PDA

View Full Version : Non-Steam Hard Copy of Ys:TOIF?

Kouin
04-05-2012, 08:01 PM
I would love to have a non-steam physical copy of Ys:TOiF for my collection if possible. I am not a type of gamer who likes to complete with achievements nor leaderboard. All those extra seems like waste of time to me. You gain nothing from them =). Yeah, I completely ignored all of them and I even edited ysf_win file to unlock Inferno Mode. I really don't like to play the same game over and over again. Sorry, this is not a complaint; it just that all those achievement unlocking pop-ups bothers me during in-game.. It's my first time I've ever bought a game from steam and used its service after all. Is there any ways to disable those pop-ups in-game?

Wyrdwad
04-06-2012, 01:30 AM
Yep. If you set Steam to "offline mode," those popups should be totally disabled. Just click on the Steam menu on the top-left and choose "Go offline." (Not 100% certain that disables achievement popups as well, but I *think* it does...)

Sadly, I don't believe we'll be releasing any physical copies, as the American boxed PC game market is all but dead at this point. I'm a collector myself, so it is a bit unfortunate in some ways... but Steam is a fantastic service, and I think the benefits of using it far outweigh its drawbacks.

-Tom

junglepredator
04-06-2012, 02:32 AM
A shame you won't be releasing a retail outlet version. I was very pleased to see Trine made it that far even though I had bought it only days after it's release.
Honestly the retail outlet is only dead because game companies aren't supporting it & the few game centric retail outlets around offer terrible customer service.
I haven't bought a thing from the local Gamestop subsidiary (called EB Games) since the day I said "hold the copy of the game I've pre-ordered & pre-paid for till tomorrow... I'm out of town that day" & they said "tough". When they made me wait for a different game because they over sold... I also got a "tough". Since this time I've bought 1 strategy guide from them in six years time & only because I couldn't buy it anywhere else that is local.
Sadly EA & Activision have the same attitude. I've slowed my purchasing of Activision items & stopped EA purchasing... for them I'm "finishing off" (read... will spend money on) only Kingdoms of Amalur, Mass Effect 3 & Battlefield 3. I won't even buy this new Warp because it has their name attached to it despite being interested. (I am however trying to trade extra games from "indie bundles" for it on GOG forums.)
All that said Tom; I've bought this release of Ys: Oath in Felghana even though I have no intention of even installing it as a gesture of good faith that your company won't become that way to customers. I already own a boxed edition of the game straight from Falcom using the skus & e-mail addresses posted on the Ancient Lands years ago & still play it from time to time. (I also have Ark of Napishtim for the PS2 but I see that's from Konami not Xseed.)
Good job.

Nisseman
04-06-2012, 07:39 AM
Games like Ys would be pretty pointless to release as retail because buying PC games retail is pretty much dead nowdays.
Only games that would sell retail are big titles like Battlefield 3 and Mw3.

Kyithios
04-06-2012, 01:16 PM
While you can't get a hard copy of this game in English, you can import a Japanese box copy. But, its pretty pointless unless you're a collector.

xdevnullx
04-07-2012, 09:28 PM
I would love to have a non-steam physical copy of Ys:TOiF for my collection if possible.

You could just make your own boxed copy, with a backed up version of your Steam game. It takes a little bit of work, but if you really want a boxed copy it can be worth it. I believe you can just right-click the game and choose "backup game files". Throw a copy of the steam program on the disc as well, as it's needed to play the game. Print yourself a nice label up for the disc, and some art to insert in a standard DVD case with a clear cover, and you're good to go! ^_^

I haven't bought a thing from the local Gamestop subsidiary (called EB Games)

That EB Games used to be called "Electronics Boutique".. There was also a "Babbages", "Egghead" and "Software ETC" amongst a handful of others that were pretty widespread.

Gamestop came and bought up what they could and instead of a thriving, competitive variety of choices, we've been left with the lamest duck of them all, who with their bad practices and even worse customer service, have all but killed many people's ambition to go to a software/games store anymore.

Kytseo
04-08-2012, 07:16 AM
I would love to have a non-steam physical copy of Ys:TOiF for my collection if possible. I am not a type of gamer who likes to complete with achievements nor leaderboard. All those extra seems like waste of time to me. You gain nothing from them =). Yeah, I completely ignored all of them and I even edited ysf_win file to unlock Inferno Mode. I really don't like to play the same game over and over again. Sorry, this is not a complaint; it just that all those achievement unlocking pop-ups bothers me during in-game.. It's my first time I've ever bought a game from steam and used its service after all. Is there any ways to disable those pop-ups in-game?

There's no physical copy in the US for the PC version, but the PSP version (if you can find it for a good price) can be a good alternative.

Wyrdwad
04-08-2012, 12:56 PM
If you're a U.S. resident, you can actually buy the PSP version from our own online shop at xseedgames.com. No worries about not being able to find it. ;)

-Tom

TG_Judgement
04-08-2012, 03:25 PM
Yep. If you set Steam to "offline mode," those popups should be totally disabled. Just click on the Steam menu on the top-left and choose "Go offline." (Not 100% certain that disables achievement popups as well, but I *think* it does...)

It's quite a bit late for this,but since I'm here,might as well clear this up...

Offline mode does NOT disable the overlay at all.If the achievement scheme for the game is recent enough,you'll get achievement pop-ups too.
Proper way to disable the overlay in any mode is to go to your games list window,right click the game you want to disable the overlay (in this case,YS),select properties,and on the general tab,un-check the "Enable steam community In-Game" box.
Alternatively,if you want to disable for all games,click Steam,settings,In-Game tab and uncheck the "Enable steam community In-Game" box.

Hopefully that clears things up...

Wyrdwad
04-08-2012, 03:57 PM
Ah, good call. Thanks very much for the correction!

-Tom

Rhylos
04-09-2012, 12:29 AM
Are little achievement popups really that big of a problem? You act like it's a deal breaker.