PDA

View Full Version : Why isn't this the main forum for the STEAM release of AoE? No Microsoft forums plz.

Lexinator
03-28-2012, 10:26 AM
I bought the game through Steam and I want to use this as the main forum for discussion.

Any chance that we can have the official Visit the forums link from the game page (http://store.steampowered.com/app/105430/) lead here instead of Microsoft's AoE forums?

I don't really want yet another account to deal with. I already have Steam, Amazon, GmG, GoG, and now GfWL. All with their own forums. Make the madness stop, MAKE IT STOOOOOOP /wrists. ;)

Who else wants the game page to link to THIS forum?

White Castle
03-28-2012, 10:40 AM
Because that is Microsoft's official forums. That's exactly where it is supposed to link to.

Just bookmark this forum if you prefer this one.

The GPG developers and Microsoft community employees are very active and vocal on the official forums.

It's your loss if you don't want to take five seconds to setup an account there.

dmanthey
03-28-2012, 11:08 AM
Good thing I checked here first. This is the same reason I haven't tried Stronghold Kingdoms. I hate having to constantly make accounts.

I don't like GFWL and I certainly don't want to create another forum account on top of that just to ask questions or discuss the game.

Are there any other game like AoEO on steam? Preferably with a steam forum and no third party gaming service.

MS Ryz0n
03-28-2012, 11:12 AM
The account you use to log into the game (your LIVE account) is actually the same one you use to log into the official forums. No need to make all sorts of crazy new accounts at all.

Also you'll see goofy colored users like me active on here.

With regards to other RTS games on Steam, well there's always Age of Empires III - no GFWL required (It has its own older online service with an ESO account, but its quite painless). I'm a bit biased since I run Age3 :p
I'm not aware of other RTS + MMO combination games out there, its a fairly new direction for the industry.

dmanthey
03-28-2012, 11:20 AM
The account you use to log into the game (your LIVE account) is actually the same one you use to log into the official forums. No need to make all sorts of crazy new accounts at all.

With regards to other RTS games on Steam, well there's always Age of Empires III - no GFWL required (It has its own older online service with an ESO account, but its quite painless). I'm a bit biased since I run Age3 :p
I'm not aware of other RTS + MMO combination games out there, its a fairly new direction for the industry.

You got yourself a purchase. I thought I would need to make two accounts just to enjoy this game.

I would still like steam games to have a steam forum but thems da brakes.

White Castle
03-28-2012, 11:28 AM

^ I neglected to mention that.

It really is a quick and painless process.

You got yourself a purchase. I thought I would need to make two accounts just to enjoy this game.

I would still like steam games to have a steam forum but thems da brakes.

Well, AoEO does have a Steam forum... you're in it! ;)

But really, if you want to engage with the largest AoEO playerbase and especially the developers and community leaders, the official forums is the best place. And really, that interaction is priceless and an experience you can't get anywhere else.

HoosTrax
03-28-2012, 11:29 AM
It's so odd signing into your Live account from the Xbox.com website. You can tell they really take the PC audience seriously :rolleyes:. This whole GFWL thing feels like an abortion of a Steam wannabe service. And what the hell is a Microsoft point and why can't they make it a 1:1 correspondence with normal currency -- it almost seems intentionally designed to be deceptive and scammy, that 80 MSP costs $1 and not $0.80.

*deep breath* *GFWL rant over*

Anyways, it's quite likely you have a Live account anyway, even if you don't remember ever making one. It was required for Fallout 3 and Dawn of War 2, for example, before those two franchises switched over to Steamworks. Yes, I sometimes forget that I have Live and EA accounts as well.

Lexinator
03-28-2012, 12:20 PM
It's so odd signing into your Live account from the Xbox.com website. You can tell they really take the PC audience seriously :rolleyes:. This whole GFWL thing feels like an abortion of a Steam wannabe service. And what the hell is a Microsoft point and why can't they make it a 1:1 correspondence with normal currency -- it almost seems intentionally designed to be deceptive and scammy, that 80 MSP costs $1 and not $0.80.

*deep breath* *GFWL rant over*

Yep, that is why I am trying to limit the whole forum thing and account.

I just want one or two places for all my games AND forums. So far I like Steam and Amazon the best, with GoG being a distant third.

Between those two (well, 3) services, I can get all my games at a good price and chat about them. I have actually been using GoG less and less now that Amazon has some oldies for digital download. If that fails, there are always actual game media.

Jack Pipsam
03-28-2012, 02:28 PM
Because the non steam forums are often more civil and helpful than non steam forums.

AKA GFWL ♥♥♥♥♥ in everything you find on steam, which gets old fast, while the official MS forum has people ♥♥♥♥♥ing about issues within the game.

spartan0078
03-29-2012, 09:08 AM

Always nice when devs make accounts to chat and offer help on SPUF :) thanks!

I dont see what the problem is though? Just bookmark SPUF and AOE forums on your toolbar
It aint a hard concept lol

Rykuu_disaga
03-29-2012, 12:05 PM
I aint gunna read through all the posts incase someone already said this, but steam will not become the main forum because steam doesn't own the game in those respects. The main owner is Microsoft, so they have the official forum. It is like asking for a fan forum to become the official forum of a popular game despite said game having an official forum already... plus if your going to play the game, I belive you must have a MSN account anyways, and that is connected to the Xbox website where the game's official forum is located.