PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed with demo.

Dana
04-12-2012, 09:30 AM
It really is an inferior copy of Fleet Command, a 12 years old game. Both in terms of visual presentation (sic!) and game play alike.

-Ships are very low poly, they dont even leave a wake ! (on highest graphic settings)
-There is no detail, helis and planes just appear and fly away, there is no taxing, no hangar doors opening etc. Its 2012 for crying out loud.
-Planes fly like UFOs, fighters climb 2000 meters in seconds.
-Figher planes are unresponsive. I order my Raptor wing to engage Eurofighter, they launch 2 amraams and thats that. Eurofighter evades missiles, my Raptors don't care, they continue to fly into the void. You have to manually order attack again for them to fire next salvo, despite being set to aggressive.
-I order my sub to launch 10 Tomahawks at enemy Frigate, it launches all 10 missiles instantaneously and they fly in one blob. Enemy decided to be legendarily thick, launched 2 RIMs, popped 2 tomahawks (all still flying in a blob, there is no physics model) got wasted by rest. Not even tried to spin the CIWSs.
-Damage model and visualization is laughable. Frigate gets hit by tomahawk blob (@up), cloud of particles and fire covers the whole screen. It looks pathetic.
-Same with airplanes, they just explode in the air.
-The particle effects of launching missiles look really awful, like someone just slapped few sprites together.
-Helicopters also do what they want. I order my NH-90 to drop DICASS buoys in the area, fine. Cancel the order and try to drop them in different area ? Nope, cant do. Order to drop a single buoy ? Nope, cant do that as well. You have to order them back to base first, then you can do that.

God dammit, it really feels like an early beta. Maybe demo is a beta build ?

Dr.Jones
04-12-2012, 09:36 AM
On the store web page it says strategy not simulation, if you want simulation this is not it and Fleet Command was strategy game also, you probably want games like Dangerous Waters and Silent Hunter which are simulator of different platforms.

br.
Dr.Jones

Dana
04-12-2012, 09:58 AM
Bullcrap. Its exactly like Fleet Command, in terms of realism. My point is that its poorly executed.

dziban303
04-12-2012, 11:21 AM
Actually, this game is a carbon copy of Harpoon, which is also what Fleet Command was copying.

Not an interesting game. I saw all there was to see during the lame tutorials.

Dr.Jones
04-12-2012, 11:25 AM
Bullcrap. Its exactly like Fleet Command, in terms of realism. My point is that its poorly executed.

I said so, read my comments. Features you described are for simulations not strategy games, physics are not needed in strategy games also fancy animations and so, if you want that go for DCS simulations.

br.
Dr.Jones

Taz
04-12-2012, 09:03 PM
@OP, is it really that bad? You make it sound like an Atari 2600 game... I have Harpoon, Fleet Command, Dangerous Waters, and Sub Command. I was hoping for a refresh but WOW! Maybe not.

Downloading demo now, guess I'll find out soon enough. :eek:

Tomahawk blob..LOL! Can't stop laughing at that.

Hertston
04-12-2012, 11:28 PM
Actually, this game is a carbon copy of Harpoon, which is also what Fleet Command was copying.

Rubbish.

I'm becoming increasingly baffled by the comparisons of Naval War with other games to the the extent I can only assume people have never actually played them. It barely resembles Harpoon in any of it's incarnations, least of all the current one, let alone being a 'carbon copy'. It's rather closer to Fleet Command, but that had no ambitions to be a Harpoon clone either, it was a 'thinking man's' RTS in simulation-ish guise - in unmodded form anyway - but still a click-fest at heart.

As to fancy graphics etc, the simple fact is that games with this subject matter don't sell well; we are lucky to see another commercial one at all. Never wondered why Harpoon 4 was cancelled? Why modern naval sims ended with Dangerous Waters? Terrific sim, that nobody bought. Great graphics cost, and that cost wouldn't be recovered, so we have to live with 'adequate' - which these are. If the OP isn't happy, well that's what the demo is for. And, if looking for a simulation, there's always Global Conflict Blue if you can't live with Harpoon's graphics. Price is even better than NW.

Soulsick82
04-13-2012, 07:13 PM
I'll never understand the attitudes toward people on the internet.

All the OPs observations are correct. I'm underwhelmed by the inferiority of the game compared to FC.
That being said I still look forward to putting some time into the game.