PDA

View Full Version : How do I do a proper Lunge Attack?

shmyazoo
04-01-2012, 11:08 AM
It doesn't seem to be working with me, the description says you have to attack right after stopping, but no matter my precision the only attack is the normal attack.

Anyone have any tips or any video showing this Lunge Attack?

Wyrdwad
04-01-2012, 12:22 PM
Timing is everything for the lunge attack. You basically have to tap the direction for a split second, let go completely, then IMMEDIATELY hit the attack button. And I mean immediately! The key is basically making sure there's not even a moment where no input is being processed by the game, nor a moment where double input is being processed -- it has to go straight from movement input to combat input, with no overlap and no gap.

Not a move you actually ever need to complete the game, though, but it can be fun to pull off.

-Tom

shmyazoo
04-01-2012, 01:19 PM
Yeah, I haven't felt the need for it so far, just wanted to "upgrade my arsenal" haha! Thanks, I'll try timing it perfectly.

shmyazoo
04-01-2012, 01:52 PM
I managed to do a few after trying a lot!

But I'm still not consistent with it, the attack needs to be so perfectly executed, like you said. Damn!

xdevnullx
04-02-2012, 01:43 AM
This attack should be changed to a double tap in a direction + attack, it's just not very useful the way it is now, with it being so inconsistent. And yeah it's rather unnecessary to get through the game, but being able to use the moves at your disposal effectively should not be hindered by struggling with such finicky control.

Wyrdwad
04-02-2012, 02:27 AM
I actually find it easier to pull off in Felghana than it was in Napishtim, and easier still in Origin (where it actually is quite useful, particularly when playing as the unlockable third character). If it were any easier to pull off, I think it might break the game a bit, as it would suddenly be much too easy to take down enemies.

-Tom

shmyazoo
04-02-2012, 07:47 AM
Now I can do it properly, after much training. It's a very nice attack, with a nice "Lunge" animation that really closes the gap between Adol and the enemies without jumping and yeah, it would be broken if it were easier to do, the damage output is high, I imagine people would abuse it.

Like you guys said, not necessary, but a nice option to have.

nighteyedie
04-02-2012, 08:52 PM
I actually found it easier to do by tapping a direction, letting go, -waiting a tiny bit-, then pressing attack. I found the waiting to be key, I could never get it to work when I press attack immediately after the direction. This skill is actually really key for getting some treasures in Ys 6.