wasn't any post about it being for PC first.

The good players will still do just fine against any newbie. Also it's worth to note that the 2:nd weapon is often the best weapon in each class. Though for some classes it's the first.

CombineFrieza
03-30-2012, 09:18 AM
Eventually BF3 will have a hat store on origin and will become f2p, calling it now.

Medium_Rare
03-30-2012, 09:46 AM
They'll be disappointed. Early unlocks are as equally effective as later ones for the most part. Earning them is pretty fun imo.

Overt.Enemy
03-30-2012, 12:25 PM

Edit: At the time I made this post there wasn't anything that indicated it would be for PC. So no need to quote it for it.

Yep my thoughts exactly. I never play on console so they could make it Call of Duty MW4 for all I care.

The Shape
03-30-2012, 12:25 PM
I don't know why some people are making a big deal out of this. For one thing, it's their money to waste. Secondly, the kit shortcuts don't unlock all of the guns attachments so they still have to earn all of those.

joelegecko
03-30-2012, 06:05 PM
Pay2Win strategy not only smells bad, it also is over-priced. Nothing good can come out of corporate crap...

OldManMouser
03-30-2012, 06:10 PM
18 bucks and new players can have all helicopter, jet, tank, ifv, and anti air unlocks, what a load of ♥♥♥♥

Trashcantoy
03-31-2012, 12:58 PM
Now if the unlocks would be sidegrades or could be very easily obtained (by trading for example) it would be swell, kinda the system that TF2 uses (and TF2 is free too).

But paying 50 bucks for a game with unlocks, with the option to buy these unlocks? Congratulations EA, you have set a new low! At least I expected it would be you.

Gandler
03-31-2012, 07:51 PM
Battlefield have had unlocks since BF2 or maybe earlier. But it's part of the game and you shouldn't remove it.

Wrong, never before BF2. BF42 or BFV never had unlocks. And they are much balanced with no unlocks. I like the older ones much more.

Redtide
03-31-2012, 08:39 PM
In a perfect world, only customization items like the attachements and camos would have to be unlocked but there's far too many people who only play it for the unlocks for that to work anymore.

If players actually played to get better rather than run the treadmill of unlocks we wouldn't have any of this. That being a given, I'm fine with them making extra money of players who think unlocks will make them better.

rugalck
03-31-2012, 09:15 PM
I don't see it as a bad thing.

You know, over the years I learned something good about DLCs (not all of them), and it's exactly this.
You can see this as a way for noobs with daddy's money to get in your way that costed you finger bleedings and manly tears, but you can also see it as a way to help casual people who likes to enjoy a simple fast game cause they don't have that much time to unlock stuff. People who work almost all day long, people that are so busy, that only have time to play one round in the game in their whole day. Is it helpful? Yes.

Anyway, nothing can buy real skills, so if you have unlocked them manually, then congrats, cause you know exactly how does that weapon works, how can it be affected with some specific scopes and that stuff.

Does it sound that bad now?