PDA

View Full Version : Local Content Server

Scarleth
04-11-2012, 05:38 AM
This is somewhat of a niche suggestion, but it is one I think a growing number of people could use.

Let me manage my own content server that clients within my household can download from, instead of Valve's server directly.

In my home there are 3 different Steam users with 3 different computers and about 50 games that we all 3 own, and all 3 update, separately.

This puts a strain on our internet connection (and consumes our monthly bandwidth). So, I suggest letting users host their own local Steam Content Servers.

A special version of the Steam client that listens to our normal clients for content requests (mockup) (http://imgur.com/UPECY), downloads that content from Valve's servers and then serves that content to our clients.

This system could also help LAN hosts or ISPs service their costumers.

s333ftricky
04-11-2012, 07:37 AM
This system could also help LAN hosts or ISPs service their costumers.

ISP's can already run content servers if they get in touch in valve, I'm still waiting for a reply from them to setup content server for our lan event at end of month..

Scarleth
04-11-2012, 09:17 AM
ISP's can already run content servers if they get in touch in valve, I'm still waiting for a reply from them to setup content server for our lan event at end of month..

I am aware of that. This however could be a simplified solution that works for more people and wouldn't require everyone to contact Valve directly.

s333ftricky
04-11-2012, 09:49 AM
Kinda pointless with new content system coming along, which you can easily enough cache locally using a transparent proxy or by other means.