PDA

View Full Version : Please don't label games published by EA as "Indie"

Woofy12
04-13-2012, 01:43 PM
See title. The definition of "indie" is to not be in bed with a publishing mega-corp, which is demonstrably not the case here. Please change to avoid misleading presentation.

Disc1ple
04-13-2012, 01:59 PM
See title. The definition of "indie" is to not be in bed with a publishing mega-corp, which is demonstrably not the case here. Please change to avoid misleading presentation.

It's all about making money on the indie "genre".
Same thing with Ubisoft.
How can they tag games as indie when it is not indie :confused:

otaku4225
05-03-2012, 09:22 AM
The games in the bundle are developed solely by indie developers though...

I HeaR vOices
05-03-2012, 07:19 PM
May be indie developed, but I do agree that once it crosses into the land known as EA it starts to loose that Indie...ness. Though I think with that it could be labeled as either. Maybe they should just label it as "EA touched Indie game" or "Indie game with a ♥♥♥♥♥ soul"

s1234567890m
05-04-2012, 02:09 AM
There is no exact widely-accepted definition of what constitutes an "indie game".[4] However, generally indie games share certain commonalities. Indie games are developed by individuals, small teams, or small independent companies.[5] And, typically, indie games are smaller than mainstream titles.[6] Indie game developers are not financially backed by publishers and usually have little to no budget available,[7] thereby generally relying on Internet digital distribution schemes.[8] Being independent, indie developers do not have controlling interests[9] or creative limitations[10] and do not require publisher approval[11] as mainstream game developers usually do.[12] Design decisions are thus also not limited by the allocated budget.[13] Furthermore, smaller team sizes increase individual involvement.[14] Therefore indie games are known for innovation, creativity, and artistic experimentation.[15] Developers may also be limited in ability to create graphics, so they have to rely on gameplay innovation.[16] Both classic game genres and new gameplay innovation has been seen.[17] However, being "indie" does not imply that the game focuses on innovation.[6]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indie_game

Seems to me arguing because you just dont like EA really

fedorov92
05-06-2012, 01:07 AM
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/05/05/interview-kleis-anderson-talks-upside-of-eas-indies/

That explains it. The companies in question had no creative pressure from EA, so they truly are Indie. All this was was financial backing and a major publisher.

peorenudel
05-06-2012, 12:09 PM
LOL EA Indie bundle, just saw it.. Who's gonna benefit from this

Joe Christ
05-06-2012, 06:32 PM
This was very deceptive. Good game or not, I never would have considered purchasing Warp if I'd known it was an EA title.

Maybe that's the reason it was deceptive. EA knows their brand is poison.

socharis
07-13-2012, 01:34 AM
This reminds me of when Ubisoft said From Dust wouldn't have the DRM that it ended up actually having... it's that unbelievable.

pixogen
07-20-2012, 12:43 PM
It is an indie game. You can't judge a game by its publisher.
Trapdoor is the developer ( game design, art and programming )
EA is the publisher ( publishing / financial and EA related programming )

Indie game developers concantrate on the idea mostly. They try out new game designs. This is what makes indie games. So, they are not interested in making a game to compete with another title. They are supposed to be unique in some cases. This approach only makes this game indie.