PDA

View Full Version : Why is this game locked in my region?

Einherjah
03-28-2012, 08:30 AM
Just wandering..I'm from Israel and this game is "not available in my region", of course I can't get a friend to buy it for me cause it's F2P.

Punisher
03-28-2012, 09:00 AM
Try the non Steam version

http://ageofempiresonline.com/en/

MS Ryz0n
03-28-2012, 12:03 PM
Age of Empires Online is limited to regions that are LIVE supported (The game uses the LIVE service). For a list of LIVE supported regions see here:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/countries

Einherjah
03-28-2012, 12:15 PM
Nice, think I'll skip it then, steam was the only reason I was willing to give this game a shot.

QWERTY
03-28-2012, 12:18 PM
Nice, think I'll skip it then, steam was the only reason I was willing to give this game a shot.
You can play non Steam version and bypass the blockade of the country ;)

Protoss
03-28-2012, 01:00 PM
Do you know how offensive it is to me as a German to see someone excluding Israelis from a worldwide service?

I make sure this will become well known.

MS Ryz0n
03-28-2012, 01:28 PM

While you may be able to connect, most likely you will not be able to make any item purchases of content.

Developers and publishers do want to have as many people as possible to be able to play and buy our games! Unfortunately all sorts of different political, legal, cultural, and technical limitations don't always make that possible :(

The LIVE service is continually growing and expanding, and any new regions that become supported we will do our best to make sure the game is available in.

Chapa9dj
03-28-2012, 01:32 PM

You can still download the Steam version using VPN or any proxy redirecting to the US and fake the location when using the client.
Considering Codemasters and probably R* jumped of the sinking ship i really hope this is the last year for GFWL, i've had it with that useless bloatware.

localhost
03-28-2012, 01:36 PM
Try this:

steam://install/105430

Chapa9dj
03-28-2012, 01:42 PM
Try this:

steam://install/105430

Yeah, that's the direct link i was talking about in another thread but couldn't find.
Thanks a lot for posting it. I'll download it when i get back home.
+Rep.

Gentlemen?
03-28-2012, 02:20 PM
While you may be able to connect, most likely you will not be able to make any item purchases of content.

Developers and publishers do want to have as many people as possible to be able to play and buy our games! Unfortunately all sorts of different political, legal, cultural, and technical limitations don't always make that possible :(

The LIVE service is continually growing and expanding, and any new regions that become supported we will do our best to make sure the game is available in.

If you wanted to have as many people as possible play it you wouldn't have used GFWL.

Most other games on Steam don't have that problem.

StaunchGamers
03-28-2012, 03:06 PM

What exactly are the requirements for one country to be added as "officially supported" country?

orc_jr
03-28-2012, 03:12 PM
You know what I like about Steam? I download the game and press play and it works. You know what I dislike about GFWL? Take a guess.

mandosrex
03-29-2012, 03:26 AM
I am from Romania and it's also unavailable... this is just stupid...
MS Ryz0n there is no good reason for why this is happening!!!

I mean Steam and Origin and others have no problems with these countries and the 'MIGHTY' Microsoft can't find a solution...???
Please... this is just stupid... stupid and careless...

You cannot imagine how big the amount of romanian AoE players is... there isn't a single romanian gamer who hasn't played an AoE game in his life.

But hey, who cares you can make profit, right?...

Einherjah
03-29-2012, 09:15 AM
Look guys, I know I can download it outside of steam, but I wanted to DL it now because I heard theres a sale and I cant get most of the game for like..20$.
I don't wanna just Live's marketplace or whatever, I dont wanna start handing my credit card to every online store. I use steam exlusivly.
Thank you all for the suggestions :)

matiqos
03-29-2012, 11:26 AM
so, it is not possible to play aoeo if I am in unsupported region (Slovakia) and I have GFWL account in supported region? That's bad... I downloaded it, but i didn't have it in Steam library so i deleted it...

Rykuu_disaga
03-29-2012, 12:07 PM
region restrcitions are annoying. there are some great games made in Nihon that I would like to play, but since I am in the USA I am restricted from playing them.

White Castle
03-29-2012, 12:08 PM
I downloaded it, but i didn't have it in Steam library so i deleted it...

If it does not appear in your library try restarting Steam. If that doesn't work, go to the AoEO store page (http://store.steampowered.com/app/105430/) and hit "Play Game".

Mc'zee
03-29-2012, 01:35 PM
Hi;

I'm in Argentina and it's blocked for my country too, let's hope this game will soon be available for all regions. I'm not very comfortable with GFWL, but I'll accept to use it to play this game for free. However, if using GFWL also means that this game will be blocked for me, well.... that's not pretty kind.

MinDokan
04-01-2012, 10:08 AM
I'm from Argentina, too. And I really want to play this game on Steam.
I hope this change soon. :(

LeftY_CRO
04-01-2012, 12:59 PM
im from Croatia, and i cant view/buy AOEO too!
now when its a good offer, its not availalbe in my country, and when it will be at full price, then it will be available...

Straite
04-01-2012, 07:56 PM
Age of Empires Online is limited to regions that are LIVE supported (The game uses the LIVE service). For a list of LIVE supported regions see here:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/countries

Does that mean you have to install Live as well? I had hoped they would get rid of that when they made a steam version

Someday
04-01-2012, 08:27 PM
It is available in Brazil. Why it is not in Argentina? :confused:

MinDokan
04-01-2012, 08:59 PM
It is available in Brazil. Why it is not in Argentina? :confused:

Yeah, that sucks.
I don't know, crazy world.
They should make an announcement, and tell us why is not released on some countries. It is pointless from my point of view, since the game is available through GFWL.
I made a post on the other forums. I hope they change this.

Thanks.

MS Ryz0n
04-02-2012, 12:32 PM
Yeah, that sucks.
I don't know, crazy world.
They should make an announcement, and tell us why is not released on some countries. It is pointless from my point of view, since the game is available through GFWL.
I made a post on the other forums. I hope they change this.

Thanks.

While you may be able to download the game in other locations, it is not supported - and you will most likely not be able to make any type of purchases. We can only support the game in LIVE supported regions.

Also, regarding a question above - Games for Windows Live is still utilized when playing via Steam.

acare84
04-03-2012, 01:56 AM
That is why GFWL is trash. Region restricted online service in 2012 (they support only 30 countries in the world) LOL. They can't compete with Steam and Steamworks that way. Ditch GFWL and use Steamworks on this game Microsoft, maybe you can profit with this way. There are 196+ countries in the world and it supports only 30 countries, yeah GFWL is growing... It supports 1/6 in the world.

Andreson
04-03-2012, 08:52 AM

When it's possible don't forget all the CIS countries of ex-USSR!