PDA

View Full Version : Widescreen resolutions

e102
04-11-2012, 01:53 PM
Some of us from this thread (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=30248904&posted=1#post30248904) have already contacted the developers in one way or another regarding the lack of resolution and aspect ratio options, but I think a thread would bring some more attention to the issue as well as to keep track of the development of resolving it.

Can we get some word from the developers if/when these things will be implemented? This may appear to be a small issue but it's a big obstacle in the way preventing many of us from fully enjoying the otherwise great game. :)

Da_hair
04-11-2012, 06:28 PM
not just widescreen is missing

1024x768 is pretty low for 4:3
my monitors native resolution is 1600x1200(not an old CRT monitor)

it's pretty much missing any high resolution
which i find strange seeing i hear ps3 renders everything at 1080p

screenshots of the game and videos are in widescreen, and yet somehow we are locked in low res 4:3 and the one 5:4 resolution as the highest possible?

i hope this is rushed release and a patch is coming...

edit: oh, and why does the game always start in window mode?
i find window mode kind of breaks the immersion...

PurSpyk!!
04-12-2012, 09:57 AM
No wonder there is no demo, almost bought this, happy I decided to wait. Looks promising though.

jamest1080
04-12-2012, 11:20 AM
This is why I wish the game forum was up before I bought this piece of crap. There goes $8 until they decide to take this game out of 1999. IF they decide to actually patch it.

So annoying, especially when I was debating this or another game and I chose this.

maxcube
04-12-2012, 12:23 PM
Good (unspecific) news everyone:
got a reply from @Czoolz (https://twitter.com/#!/Czoolz/status/190500427605868545) (Frozen Codebase Level Designer) [...] Alright so i got some information for you. We are currently planning on a patch. Nothing specific yet however.

e102
04-12-2012, 01:04 PM
nice to see you got a response, lets just hope the patch(es) will address the issues :)

jamest1080
04-12-2012, 01:58 PM
Some news is better than none I guess. Still holding off on playing this at all until they fix it.

Playing in a tiny window (my native is 1920x1200) with no vsync and bad tearing = hell no.

Funktion
04-12-2012, 04:42 PM
Here's hoping they add widescreen resolutions (and maybe anti-aliasing options) in the patch.

The game seemed visually interesting, judging from gameplay videos of the PS3/Xbox 360 version, but playing on a 16:10 monitor at 1280x1024 stretched, and with no anti-aliasing definitely doesn't do the art design any favors.

I guess I will wait for a patch... :(

lgm1979
04-12-2012, 07:40 PM
Bought this game earlier today, played the first couple levels and it's pretty good actually. Having to play 4:3 windowed is pretty unusual these days though, so I think I'm in the camp of waiting for a patch before getting into it. I tried playing fullscreen but it just stretches the image like crazy and it looks awful.

Also I tried forcing AA/AF through CCC and no go. Didn't try MLAA, that should help the jaggies a bit I guess.

provitiligo
04-13-2012, 03:33 AM
Damnit, I want my money back for such a rip-off. 1280x1024 as a max resolution? Are you kidding me?

lysiu
04-13-2012, 06:46 AM
I want at least 1920x1080 too! I am not going to play it until they fix this.

PurSpyk!!
04-13-2012, 09:13 AM
Well this will be an instant buy if they add widescreen resolutions and anti alasing. Nothing worse than looking a jaggered edges while playing :)

Meowthemouse
04-13-2012, 09:29 AM
although the resolution problem is very annoying I still think that the game is worth it.

PurSpyk!!
04-13-2012, 12:01 PM
although the resolution problem is very annoying I still think that the game is worth it.

Will still see if it gets patched first.

tunguska47
04-13-2012, 09:37 PM
coming out of a lvl (going back to main menu)puts it back on windowed mode

besides that and screen size that we need the game is fun

lysiu
04-13-2012, 09:48 PM
Yeah make them patch it, i would not bought it if i knew theres no 16:9 but i got scamed my bad (video and screenshots on shop page are in 16:9). So dont buy it maybe devs will look how the sales are going and they will not be satisfied so than they will look at forums why - they will see the thread and fix it. Otherwise if they see sales are going well they will think everything is ok and wont even bother looking at community.

Urikain
04-14-2012, 03:09 AM
I have a 24" monitor in 1920x1200 resolution, and the max resolution of the game its 1280x1024 !!! Are you serious ??? This is unforgivable !!

Wake Up devs !!!

Rogue_Hellsin
04-14-2012, 01:41 PM
This thing is surprising and i tried to understand. But, i don't think it was because the game is mainly for the live arcade or devs make a funny mistake -everybody knows a developer don't make mistakes (Dead Island's owner here :p). So maybe they developed it on 1280x1024 screens. This is the only reason i can see.

Da_hair
04-14-2012, 03:52 PM
that sounds surprisingly plausible

most of the time when good games are released with frankly, stupid, flaws like this, it's because the game developer did not have a variety in the hardware in-house, and it was only tested on the stuff they had at the time of development

v00d00man
04-14-2012, 04:07 PM
Game dont respect saved options, every time it loaded, it resets all settings to defauls 1024x768 Windowed, thats quite annoying.

Also predefined list of resolution is no go, very 199X... im worst meaning of it. Resolutions should be enlisted via api and give out all resolutions available by current video driver settings.

Atm i came with idea of temporal fix - memory hack, a trainer that would force in game res by altering and freezing memory values and forcing video mode restart.

e102
04-14-2012, 10:13 PM
This thing is surprising and i tried to understand. But, i don't think it was because the game is mainly for the live arcade or devs make a funny mistake -everybody knows a developer don't make mistakes (Dead Island's owner here :p). So maybe they developed it on 1280x1024 screens. This is the only reason i can see.

since the console versions clearly support HD resolutions I can't see that happening

Traci
04-14-2012, 10:43 PM
Screen size doesn't effect my decision nor enjoyment on a game.

PurSpyk!!
04-15-2012, 10:24 AM

Good to know, lets get all games released at 640x480.

jamest1080
04-17-2012, 02:24 PM
You could be devil's advocate and use that line. But it doesn't get around the fact that they are using 16:9/widscreen screenshots/video to advertise the Steam game.

It effects my enjoyment of a purchase, when I feel like I was lied to and wasn't getting the product I thought I was buying. I thought I was buying a game in 2012, not 1999.

rene2512
04-18-2012, 09:28 AM
Indeed! It is completely ridiculous to release a game in this state. If I knew that it was only supporting these low resolutions I wouldn't have bought it. Let's hope for a patch very soon, because apparenlty, by looking at the advertising, the game is capable of normal (widescreen) resolutions.

PurSpyk!!
04-19-2012, 10:27 AM
And not a developer in sight on these forums, rather go buy somerthing else.

dukmiester2
04-19-2012, 07:12 PM

Seconded :mad:

I was very hopeful of this being at least looked at and acknowledged by someone from TikGames, SQUARE ENIX, or Eidos Interactive as it's been out 10 days now.

Shameful for a game released in 2012 to have such low res on a PC, just shameful :(

lgm1979
04-19-2012, 08:00 PM

They're not here on Steam forums (although they should probably pop by) but they are responding on their own forum. A patch is in the works, no word when it'll come out or what it will fix but I'm guessing the display issues are at the top of the list.

Good game but I'm holding off playing it until it's fixed.

dukmiester2
04-20-2012, 08:17 AM
They're not here on Steam forums (although they should probably pop by) but they are responding on their own forum. A patch is in the works, no word when it'll come out or what it will fix but I'm guessing the display issues are at the top of the list.

Good game but I'm holding off playing it until it's fixed.

Could you please provide a link to their forum? I click on "visit the website" from the store page and can not seem to find any link to an "official" forum anywhere.

Only link is "support" and it's a SQUARE ENIX support page and Scary Girl is not even in the list or search results when a search is done for "scary girl".

I'd like to see this forum, and keep up on any progress there seeing as how it's very doubtful we'll ever see any devs show up here.

If you could provide a link, I'd very much appreciate it,
thanks.

lgm1979
04-21-2012, 09:50 AM
http://www.scarygirl.com/forum/

They're not responding a lot, sadly. But it is the dev's forum.

dukmiester2
04-21-2012, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the link :)

Seems like a lot of upset peeps there too :(

How on Earth did you find that forum? I could not find a single link from the website:

http://www.scarygirlgame.com/

..which is the page that the Steam Store leads to when you click on "Visit the website"

Thanks for the link, I'll check the "official forum" from time to time as well as here in hopes of a widescreen patch.

Game does look pretty entertaining, but until widescreen or, at the very least, more higher resolution choices, it's a no buy for me.

lgm1979
04-21-2012, 06:52 PM
How on Earth did you find that forum? I could not find a single link from the website:

I just googled Scary Girl and that was the first link that came up. Odd that the official site link isn't a link to there.

dukmiester2
04-21-2012, 10:01 PM
Well, after doing a little digging it would seem that the forum in your link is for the much older flash based game of the EXACT same name :confused:

Here is the web site for the flash based game, which has a link to the forum:

http://www.scarygirl.com/

Notice the "play game" at the top? And also the "forum" link at the top? It points to the forum for the much older Flash Web Browser version of the game.

Sad thing is, I think quite a few people have posted there thinking it was the forum for This game:

http://www.scarygirlgame.com/

You'd think someone would have pointed that out by now, probably that forum hasn't seen any activity for it's intended audience in quite some time.

Thanks for trying, however. I'm not knocking your effort, just wanted to point out that there are actually 2 different games, with 2 different websites, and both have the same name. Only forum for this game, that I can find, is this one so it would seem.

Joan-Michele
04-23-2012, 11:02 AM
The game's max resolution is the same as the native resolution of my secondary display, however, after some digging, I found that there is no way to force the game to run on the second monitor. Switching screens just adds a black screen to the secondary monitor with the image stuck to the first.

lgm1979
05-03-2012, 05:13 PM
Ok so it's been like a month now and this game is still essentially broken. How do we go about complaining loudly regarding this in a way that Valve will hear? I don't see how this game even got past their quality control.

There needs to be a standard like there is with Xbox 360 where a game HAS to support all resolutions, etc... 800x600 is just not acceptable anymore, there is literally no excuse for this. It seems like the game was just dumped on Steam and abandoned, as it shouldn't have taken this long to fix.

So sick of buying these little games on Steam and they're either broken or they're 4 hours long with no replay value. :(

MakaSpaka
05-03-2012, 10:34 PM
I'm pretty PO'd about this. I'm sitting relatively close to a big screen. I simply can't play it at these resolutions. It shows a complete lack of regard for the PC players. I would have bought the PS3 version if I'd known this one was crap. Gotta love how the store page screenshots and video are all in widescreen.

e102
05-04-2012, 04:16 AM
any word from the devs? It'll almost be a month and still nothing and I'm kinda in doubts it takes that long to "unlock" something that's available by default in the console versions..

lgm1979
05-04-2012, 08:51 AM
Nothing from the devs, I've seen this before and it's not good. The game Skydrift, which was excellent, had completely borked multiplayer and for a very short while, the devs were all like "ooh, were looking into that" and then nothing for the last 5 months now.

I think what's happening is these devs/small publishers are literally just dumping their titles onto Steam with the least amount of work possible put into the ports so that they can generate a new revenue stream. There are people like me who see a sweet looking new game and go "whoa! this looks great!" and buy it right away. I had actually seen reviews of Scary Girl for PS3 a while back and thought it looked like a blast, so buying it instantly on Steam when it came out was a no brainer. Who'd have thought they'd pull the same nonsense as Popcap did with PvZ. (except SG has way more problems than just the lack of proper res)

HOnestly, between Scary Girl and a bunch of other games I've bought over the last year that were either broken, sucked, or had 3 hours of gameplay with zero replay value, I'm going to be EXTREMELY cautious about what games I buy from now on. It's like, I bought Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, and it's a cool game but it's 4 hours long with literally no replay value. Why did I buy it?

provitiligo
05-07-2012, 01:13 PM
Any chance of getting a refund for this? I've played 3 mins and keep waiting for resolution fix. Looks like we won't get anything, so I'd get refund.

lgm1979
05-08-2012, 05:17 PM
I don't know if we can get refunds on it or not, I've never attempted a refund through Steam.

I have to say though, yesterday I put my 360 back online for the first time in 3 years and even bought a game through Xbox Live Arcade. At least when you buy games on there, if they're broken the companies HAVE to fix them, and also the games are FUN. Anybody remember fun? I had forgotten what it was what with all the supposedly great indie games on Steam which actually suck really hard.

Valve needs to adopt some standards for the games on their service instead of it being a dumping ground for useless code that like Scary Girl or the countless other broken games.

e102
05-17-2012, 01:51 AM
Anyone else keeps checking this subforum in hopes that maybe the patch was being released?

Still nothing. As much as I like how the game looks and plays I still haven't gone past the first level because I just plain refuse to play the game because of the technical issues.

I have no idea if the developers gave up on this since there was essentially nothing heard from them except that tweet response about the supposed patch being planned maxcube managed to get. Though trying to go to the frozencodebase's site just results in either Google or the browser blocking access to the site due to the website containing malicious content.

Though if it doesn't get fixed it also shows Steam doesn't even care about false advertising.

passthemayo
05-17-2012, 02:57 PM
Thanks for posting about the lack of widescreen support. I almost bought this game on sale at Amazon. I'm glad I checked the Steam forums first.

MakaSpaka
05-18-2012, 05:40 PM
Anyone else keeps checking this subforum in hopes that maybe the patch was being released?

I do. I'm about fed up now. I'm starting to feel pretty sure that a patch is never gonna happen. It's been quite a while now. Anybody have any ideas about who I should start e-mailing to get a refund? I've never tried to get a refund for a game on Steam before.

Joan-Michele
05-18-2012, 06:47 PM
You can try bugging tikgames on their website and twitter for a fix.

Website/contact form : http://www.tikgames.com/about/support/
Twitter : http://twitter.com/#!/TikGames

Please, shelve your frustration away and be polite about it.

e102
05-19-2012, 03:00 AM
You can try bugging tikgames on their website and twitter for a fix.

Website/contact form : http://www.tikgames.com/about/support/
Twitter : http://twitter.com/#!/TikGames

Please, shelve your frustration away and be polite about it.

I used their contact form about the widescreen issue over a month ago but never got a reply so I can't even says if it works. I can't comment if they're any more responsive on Twitter since I don't have a Twitter account.

EnvoidNul
06-15-2012, 05:52 PM
Considering screenshots on the store are 1280x720 wouldn't this be a case of false advertising?

KrossX_
06-15-2012, 09:04 PM
Mwahahaha! http://imgur.com/a/cjGvR
(too bad the sshots got recompressed)

I actually tried to hack it properly, but at most I could only make it not change the registry keys.

-. CheatTable for CheatEngine6
Just activate the first three entries and use the value of your desired resolution. The others change properly, in my case at least.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<CheatTable CheatEngineTableVersion="12">
<CheatEntries>
<CheatEntry>
<ID>3</ID>
<Description>"Width0"</Description>
<Color>80000008</Color>
<VariableType>4 Bytes</VariableType>
<Address>Game.exe+2B1868</Address>
</CheatEntry>
<CheatEntry>
<ID>4</ID>
<Description>"Width1"</Description>
<Color>80000008</Color>
<Address>Game.exe+37D2F0</Address>
</CheatEntry>
<CheatEntry>
<ID>5</ID>
<Description>"Width2"</Description>
<Color>80000008</Color>
<Address>Game.exe+37D690</Address>
</CheatEntry>
<CheatEntry>
<ID>13</ID>
<Description>"No description"</Description>
<Color>80000008</Color>
<Address>Game.exe+2475FC</Address>
</CheatEntry>
<CheatEntry>
<ID>14</ID>
<Color>80000008</Color>
<Address>Game.exe+2487FC</Address>
</CheatEntry>
<CheatEntry>
<ID>15</ID>
<Color>80000008</Color>
<Address>Game.exe+2B186C</Address>
</CheatEntry>
<CheatEntry>
<ID>16</ID>
<Color>80000008</Color>
<Address>Game.exe+37D2F4</Address>
</CheatEntry>
<CheatEntry>
<ID>17</ID>
<Color>80000008</Color>
<Address>Game.exe+37D694</Address>
</CheatEntry>
</CheatEntries>
<UserdefinedSymbols/>
</CheatTable>

Gaspard
06-16-2012, 05:27 AM
Mwahahaha! http://imgur.com/a/cjGvR
(too bad the sshots got recompressed)

Thank you for the hard work. I got the game yesterday and was looking for a way to play it in a widescreen resolution.

I tried your cheattable and did everything you said but as soon as I switch to fullscreen, the screen turns black and I can't play anymore.

KrossX_
06-16-2012, 05:35 AM
Hackzoring tryout 1920x1080 only, seems to work (for me). XD
#EDIT: Enable fullscreen beforehand, just in case.

Just replace the one on your steam folder, and don't forget to backup the original first of course.

http://www.mediafire.com/?4lubpjiobvlv0jy

#EDIT:
Thank you for the hard work. I got the game yesterday and was looking for a way to play it in a widescreen resolution.

I tried your cheattable and did everything you said but as soon as I switch to fullscreen, the screen turns black and I can't play anymore.

Try setting the registry to fullscreen, so that it starts already in fullscreen. I do that, then alt-tab to enable the cheats.

Gaspard
06-17-2012, 08:23 AM
Thank you, now I can finally enjoy this game

isolated1
06-17-2012, 04:35 PM
Can someone please explain how I would use this cheat engine program to make scarygirl run in 1080p? Sorry I am new to the program and just purchased the game today when I saw that it's now working in 1920 x 1080. Thanks!

KrossX_
06-17-2012, 11:57 PM
If it's 1080p, I suggest you try with the patched exe from the link above. Much easier, just don't forget to backup your original file.

Other than that, you could just wait a day or so until I get some easy to use tool ready.

Da_hair
06-18-2012, 05:29 PM
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=31212051

another post on this subforum has a tool to fix the resolution for you

i tried it and it worked

i can finally play this game in fullscreen without it being stretched :)

MakaSpaka
06-19-2012, 11:00 AM
KrossX_, you are one sexy S.O.B. I had almost entirely given up on playing this game.