PDA

View Full Version : This game is great.

Burro Loco
04-10-2012, 02:23 PM
If you like books and movies like Red Storm Rising, Hunt for Red October or Red Tide, you will love this game.

Mwa ha ha, I just fired a Shkval torpedo :)

carr1on
04-10-2012, 02:37 PM
I used to be a huge Harpoon fan. Is this like a newer Harpoon?

laszlozoltan
04-10-2012, 02:48 PM
no, more like fleet command- I would say it is fleet command rewritten

DerFoxY
04-10-2012, 02:52 PM
so ... my question is "is it a good Jane's Fleet Commant" clone or just another paradox-low budget game? just wondering i never heared about this game till release on steam

CupOHemlock
04-10-2012, 03:52 PM
Ohhhhh I loved Fleet Command. Hmmmm my wallet is poking me. I would love to see a demo first, but very tempted based on the Fleet Command reference.

coasttoast
04-10-2012, 04:00 PM
Two games for 20.I think these games will take me till D3 comes out next month.Use to love Harpoon....Plays a lot like it.Buy it!

jimrad1
04-10-2012, 04:14 PM
no, more like fleet command- I would say it is fleet command rewritten

More like a fleet command lite, or harpoon lite. It has the potential to be either or better, minus an editor its pretty limited. Community made missions are typically always better, and spur tons of interest. Its good though, could of been great.

MarkcusD
04-10-2012, 05:49 PM
Used to play Harpoon back in the day. Might have to check this out.

Herodotus07
04-10-2012, 05:54 PM
More like a fleet command lite, or harpoon lite. It has the potential to be either or better, minus an editor its pretty limited. Community made missions are typically always better, and spur tons of interest. Its good though, could of been great.
I'd have to agree, having played through the tutorials, read the manual (available from the website) and had a skirmish or three. However while it is "Jane's Fleet Command"-Lite (not by much), it would be "Harpoon 3 ANW"-Very Lite for the inevitable comparisons or even "Aegis". For the price, this title is a must-have for any fan of naval strategy games and a great entry level title for those who don't need or want the depth of "H3". I've played the others extensively and will spend many hours trying to master what I suspect is quite a complex game under the hood.
Someone mentioned the novel "Red Storm Rising" that Tom Clancy and Larry Bond wrote together, based on "Harpoon" a boardgame created by Larry Bond. This is more in line with "Choosers Of The Slain" by James Cobb or "Typhoon" by Mark Joseph, the former set in the Antarctic, the latter in the Arctic. Not showing off - I've just been a fan of these games (and novels) since I read "Red Storm Rising" back in the '80's.
Genuinely was anticipating this title and so far it has not disappointed:D.

Soulsick82
04-11-2012, 01:42 AM
I'm finding it to be a Fleet Command 'remake', including all the curious bugs.
Moving from unit to unit incurs a noticable delay. So does switching from different time accelerations (it's probably calculated in blocks and hence is probably by design).

Units act.... strangely.
Helos launch from below the ship.
Planes change altitudes drastically without even pitching up or down.
I saw a torpedo fly to my helo before dropping into the ocean when it was launched.
Missile explosions and other interactions are very ... 'fleet commander'esque.. in that they happen without the units really meeting... even more so than FC tbh (http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198010691612/screenshot/541798319083203232/?).
Once you RTB a unit, giving it further orders only gives the order to one unit in the group, the other keeps RTB'ing. It also shows fuel as being BINGO even though the range can still be a few hundred miles across.
My submarine launched 10 harpoons at the same time (all flew inside each other to the target). The same for most units and missiles.
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198010691612/screenshot/541798319083199249

Not sure on the variety of units just yet. Inclusion of things like BAE Taranis is definitely interesting and I'm looking forward to other things.

That being said, it's not bad. I'm just pointing out the bad points / quirks.
I haven't had a crash.
The graphics are a definite improvement on FC (http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198010691612/screenshot/541798319083197339/?)
The gameplay is there as its basically FC.
It has multiplayer (not sure about co-op type gameplay).

It seems like it has potential.. just not sure about the price point.

Still.. I got a lot of play from FC (still do), so I don't regret buying it.
If you liked FC, I'd say you will probably like this. And it's not like it costs the Earth. $19 is pretty cheap for a day 1 release. And free Commander: Conquest of the Americas... can't complain.

neurosis
04-12-2012, 03:13 PM
so ... my question is "is it a good Jane's Fleet Commant" clone or just another paradox-low budget game? just wondering i never heared about this game till release on steam

HAhaha.. I had the same reaction when I saw 'Paradox' i was like oh that explains the graphics.

[further statements removed.. I'm dumb and read info wrong]

Dr.Jones
04-12-2012, 03:16 PM
HAhaha.. I had the same reaction when I saw 'Paradox' i was like oh that explains the graphics. But theres more... apparently its not dev'ed by Paradox but some german game developer.

Now, I dont care where my games come from, who makes them or anything in terms of nationality. That said... I think everyone knows where I am going with this, recent trends of german (mostly simulation titles) are for lack of a better word absolute rubbish. I dont know why, I dont care why, I like germans and germany just fine and I'm not a bigot. Its just a fact that most of the germany games I get in the usa are pretty god awful. I'm certain this is not an adequate representation of german software talent, maybe its just their indie companies are cheap, dunno. My whole point was, plainish graphics, paradox, german dev... for me those are yellow flags, maybe not red flags, but it makes me o.O

I think that the developers are from Norway.

br.
Dr.Jones

nstutt
04-16-2012, 04:36 AM
The game is very good its just the 3d elements that need a lot of work but they aren't too distracting once you get into the game itself. Devs are dedicated to making this game better and some pre release screens show elements like the Encyclopaedia and Content sections that were stripped out at the last minute because they werent ready for the launch. its unfinished but its very playable and its been completely bug free for me - demo played for a few days without any issues.

B1oodshot
04-16-2012, 04:51 PM
25 years ago today, I would be sitting patiently by my Commodore 64, staring at the pretty rainbow lights (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEjFGmsty4U&feature=player_detailpage) (...dribble), not daring to move in case I disturbed the tape deck in some way and it failed to load. (Again!...Grrrr!)

As I recall, the C64 tape version of Sid Meier's Red Storm Rising (http://www.c64sets.com/set.html?id=9) (Microprose 1987) took about 45 minutes to load and came on six cassettes. Six, God damn it, six! Number of the Beast.
I think that game was the sole reason I invested in a 5.25 disk drive back then!
In comparison, the Amiga version a couple of years later was a bloody luxury!

jimrad1
04-16-2012, 06:46 PM
25 years ago today, I would be sitting patiently by my Commodore 64, staring at the pretty rainbow lights (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEjFGmsty4U&feature=player_detailpage) (...dribble), not daring to move in case I disturbed the tape deck in some way and it failed to load. (Again!...Grrrr!)

As I recall, the C64 tape version of Sid Meier's Red Storm Rising (http://www.c64sets.com/set.html?id=9) (Microprose 1987) took about 45 minutes to load and came on six cassettes. Six, God damn it, six! Number of the Beast.
I think that game was the sole reason I invested in a 5.25 disk drive back then!

Yep, I remember that to, great days, great days. Gaming was really interesting during this period. Lots of innovation, lots of imagination. Pales in comparison to some of todays cookie cutter titles. Way too much wash rinse and repeat now days. Funny how they always go back to the classics again.

Echo76
04-18-2012, 09:14 PM
Soo, being a HC naval war fan, Sonalysts, Microprose etc would you think I'd enjoy this? I got an impression this is rather simplified game?

P.S. Red Storm Rising came with 3 cassettes ;)

Cougarific
04-19-2012, 07:42 PM
Echo76 there's a Demo available - was a quick download and install for me.

I was a big Harpoon/Red Storm Rising/688 Attack Sub player back in the day and this seems right there along those lines.

The biggest things missing IMHO are an equipment database and a save feature, otherwise it's pretty Harpoony.

nstutt
04-20-2012, 05:41 AM
Soo, being a HC naval war fan, Sonalysts, Microprose etc would you think I'd enjoy this? I got an impression this is rather simplified game?

Definitely get it. I loved the old Microprose games and this is in the same vein - great gameplay. Its a bit rough around the edges but I love it and am having a blast. Have had more fun playing this game than Empire Total War, Civ 5, EU3 and Victoria 2 combined.

Penthouse32
04-20-2012, 10:01 AM

Yeah, I also remember Strike Fleet on C64:cool:

B1oodshot
04-23-2012, 04:59 AM

Ahhhh....I see what I did there. It was 3 cassettes with 2 sides each!
Eject, insert, rewind, play. Eject, flip, insert, rewind, pray...

I didn't feel like going up in the loft to find the originals, so I just went by the image in the link (http://www.c64sets.com/set.html?id=9).