PDA

View Full Version : Awesome game! But...

Aiyel
04-11-2012, 10:01 AM
There's a few features necessary for a harpoon / janes fleet command clone that it doesn't seem to have, or features that seem poorly implemented. I'll add to the list as I can put them into words.

1.) A reference section!

A ship/weapon/aircraft encyclopedia, so I can tell for sure if that sensor I'm turning on is active or a deployable passive of some kind. Useful weapon stats, a model viewer... and make it accessible from ingame. This is THE MOST important feature this game needs.

2.) Better integration between the 3d view and what's actually going on.

Go play a round of Fleet Command. The aircraft and weapons involved are actually behaving like aircraft and weapons. They score hits when the missile/cannon shell/what have you actually makes physical contact or proximity kill range of its target. not 'the video freezes while the weapon is stil more than a kilometer out.'

Likewise, visual feedback of defensive fire, clouds of tracers from the CIWS, and the ship's own decoy dispensers going wild in an attempt to confuse and destroy the missile.

As it is, the 3D visuals are not only uninteresting, except to look at the nice work you've done on your models, they're completely useless as feedback of any kind.

That being said, good job on the game, it's awesome!

Thraka
04-12-2012, 10:40 AM
But is there a reason to play this over harpoon?

neurosis
04-12-2012, 04:01 PM
That was a concern of mine as well. the very plain models. That level of detail (prototype to low) usually means there are phone-it-ins on other aspects as well. HOWEVER, your other remarks make me think it might be worth a try.We all know Gameplay trumps graphics, but only to a certain degree. I'm looking forward to watching this title to see how it develops. I would expect that if it gathered a decent following with good gameplay, maybe they will fill in their gaps in other depts. If so I might even become a fan because honestly this genre is wide open and would great if fully realized. I was in the Navy for 5 years USS Camden then USS Milius and I'm a gamer so this sort of title has crossed my mind many times and its exciting to see someone put something out there.

jimrad1
04-12-2012, 04:18 PM
Other than for appearance sakes, the 3D view is pretty useless. Time should of been better spent on providing a mission editor or skirmish mode. Or actually the area that needs the most attention, a in game encyclopedia on systems and their uses. For newbs to this genre this is a tough lite simulation to get into. For me it was fairly easy but I can see people new to this genre easily frustrated. Seems to be their target audience.

malkuth
04-12-2012, 11:19 PM
Think the 3d stuff is just for a little show. The game is like harpoon where most the action takes place on the Map screen.

Take a while before I think this game is polished to harpoon standards. Then again even harpoon today is not really up to standards without the Mods.

nstutt
04-16-2012, 05:32 AM
Think the 3d stuff is just for a little show. The game is like harpoon where most the action takes place on the Map screen.

Take a while before I think this game is polished to harpoon standards. Then again even harpoon today is not really up to standards without the Mods.

I for one only play games I can get involved with and as such I must see the 3d elements. So for me at least the 3d is essential. I have no interest is staring at only a radar screen for hours. However all the work is done on the map screen and the 3d is just there for extra immersion. The devs have a lot of work to do to get the 3d section up to scratch but they have set themselves a high level and that is good. I am sure this game will get better and better.