PDA

View Full Version : Age check at some games in steam store

dark lord
04-10-2012, 11:42 AM
I think we should have the possibility to :
a) or else set up our age on the profile
b) or they should disable this function totally as it doesnt work at all. Firstly they cant really see who would buy the game so even a little kid can lie that he is mature and before you tell me "oh, his or her parents wont buy him or her this game!, unfortunatly a lot of parents buy games that are not really suitable for their childs but its their problem. But it really annoys me that even as legally adult (Im 18) I have to confirm my age each freakin time that I want to check out a game rated M in the steam store. I know, I know maybe they are forced to do that because its the law and such but its so USELESS >_>

kraze1994
04-10-2012, 12:09 PM
I think that it is very obvious that the age gate does not stop people from accessing mature content but I also believe that there are some moral and legal reasons behind it as well.

If a 13 year old decides to access mature content but is asked to confirm he is 18 he is lying and breaking Steams TOS..etc

Therefor nothing can come back on Steam for said kid accessing mature content.

Personally I hate the age gate and it never stopped me when I was younger but I do believe that is should continue to stay, but maybe offer some more verification purposes. Such as if Steam can confirm a user is truly 18 or whatever specific age, it will allow you easy bypass of it.

dark lord
04-11-2012, 10:34 AM
I think that it is very obvious that the age gate does not stop people from accessing mature content but I also believe that there are some moral and legal reasons behind it as well.

If a 13 year old decides to access mature content but is asked to confirm he is 18 he is lying and breaking Steams TOS..etc

Therefor nothing can come back on Steam for said kid accessing mature content.

Personally I hate the age gate and it never stopped me when I was younger but I do believe that is should continue to stay, but maybe offer some more verification purposes. Such as if Steam can confirm a user is truly 18 or whatever specific age, it will allow you easy bypass of it.
Well yeah, lets say that okay, lets keep some verification system such this but please, IMPROVE IT!!! I would be really regardful if I could fix my age and not having to verificate it each time...

Mister Fox
04-11-2012, 12:36 PM
It's a legal thing. If it they can just lie on it, ok, then VALVe can't be liable there. They would however be liable if they didn't at least make you verify.

dark lord
04-12-2012, 10:10 AM
It's a legal thing. If it they can just lie on it, ok, then VALVe can't be liable there. They would however be liable if they didn't at least make you verify.
Totally agreed on this

TeKraken
04-12-2012, 10:50 AM
you only have to scroll wheel the year.

real4xor
04-12-2012, 11:21 AM
It's a legal thing. If it they can just lie on it, ok, then VALVe can't be liable there.

I guess for people that have steam it would be nice if it was somehow tied to account information. So you could just fill in your age once there.

But the age gate would still have to be in place for anyone not logged in.

:/ it`s a bit of a minor thing, and the age gate already remembers last input.
So it`ll just be exta work and little to no gain.

-
On the other hand it might be an 'elegant solution' to be able to fill in a DOB with verified accounts, AKA paying customers, so they can fill in their age on the account page or profile only once.
That way the agegate can be "skipped"; by using the DOB filled in there.
Since it ís a recurring minor annoyinace, with all the mature games out there, it would improve the customer`s store browsing experience.

:/ I would love to see parental controls added to that, so you can password it that DOB can`t be changed. But password recovery would give VALVE that slightest bit of responsibility that`s so much trouble, so that`s impossible.

But changing the place where the DOB is filled in doesn`t really matter.
And verifying the DOB that`s filled in is tied to thát account, still doesn`t give VALVE responsibility of what age is filled in there. The account owner/person viewing the page still is.
=p so that works legally too.

Waaper
04-12-2012, 12:50 PM
Make an age restriction for tf2 aswell.. seriously I'm sick and tired of these six year old children with microphones. seriously, I know that we have the mute button, but thingss should not be like that.

dark lord
04-13-2012, 09:08 AM
Make an age restriction for tf2 aswell.. seriously I'm sick and tired of these six year old children with microphones. seriously, I know that we have the mute button, but thingss should not be like that.

You are not the only one with that...

SiPlus.c
04-13-2012, 10:05 AM
A) Good suggestion.
B) Impossible due to laws.

GainesWorthy
04-13-2012, 12:48 PM
If they could enforce age restriction; I would love to see it happen.

dark lord
04-14-2012, 11:31 AM
If they could enforce age restriction; I would love to see it happen.
Me too