PDA

View Full Version : PC version locked at 30FPS?

Amy
04-03-2012, 06:43 PM
Does you know if this port will suffer of a limit of 30FPS?

I know the cap were removed when Sonic Generations was ported from console to PC BUT it is NOT the same engine so i'm not sure.

If it's locked to 30FPS i will probably never play it, specially because it's a shooter and shooter locked at 30FPS aren't that great.

Oh and don't tell me 30FPS or 60FPS i will not see the difference.
Yes we can see the difference. http://boallen.com/fps-compare.html

Shaneluls39199
04-03-2012, 07:35 PM
Does you know if this port will suffer of a limit of 30FPS?

I know the cap were removed when Sonic Generations was ported from console to PC BUT it is NOT the same engine so i'm not sure.

If it's locked to 30FPS i will probably never play it, specially because it's a shooter and shooter locked at 30FPS aren't that great.

Oh and don't tell me 30FPS or 60FPS i will not see the difference.
Yes we can see the difference. http://boallen.com/fps-compare.html

Amy....you just tell me how to give rep and ill give you one.

cant stand people who declare there is no difference-and that you cant notice it.

hell i could confidently say most of us PC gamers can tell 40fps to 60. i know i can. im forever bookmarking that site to shove in peoples face when nerdrages happen

more related to the game: we probably wont know till release/game-play. which for you and myself would to be late to cancel : / got it for 32$ on GMG so not TOO hurt of/if a loss. the story looks awesome none the less....but i lust for advanced graphic options and 60fps

Amy
04-03-2012, 08:13 PM
Amy....you just tell me how to give rep and ill give you one.

cant stand people who declare there is no difference-and that you cant notice it.

hell i could confidently say most of us PC gamers can tell 40fps to 60. i know i can. im forever bookmarking that site to shove in peoples face when nerdrages happen

more related to the game: we probably wont know till release/game-play. which for you and myself would to be late to cancel : / got it for 32$ on GMG so not TOO hurt of/if a loss. the story looks awesome none the less....but i lust for advanced graphic options and 60fps

Rep is gived when you press the little balance thing under the nickname. Np, for the website, i lost my bookmark and i kinda searched it for sometime to find it back lol.

Anyway, the game probably not include the facial feature like LA Noire have so there's probably no possibility of face getting out of sync if FPS is higher.

So if it's locked, SEGA could unlock it or if they allow mod that could be maybe easly removable.

The game looks cool, and i want to run it at a very good and high sold FPS, not damm locked at 30FPS :S

brimley
04-03-2012, 09:32 PM
I really hope it's not locked. 30fps locking on pc is becoming a very disturbing trend. I could understand it with LA NOIRE because of the facial tech but not stuff like transformers and split second. And I agree, anyone who says you can't tell between 30 and 60 is delusional. I can tell the difference within 2 seconds of gameplay.

I will still buy it if its 30fps locked because it will still look better than console versions and I want to support SEGA, but I will be disappointed.

BC2 Cypher
04-03-2012, 10:30 PM
I really hope it's not locked. 30fps locking on pc is becoming a very disturbing trend. I could understand it with LA NOIRE because of the facial tech but not stuff like transformers and split second. And I agree, anyone who says you can't tell between 30 and 60 is delusional. I can tell the difference within 2 seconds of gameplay.

I will still buy it if its 30fps locked because it will still look better than console versions and I want to support SEGA, but I will be disappointed.

I doub't it will be.

Sonic Generations wasn't and it's the same developer so I doubt they would do it with this game.

EXvillain
04-03-2012, 10:34 PM
I hope not. this is exactly why I haven't preorder this game yet. if the game is hard coded at 30FPS, there's nothing you can do. console port, especially Japanese game, like this tend to have 30fps cap.

GODzillaGSPB
04-04-2012, 12:56 PM
First time I experienced the difference between 30 and 60 fps was in Transformers - War for Cybertron. Luckily there was a hack that disabled the lock. Before it felt like my bot was covered in glue, movement was choppy, slow, hindered. With a press of a button the game changed into "smooth mode".

30 fps lock is simply stupid! Nobody needs it, not on the PC.

I understand that L.A. Noire is the only valid exception, since it's unique facial animations have been recorded with 30 fps. Still, lag due to background loading made it almost unplayable for me, since every bit of loading send the frames down to 25 or less fps. :rolleyes:

ezodagrom
04-04-2012, 01:06 PM
Both games that were ported to the PC by this developer, Devil's Details, played at 60fps. The games are Virtua Tennis 4 and Sonic Generations.
In the case of Virtua Tennis 4, only the replays were locked at 30fps, the game itself played at 60fps.

SabreXT
04-05-2012, 04:24 AM
Unlikely. The framerate of the console version was all over the place. Not sure if it went over 30 though.

Also, thanks for that link.

Amy
04-05-2012, 08:36 AM
Both games that were ported to the PC by this developer, Devil's Details, played at 60fps. The games are Virtua Tennis 4 and Sonic Generations.
In the case of Virtua Tennis 4, only the replays were locked at 30fps, the game itself played at 60fps.

I thought Sonic Generations was ported by SEGA.

Well if the dev do a great job on this one too it will be amazing! The best console to PC port i've seen IMO.

Sweetz
04-05-2012, 01:57 PM
I could understand it with LA NOIRE

I understand that L.A. Noire is the only valid exception
Actually, there's no reason for it in LA Noire either. If you didn't keep up with the news, people figured out how to remove the crap - or more accurately to raise the cap to 60fps - and the facial animations were unaffected. The rate at which the facial animations display is not tied to the framerate.

Best guess as to the reason for the cap is to hide the game's uneven performance. With the hack to raise the frame cap to 60fps, pretty much anything above a GTX 550 can easily render interior scenes and interviews at 60fps on max settings, but when driving around, the framerate tanks to around 30-40fps on very high end systems. The rollercoaster changes in framerate can be jarring; locking it to 30fps leads to a more consistent overall experience. Though obviously some of us would rather have 60fps when possible, and I preferred to play with the framecap hack myself, but man it did suck when I had to do a car chase and the game felt super jerky in comparison to everything else.

---

Regarding the OP, while it's a reasonable question, how the heck do you expect anyone here to actually know the answer? Crystal ball? The game isn't out yet and whether or not a game has a framerate cap isn't usually part of a game's press release...

Amy
04-05-2012, 02:42 PM
but I will be disappointed.

Yup i could be dissapointed here if they lock it to 30FPS too :/

Probably affect multiplayer as well if a lot stop playing the game because it's gets annoying when a game specially a shooter is locked to 30FPS.

Vossil
04-07-2012, 06:36 PM
Let's just hope they implement a FOV slider and give us a good amount of settings to change in general. And yeah, please no 30 FPS lock.

Guidodogg
04-12-2012, 05:27 PM
I have this guy added, and his profile says he is playing the game already :S

ArsNG
04-13-2012, 02:45 AM
Guidodogg
easy trick, lol, i can do it too

Guidodogg
04-14-2012, 10:07 PM
Guidodogg
easy trick, lol, i can do it too

Add non-steam game with that name?

ArsNG
04-15-2012, 06:57 AM
Add non-steam game with that name?
nope. If u want to see that, add me, i show.

Guidodogg
04-16-2012, 10:57 PM
nope. If u want to see that, add me, i show.

Well, is there a way to play the game early or it is just rubbish?

ArsNG
04-17-2012, 01:47 AM
Well, is there a way to play the game early or it is just rubbish?

2-nd, corse. There are NO game content on Steam servers.

kevnb
04-27-2012, 03:55 PM

locked at 30 fps is pretty damn rare. Only a handful of games are locked.

kevnb
04-27-2012, 03:59 PM
Actually, there's no reason for it in LA Noire either. If you didn't keep up with the news, people figured out how to remove the crap - or more accurately to raise the cap to 60fps - and the facial animations were unaffected. The rate at which the facial animations display is not tied to the framerate.

Best guess as to the reason for the cap is to hide the game's uneven performance. With the hack to raise the frame cap to 60fps, pretty much anything above a GTX 550 can easily render interior scenes and interviews at 60fps on max settings, but when driving around, the framerate tanks to around 30-40fps on very high end systems. The rollercoaster changes in framerate can be jarring; locking it to 30fps leads to a more consistent overall experience. Though obviously some of us would rather have 60fps when possible, and I preferred to play with the framecap hack myself, but man it did suck when I had to do a car chase and the game felt super jerky in comparison to everything else.

---

Regarding the OP, while it's a reasonable question, how the heck do you expect anyone here to actually know the answer? Crystal ball? The game isn't out yet and whether or not a game has a framerate cap isn't usually part of a game's press release...

ya that engine is made for 30 fps, GTA iv feels better capped on most rigs.

scubs
04-27-2012, 06:08 PM
it's capped at 60 and even that is pretty lame.. many gamers like myself have 120Hz displays so it means we can get 120fps to match the hz refresh rate (vsync)

also, any possibility of getting the game to run in 3D (nvidia 3D) is impossible as the monitor needs 120fps (you get 60 fps per eye on the glasses) for smooth gaming.

anyway this game turned out to be the biggest blatant console port i've seen in a while..

DeadPhoenix86
04-27-2012, 06:14 PM
60 fps is pretty standard for PC games. because most people still run at 60Hz monitors.

everything is better than 30 fps.

scubs
04-27-2012, 06:20 PM
yes it's better than 30 fps, but 120Hz is already pretty popular. well at least if you're a gamer more than a casual gamer it is.

s1234567890m
04-28-2012, 02:33 AM
yes it's better than 30 fps, but 120Hz is already pretty popular. well at least if you're a gamer more than a casual gamer it is.

yep, sweaping statement etc feel free to present proof on how popular it is to warrant extra dev time

DeadPhoenix86
04-28-2012, 04:09 AM
the only advantage i see here. is for 3D or less screen tearing, when your over 60 fps.

my next monitor will definitely support 120Hz or higher. because i still find them too pricey at the moment.

ComradeLenin
04-28-2012, 11:50 AM
yep, sweaping statement etc feel free to present proof on how popular it is to warrant extra dev time

Because it takes development time to uncap a framerate :rolleyes:

LoboFHmod
04-28-2012, 02:38 PM
the only advantage i see here. is for 3D or less screen tearing, when your over 60 fps.

...and the health of your eyes.

Early this year I purchased a new 60 Hz monitor (to jubilate my fantastic CRT monitor)...I returned it and bought a 120 Hz one, my eyes were burning in their own sauce.

Amy
04-28-2012, 03:09 PM
I currently using 2x120hz screens.

I'm happy my eyes are bleeding but well, a good 60hz is perfectly fine anyway for common users. 3D is too fancy for gaming to me even if i use it.

I would be amazed when holographic gaming will be commercialized.

scubs
04-28-2012, 05:13 PM

you have no idea what you're talking about..

and if you want proof how popular and affordable 120Hz monitors are, just search google. :rolleyes:

s1234567890m
04-28-2012, 05:16 PM
you have no idea what you're talking about..

and if you want proof how popular and affordable 120Hz monitors are, just search google. :rolleyes:

insult+not backing up your statementc nice one