PDA

View Full Version : Portal 2 PC not working

Ozzie-111
04-13-2012, 08:26 AM
I got Portal 2 for my PS3, and it came with the free download. So I downloaded Steam and the game, and I can play the game, up until I go into a level. I still hear everything, and I can see the crosshairs/target/whatever. And according to Chapter 1, I can look up and down. But the rest of the screen is black. This happens in Single and Multiplayer. How do I fix this?
And I don't know if this is related, but the loading screen gets a heavy blue tint about 1/3 of the way through.

Fish-E
04-13-2012, 08:28 AM
I got Portal 2 for my PS3, and it came with the free download. So I downloaded Steam and the game, and I can play the game, up until I go into a level. I still hear everything, and I can see the crosshairs/target/whatever. And according to Chapter 1, I can look up and down. But the rest of the screen is black. This happens in Single and Multiplayer. How do I fix this?
And I don't know if this is related, but the loading screen gets a heavy blue tint about 1/3 of the way through.

Do you know your system's specs? If you're playing on a laptop then you might not meet the minimum requirements.

Also try verifying the game's files. I've created a brief image guide here (http://imgur.com/a/2z71t#0).

Ozzie-111
04-13-2012, 09:08 AM
Do you know your system's specs? If you're playing on a laptop then you might not meet the minimum requirements.

Also try verifying the game's files. I've created a brief image guide here (http://imgur.com/a/2z71t#0).

No, I'm not sure of the specs. It's Windows XP, and not a laptop. I'm not quite sure how to find out my system specs...

And I'm doing the second thing now. I'll tell you the results when it's done.

EDIT: It said one file was bad and it would put it on again, then a thing popped up saying Portal 2 has finished downloading, so I'll try playing it now.

Ozzie-111
04-13-2012, 09:28 AM
I restarted my computer and tried playing again. Still not working. Here's the blue loading screen. It started on the second loading dot thing. http://tinypic.com/r/2s9u6aq/5

Zekiran
04-13-2012, 09:35 AM
To get your system specs the easy way:

Open steam. In the top of the main screen there is a Help tab. Click on that, and select System Information. Allow steam to analyze your system. It will bring up a screen with the info. Right-click that screen and 'select all' then copy it. You can paste it here. Also it's a good idea to allow it to share with the system to compare your rig, that way Steam's demographics can be better tuned to their users.

Ozzie-111
04-13-2012, 09:39 AM
Here's what it says. I don't see a way to share it with the system, though.

Processor Information:
Vendor: GenuineIntel
Speed: 2399 Mhz
2 logical processors
2 physical processors
HyperThreading: Unsupported
FCMOV: Supported
SSE2: Supported
SSE3: Supported
SSSE3: Supported
SSE4a: Unsupported
SSE41: Unsupported
SSE42: Unsupported

Network Information:
Network Speed:

Operating System Version:
Windows XP (32 bit)
NTFS: Supported
Crypto Provider Codes: Supported 323 0x0 0x0 0x0

Video Card:
Driver: Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family

DirectX Driver Name: igxprd32.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.10.4964
DirectX Driver Version: 6.14.10.4964
Driver Date: 27 June 2008
Desktop Color Depth: 32 bits per pixel
Monitor Refresh Rate: 75 Hz
DirectX Card: Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family
VendorID: 0x8086
DeviceID: 0x29c2
Number of Monitors: 1
Number of Logical Video Cards: 1
No SLI or Crossfire Detected
Primary Display Resolution: 1280 x 1024
Desktop Resolution: 1280 x 1024
Primary Display Size: 12.60" x 10.08" (16.10" diag)
32.0cm x 25.6cm (40.9cm diag)
Primary Bus Type Not Detected
Primary VRAM: 384 MB
Supported MSAA Modes Not Detected

Sound card:
Audio device: Realtek HD Audio output

Memory:
RAM: 2038 Mb

Miscellaneous:
UI Language: English
Microphone: Not set
Media Type: DVD
Total Hard Disk Space Available: 46932 Mb
Largest Free Hard Disk Block: 8646 Mb
OS Install Date: Jun 07 2007
Game Controller: None detected

Zekiran
04-13-2012, 09:55 AM
Your Intel express integrated video chip is the problem you're having. It isn't generally capable of running Source games particularly the newest one Portal 2. In order to share the info, on that same page where it says to analyze, you can 'compare your system'. that's where. :)

Ozzie-111
04-13-2012, 10:25 AM
So would I have to buy a new video chip, or is there a way around that?

Zekiran
04-13-2012, 10:45 AM
If you're running a laptop you can't. If you are running on a desktop you can buy a CARD - the CHIP is the thing that's actually built into the motherboard. A lot of newer chips CAN run some source games, but Portal 2 is a very advanced version of the source engine and leaves most integrated chips in the dust. I know, I had one do that to me.

If you can upgrade your whole computer, look into video CARDS. The kind which you actually put into the pci slots in the rig. Some run source better than others, and a lot of comparisons can be found if you do a good google search. Don't expect them to be cheap, source is a graphics-heavy engine and needs some oomph to run it. Also if you buy a new card, make sure the REST of your computer is up to it - a power supply may also be in order because some video cards suck down juice like crazy.

In the long run you'll want one anyway, if you can upgrade you should do so every few years. You'll be able to play better and more modern games as time goes by.

Ozzie-111
04-13-2012, 10:48 AM
Okay, thank you for the help. I'll look into it.

I'm also having problems with something else, and if it's not too much trouble, could you look at this thread and see if you could help?

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2648464

Zekiran
04-13-2012, 11:49 AM
The PS3 version you might want to head down into that section of the forums, I know nothing but the pc game ;) But yeah that's kind of weird. Sometimes steam achievements are a bit wonky anyway, not sure how the ps3 complicates it all.