PDA

View Full Version : Offline disks

THE Nakedgun
04-08-2012, 04:53 PM
Is turning a hard disk to "offline" as good as disconnecting it, willthe syste be able to access it?

I ask because every so ofen my computer slows down for about anything up to 2 minutes and I suspects its a hard drive and want to remove 1 disk at a tiem for a day or so and seting to offline is obviously the easiest and quickets way.

TeKraken
04-08-2012, 04:56 PM
it will still show up in disk manager, it will just be 'offline'.

IMO
I would remove either the power or the sata just to be sure.

majhimujhuko
04-08-2012, 08:26 PM
it will still show up in disk manager, it will just be 'offline'.

IMO
I would remove either the power or the sata just to be sure.

+1

And if it still shows up in disk manager, it means it's still getting power. Just crack open the case and unplug the cable. If you want to do some diagnostics, I can recommend HD Tune Pro. Hell, even SpeedFan has a built in SMART test.

sfade
04-08-2012, 10:08 PM
For troubleshoot, the most reliable and recommended way is as others have said, to disconnect the data cable completely, so you can be sure the drive is not influencing your system in any possible way.

Bad_Motha
04-08-2012, 11:20 PM
Manually taking a drive "offline" is a safe bet if u plan to hot-swap/disconnect it. Long as your system allows for AHCI hot-swapping.

But u can still select "offline" then disconnect the drive, even without AHCI hot-swapping. But without this u just can't reconnect the drive while system power is on. To get the drive back u'd have to shutdown/power off system, reconnect drive, then boot.