PDA

View Full Version : Terrible game, Don't buy it(PC)

scottixboy
04-09-2012, 04:19 AM
This game is basically a crappy version of Burnout to start, and the horrid PC port with no graphical options, stuttering game-play and clunky controls does it no favour. also not to mention after 10-15 races I struggled to get above 5th and I'm pretty good at racing games. If you want a good PC game like this, buy Burnout Paradise and don't bother with this crap.

I won't even bother getting this on console as it just feels like Burnout 3, it feels old.

Try again Bugbear, this game is completely un-original.

v1806v
04-09-2012, 05:19 AM
you right olmoust...but ///

BS24
04-09-2012, 05:22 AM
also not to mention after 10-15 races I struggled to get above 5th

the only race i haven't three starred so far is the very last one. You are bad, the AI in the game are quite easy to beat.

SzF
04-09-2012, 06:28 AM
From the trailer I really liked the visuals and the mindless action but..

Is this game like Split/Second? Because that seemed exciting at first, (like RRU) but the rest sucked like hell and it was boring. I regret buying it.

Blur (http://store.steampowered.com/app/42640/) was and IS much better for multiplayer racing.

A thing I didn't like in the trailer: "Dominate the territory of others." Wow, so exciting.

Custom built cities? I hate this kind of stuff. Just check TDU2, people on the 10 year old level create crappy, useless challenges to beat, that totally suck. I wouldn't want to browse between hundreds of useless cities to race.

RoyalMonaco76
04-09-2012, 07:35 AM
you right olmoust...but ///

Please come back when you can speak English, thanks.

Guanche
04-09-2012, 06:08 PM
No.

This is a great game.

Later.

RoyalMonaco76
04-09-2012, 06:17 PM
No.

This is a great game.

Later.

Also, this.

Amy
04-09-2012, 08:14 PM
For me i wanna buy it just because of the E3, i don't really care if it's good or not.

Teclo
04-09-2012, 08:48 PM
Graphical options are not a gameplay feature. You sucking at the game is not a gameplay feature. It sounds more like you just lost a lot of races in a row and decided to vent your anger.

Ceiling_Cat
04-10-2012, 07:10 AM
dont be discouraged by this thread. this game is amazing imo. it runs smooth at a constant 60fps, if your rig can handle it. controls are not clunky, game will work with a logitech pad and the controls CAN be customised if you know how (google is your friend). the drifting is very smooth and the destruction very satisfying.. not to mention UNLIMITED tracks.

"also not to mention after 10-15 races I struggled to get above 5th and I'm pretty good at racing games."

^ LOL

the AI is extremely easy, even on HARD. that is my only disappointment with the game >.<

good work bugbear, best racer i have played in a while (and i own a ton of racing games)

v1806v
04-10-2012, 10:12 AM
This is a great game-but it needs a patch (or many many patches). necessary to solve the problem in multiplayer. and there will be a lot of players - will be interesting! and I think many will agree with me.

Kwakkieftd
04-11-2012, 08:51 AM
Ok, we will miss you.

Goodbye :(

and the horrid PC port with no graphical options
A lot of people will agree with you on this, for me the graphics are fine as they are and need no further options because of that.

stuttering game-play
More a DX driver issue than a game issue, seems like Ati had got it and Nvidia is still working on it. So not exactly a problem of the game. The drivers are just optimised for bf3 and skyrim so for this game they also have to make some adjustments in their drivers.

clunky controls does it no favour
Works great out of the box with the xbox 360 controller.

also not to mention after 10-15 races I struggled to get above 5th and I'm pretty good at racing games
I guess your massively overestimate yourself here :cool:

@v1806v

Totally agree with you.

TornadoX
04-11-2012, 09:35 AM
clunky controls does it no favour. also not to mention after 10-15 races I struggled to get above 5th and I'm pretty good at racing games.

I'm playing with my keyboard now, because my gamepad doesn't work with this game. I have to say that works a lot better than expected.

And for me it feels like the races get EASIER. I had more problems with the 1st few races (street class) then the later races with faster cars. (A little tip: You don't have to take the fastest car. Just take a car you can control well.)

SapientWolf
04-11-2012, 01:57 PM
This game is basically a crappy version of Burnout to start, and the horrid PC port with no graphical options, stuttering game-play and clunky controls does it no favour. also not to mention after 10-15 races I struggled to get above 5th and I'm pretty good at racing games. If you want a good PC game like this, buy Burnout Paradise and don't bother with this crap.

I won't even bother getting this on console as it just feels like Burnout 3, it feels old.

Try again Bugbear, this game is completely un-original.
I never liked Burnout Paradise and I thought that Burnout 3 was the peak of the series. So that statement is actually an endorsement and high praise, in my opinion.

oliathsg
04-11-2012, 06:02 PM
Blur (http://store.steampowered.com/app/42640/) was and IS much better for multiplayer racing.

Blur is what made me buy this game. I thought it would be similar.

I see what it is trying to do but there are countless racers out there that do what this game tries to do far better and to make it worse it doesn't even do any of the good things that ridge racer should do - the drifting is terrible.

Bud042
04-11-2012, 06:07 PM
This game is great when you're not trying to drift, cuz the drifting is absolutely terrible. Like, who thought that this was a good idea?

oliathsg
04-11-2012, 07:06 PM
This game is great when you're not trying to drift, cuz the drifting is absolutely terrible. Like, who thought that this was a good idea?

Actually you are quite right.
I just watched some gameplay videos to try to learn how to have fun with this game (not a good sign in its self for any game if you need to research how to enjoy it)

I noticed that they were hardly using the drift. Just played some more and treated it like a non ridge racer game and got three stars on all the first city maps! So there you have it.

Game is fun if you ignore the one mechanic that RR games were all about.

Alebelly
04-11-2012, 08:43 PM
It's a brilliant game. I guess there are those that figured it out and those that never will. Unfortunate.

Console gamers got nothing on how spoiled and self-entitled PC gamers are. No wonder developers don't invest in the PC, console is responsible for 90% of the revenue, PC gamer cries when game doesn't get released, PC gamer cries when game does get released.

Kwakkieftd
04-12-2012, 01:04 AM
Too bad some people don't understand how the drifting works in this game with the drift button and base their opinion this.
But ok, because of that they are missing out on a great game... not me :)

Bud042
04-12-2012, 01:51 AM
Please, explain how the drifting works then, cuz I found it to be quite stupid.

Kwakkieftd
04-12-2012, 02:38 AM
This explains it nicely :)

http://www.gamerzines.com/guides/how-to-guides/ridge-racer-unbounded-how-to-drift-tips.html

The main thing to remember is that it isn't a handbrake and it doesn't work the same. It's a drift button, and choose the car you can handle the best and not necessary the fastest and try to chain your boosts like Sysgen explains here:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2628322

SUICIDAL
04-12-2012, 07:44 AM
Dude, nobody is going to read a drifting guide, and even if they do - it isn't going to help them. You can only get better at drifting by practicing. Some guys get good at it fast, and others take a long time to get better at.

I wouldn't suggest buying this game unless the price comes way down, it's just not worth it. I enjoyed the single player races and I completed all 50 tracks, but as far as online gameplay goes - it just sucks.

I was a huge fan of Flatout 2. I played it for a long time. I learned ever inch of every track. I raced online against other players that knew ever tack well too. Some tracks felt over played and lame, but then there were tracks like "Pine Groves 2" that were 100% awesome fun and never got boring. The problem with Ridge Racer Unbounded is... There are no stock tracks that are played enough to remember at all, and with all of the omg crappy user made tracks that are online, there is absolutely no ability to join a good race. I joined a race that had 3 players in it and when the race started we all drove about 100 meters and then suddenly 1 by 1 each player left the game and I was all alone, because the idiot that made the track put too many exploding barrels and other ridiculous crap everywhere and you couldn't even see where the hell you were going through all the explosions. So yeah, 98% of the tracks online are totally friggin lame. My friend said to me, "This game is totally f*cking gay" and I told him that it's not so much the game as it is the players that make the tracks. Then he told me that they were gay too. lol.

The idea I had was to get a few friends together and design a few Flatout2 style tracks and then race privately for a couple of hours and have fun. As it is right now I can't even seem to join a multiplayer race with actual players. This game is loaded with bugs and the developers that are trying to fix the game keep shutting the main server down, but even when the server is back up - I still cannot seem to join a multiplayer game anymore. I tried fixing my legitimate game with a cracked patch and actually ran into less problems, lol. For one thing the cracked version gives me a much higher frames per second. I bought a legitimate steam version of the game for $20, but I did not buy it through the steam store. Considering the how many problems I am having with the game, it should cost $5 at most. Actually, they should be paying me money to beta test their game since it is obviously buggy as hell and should not have been released yet. What ever you do, do not pay $49.99 for the game at the steam store.

Bud042
04-12-2012, 12:50 PM
This explains it nicely :)

http://www.gamerzines.com/guides/how-to-guides/ridge-racer-unbounded-how-to-drift-tips.html

The main thing to remember is that it isn't a handbrake and it doesn't work the same. It's a drift button

Of course it's a drift button, that is what it's called. I do what that guide tells you to do and it's still horrible. The drifting is bad, even once you get good at it.

bumii
04-12-2012, 02:43 PM
drifting is very nice. u need more than the "drift button"

steer into direction und press brake & handbrake (yes, 2 brakes)

et voila. you can drift right now. have fun.

Sysgen
04-12-2012, 04:09 PM
Of course it's a drift button, that is what it's called. I do what that guide tells you to do and it's still horrible. The drifting is bad, even once you get good at it.

WAT. Best drifting game since PGR.

Dude, nobody is going to read a drifting guide, and even if they do - it isn't going to help them.

Nodody? Like all the people in the world? When I was a neophyte (heh Clyde) in racing games I benefited immensely by reading various guides.

Bud042
04-12-2012, 04:38 PM
drifting is very nice. u need more than the "drift button"

steer into direction und press brake & handbrake (yes, 2 brakes)

et voila. you can drift right now. have fun.

The only brake I have is called reverse/brake and that just made drifting (somehow) worse.

WAT. Best drifting game since PGR.

Nope. I highly doubt that real cars slide as much as cars do in this game.

Sysgen
04-12-2012, 05:00 PM
The only brake I have is called reverse/brake and that just made drifting (somehow) worse.

Nope. I highly doubt that real cars slide as much as cars do in this game.

On the cars with higher drift ratings you can tap the drift button like a hand brake. If you do it right you can get these cars drifting without touching any brake. The drifting model is fine but it's difficult. You have to setup the corner and setup the proper speed. On cars with lower drift ratings you need to use the button called ......... DRIFT.

Who said anything about real cars? The cars behave differently so stop generalizing.

RoyalMonaco76
04-12-2012, 06:22 PM
Stupid OP. Don't listen to him(Steam Forums)

Bud042
04-12-2012, 06:44 PM
All the cars that I've used have drifted poorly, but I will try tapping the drift next time.

bumii
04-12-2012, 07:03 PM
Please, explain how the drifting works then, cuz I found it to be quite stupid.

join the corner and than press the reverse/brake and handbrake button together.
the longer u press the stronger will drift ;D
(sry for my bad english)

apxfvz
04-14-2012, 05:00 AM
I never read any manual how to drift in the game and donīt see why some ppl donīt know how it works. They must be idiots. The fact that Bugbear needed to explain that to game reporter tells something about how ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ppl write reviews, who canīt even figure out how 1 button works in a game.

oliathsg
04-14-2012, 05:32 AM
I never read any manual how to drift in the game and donīt see why some ppl donīt know how it works. They must be idiots. The fact that Bugbear needed to explain that to game reporter tells something about how ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ppl write reviews, who canīt even figure out how 1 button works in a game.

Yeah!
You tell em.
What you should do is get really angry about it and then post on the internet.

Oh wait you already did that.

apxfvz
04-14-2012, 05:58 AM
Yeah!
You tell em.
What you should do is get really angry about it and then post on the internet.

Oh wait you already did that.

I was just saying that you need to learn to press that one button. No reason to get mad from what i said.

Oh wait you already did that. :)

wiredprotocol
04-14-2012, 10:26 AM
I love the game, you have to remember it's arcadey, not simmy. I love the drift button, it makes everything fun. I also like the style of the whole game.

What I don't like is the bugs. Particularly slow/fast/slow/fast weird lag I get. When that's not happening though it's the most fun I have had in a racing game since burnout 3.

Bud042
04-14-2012, 12:45 PM
I'm pretty sure most people know how to press one button. Problem is, pressing that button sends your car sliding a ridiculous amount.

apxfvz
04-18-2012, 09:11 AM
Yes itīs not like in other Ridge Racers. Or like in Project CARS. Itīs very arcadey like in Mario Kart or something.

RoyalMonaco76
04-18-2012, 12:11 PM
Mario Kart? Seriously?
This isn't some little kid game. :/

shivars
04-19-2012, 02:41 PM
back on topic...I like this game :)

never played an earlier RR, and on Burnout only Takedown on PSP and Paradise on PSN (first game I ever platinum'd). Usually I'm a sim-racer (of the iRacing, LFS, Project CARS ilk), and a real-life racer

I'm finding this pretty challenging/hard, but actually really good fun :)

Edit: my view = buy it, well try the demo or whatever first and make sure its your cup of tea, but then buy it :)

Bish0p
04-22-2012, 06:14 PM
Graphical options are not a gameplay feature. You sucking at the game is not a gameplay feature. It sounds more like you just lost a lot of races in a row and decided to vent your anger.

Yes they are..lol What world do you live in? I don't pay 2 grand every few years, for new hardware, so I can play an ugly ♥♥♥♥ game like this.. No excuse for dated graphics.. It's lazy and uninspired.. No buy.. poof. gone..

KazzyMac
04-22-2012, 06:55 PM
... Wait, what? This game is ugly?

Seriously?

Let me guess, if it's not Crysis, it's a Playstation game? Come on, this isn't Flatout 3: C&D. Considering the fact this game is running on DirectX 9 then I think it's graphically very well done. People complain about all the HDR, bloom and lens flaring but I think it gives the game graphics a unique look; something I haven't seen done since back when Blur came out.

Maybe if it was coded in DirectX 10 or 11 then I would understand; but you're ♥♥♥♥♥ing about a processing format that is 5 or more years old. Besides, since when did graphics make or break a game? Or are you no better than all those Call of Duty kids who argue that a game's crap because the camera doesn't get bloodstains on it when you get shot, and you can't see more than 3 kilometers away because of fog.

:l

Kwakkieftd
04-23-2012, 07:09 AM
... Wait, what? This game is ugly?

Seriously?

Let me guess, if it's not Crysis, it's a Playstation game? Come on, this isn't Flatout 3: C&D. Considering the fact this game is running on DirectX 9 then I think it's graphically very well done. People complain about all the HDR, bloom and lens flaring but I think it gives the game graphics a unique look; something I haven't seen done since back when Blur came out.

Maybe if it was coded in DirectX 10 or 11 then I would understand; but you're ♥♥♥♥♥ing about a processing format that is 5 or more years old. Besides, since when did graphics make or break a game? Or are you no better than all those Call of Duty kids who argue that a game's crap because the camera doesn't get bloodstains on it when you get shot, and you can't see more than 3 kilometers away because of fog.

:l

He's just trolling and clearly unaware of what he is trying to troll about. Just leave him be in his own little world.
You are probably just feeding him now ( and so am i now :) )

I just love this game and i'm personally very impressed with it and my high expectations came true and for as far as i can tell, so are you and many other people. That is what counts ;)

So it's better to leave him and his fellow trolls be happy in their own perfect world and let them blame it on the game if they are unable to play it.
They will have to wait for cheats to come out to enjoy games or until the hacked version is also patched.

Ranmaru
04-23-2012, 07:44 AM
Guise! Guise! Compare me this RR to Type 4 if you played both please, I don't want to start another thread.

fozmcfc
04-23-2012, 09:43 AM
I've throughly enjoyed it so far.

I have a feeling it may become very samey pretty quickly, but so far I'm really enjoying it, fast paced, all out arcade racer, which you don't get that often on a PC.

Better than Flatout 3 that's for sure.

Zat0ne
04-25-2012, 03:06 PM
My take: I thoroughly enjoyed the game. I suddenly found myself clocking a few hours straight right after installing the game... Comparing it to Burnout, Blur, or Split Second (Haven't played any Flatout games yet unfortunately) would obviously make it inadequate, since the mechanics aren't as emphasized in RRU than in those games, but it's still overall fun and a good way to pass the time until the next great racer comes along. I would admit through that the lack of players in MP (or if it's caused by a bug) is disappointing, and that it will affect it's replay and selling value in the long run if it's resolved or not.

Drifting? I'm fine with the drift mechanics. From what I understood, the drift button in RRU is an exaggerated handbrake, which actually tends to make you lose speed almost as fast as a high drift angle, but not as fast as a "traditional" handbrake, so holding it down in corners doesn't seem to work THAT well unless you want to reduce drift speed immediately. Managing the throttle seems to work better for me during drifts. Using the default XBOX360 configuration, you don't even need to release the throttle often during an entire race - just brake before corners while still holding the throttle then tap/hold the drift button to initiate the angle, then release and manage the throttle to maintain the drift.

Anyway, I thought that the point of drifting was to help you gain Power faster. You can definitely corner fast without it, but lose your chance to build up Power. I was thinking that most high drift cars cornered like crap coz they make up for it with faster Power gain and more chances to gain points hitting targets, and most low drift cars corner well and can win races through being 1st place, but are built like crap to avoid being overpowered... I've fragged a few low drift car racers in corners even when I don't use Power. The sheer speed of the drift can take racers out during collision. When a low drift car DOES earn Power though, you'll be eating dust.

This is just my experience though.. your mileage may vary. ;)

george_tbt3
04-25-2012, 06:08 PM
I've throughly enjoyed it so far.

I have a feeling it may become very samey pretty quickly, but so far I'm really enjoying it, fast paced, all out arcade racer, which you don't get that often on a PC.

Better than Flatout 3 that's for sure.

it isn't flatout though, it's ridge racer (bring back ridge racer 6! )