PDA

View Full Version : New UGC HL team looking for mid/high-skill players for the summer season.

JayDeadly
04-15-2012, 09:33 PM
Hello all, we are the Independent Fighters Alliance. Over the past two seasons we've fielded two Highlander teams, most recently in UGC Steel Blue. For the upcoming Summer Season, we're looking to form a 3rd (High-Steel-level) team. We're looking for skilled players, but there are a few requirements more important than skill. You must be able to commit to practice at least 4 nights a week (not counting Monday, which is match-night). You must be willing to take constructive criticism...there will be no name-calling and ill-will, but if we wish to succeed, we must be willing to work and grow as a team. Having a mic is not mandatory (unless you're Heavy/Demo/Medic) but strongly encouraged. Please feel free to apply....my guidelines may sound harsh, but we're more than willing to work with you if we like the way you play. You can't find out if you don't try out, right? Cheers! :)

L1quid Ic3
04-15-2012, 09:41 PM
I consider myself fairly decent as soldier and scout and would love to try out. I practice fairly often on your NY MGE server. I'd love to try out although I'm not sure I'm good enough for a mid/high level skill team

I have 950 hours on TF2
I have 110+ hours on soldier pubbing since August since that was when I last cleared my stats. I can't confirm my availibility just yet but if I can't start I'm more than willing to play backup to get comp experience.

JayDeadly
04-15-2012, 10:09 PM
Hey man, thanks for your interest. Availability is a big issue, but I'm sure we can get you on backup if you can't make it as a starter. We'll contact you probably tomorrow, and we can do some lobbies. Sound good? :)

L1quid Ic3
04-15-2012, 10:21 PM
Sounds good. I'll be on for most of the afternoon.

JayDeadly
04-15-2012, 10:23 PM
We should be on around 7-8:00pm Eastern...is that too late for you?

L1quid Ic3
04-15-2012, 10:47 PM
I should be on at those times. I'm not certain once school starts again though. Kind of a reason I'm looking for a summer season team actually.

JayDeadly
04-15-2012, 10:57 PM
Gotcha. Ok, we'll talk tomorrow then.

Tributary
04-16-2012, 11:34 AM
Hey there, I consider myself a high level sniper, and have played one season of UGC Highlander as well as several 6v6 matches as a substitute. I have 1600 hours total on TF2, with more than 300 hours of those on sniper. I can also off-class as scout if need be. I have a headset mic and am experienced in voice communication as well as map location vocabulary.

I'm usually available weeknights past about 6:30 PST, and occasionally on weekend nights.

The Steam community website is down and I'm on my phone right now, but I'll add you when I get home. If you want to add me, i'm "Tributary /AoC-A/" in the community.

JayDeadly
04-16-2012, 01:28 PM
Hey man, sounds good. I'm at work myself; we'll contact you sometime after 4:00pm Pacific (if you're not home til 6:30, that's fine, we can talk then). Does that work for you? :)

L1quid Ic3
04-16-2012, 04:29 PM
might not get on until about 7:30-7:45

JayDeadly
04-16-2012, 06:45 PM
Here Tributary, here's my steam profile. Go ahead and add me when you're home :)

http://steamcommunity.com/id/jaydeadly

JayDeadly
04-17-2012, 01:36 PM
Bump! We still need lots of players.

BanjoPw
04-17-2012, 01:40 PM
you might be alienating people by saying "mid/high"

traditionally even the best HL teams are what most people consider "mid" simply because the best players do not play HL. If you start asking for mid players, which is more realistic, you may get a better response.

JayDeadly
04-17-2012, 01:45 PM
I understand your point, sir. However, I'm not speaking from the perspective of a 6v6 team. I want mid/high Highlander players...no one who plays 6's would ever stop looking down their nose long enough to even consider joining a Highlander team anyway. No offense, if you happen to play 6's, just my opinion, based on my own experience :)

speedygeek
04-17-2012, 04:47 PM
You want mid-high players.

For a new team in steel.
For summer season.

Might want to set your standards lower.

BanjoPw
04-17-2012, 05:04 PM
I understand your point, sir. However, I'm not speaking from the perspective of a 6v6 team. I want mid/high Highlander players...no one who plays 6's would ever stop looking down their nose long enough to even consider joining a Highlander team anyway. No offense, if you happen to play 6's, just my opinion, based on my own experience :)

I'm just saying that the concept of rankings was created with 6s in mind, long before HL reached any sort of popularity. We sort of set the standard for what each skill level looks like, and to reduce confusion there is no such thing as a different standard for HL.

Good luck but you're going about this a little screwball.

JayDeadly
04-17-2012, 06:17 PM
You want mid-high players.

For a new team in steel.
For summer season.

Might want to set your standards lower.

Well sir, we are an established clan, and our teams have proven themselves in several seasons already. All we want is established players to join our "new" third team, to compete in high Steel, and perhaps even low Plat. Thanks for the input! :)

JayDeadly
04-17-2012, 06:18 PM
I'm just saying that the concept of rankings was created with 6s in mind, long before HL reached any sort of popularity. We sort of set the standard for what each skill level looks like, and to reduce confusion there is no such thing as a different standard for HL.

Good luck but you're going about this a little screwball.

Haha, point well taken, sir :) As a matter of fact, there's an active discussion among the UGC team leaders right now, to decide whether we should keep the old 6's guidelines for our rating system, or make a new one tailored to HL play. We shall see what comes of it. Thanks for your input and best of luck!

Barkjon
04-17-2012, 07:01 PM
Heyyy, I'm Barkjon. I have played soldier on a low level 6's team in the past. Anyways, I've recently picked up Demoman and was looking to play some HL. I was looking to join your team as Demo, then. I still need a bit of training to do as Demo to get to comp level, but I'd like to give it a try! :D

Anyways, PM me and we can talk further!

AlbusPluvia
04-17-2012, 07:04 PM
no one who plays 6's would ever stop looking down their nose long enough to even consider joining a Highlander team anyway.

:/ My friends play both HL and 6s. Never seen those guys?

Ah well :) Good luck with your team ;)

CRM21
04-17-2012, 07:48 PM
I'd like to join, where is application

speedygeek
04-18-2012, 01:47 PM
Well sir, we are an established clan, and our teams have proven themselves in several seasons already. All we want is established players to join our "new" third team, to compete in high Steel, and perhaps even low Plat. Thanks for the input! :)

Wait, what? IFA hasn't even been around that long in ugc. And how have you "proven" yourselves? All I see is that you guys got knocked off first round in iron and tin playoffs. That's not exactly lighting the ugc world on fire.

You're asking for mid-high players. Typically that would mean guys are IM level or higher. Asking for mid-high HIGHLANDER players (notice that this is a whole different way of rating) means you're looking for guys that have skills to win platinum. Yet you're not even making mic mandatory for everyone?

Sorry, but your team isn't quite at that level to be brutally honest.

There's nothing wrong with looking for high level players so you guys can improve, but if you want players who have the skills to be in top platinum teams, then your team better be dedicated to fight to the top. That means actually competing in platinum, not steel, and actually being dedicated. Allowing players without mic is certainly not fitting that.

JayDeadly
04-18-2012, 02:33 PM
Speedygeek, I appreciate your advice, your analysis, and your brutal honesty. However, I don't believe you completely understand. IFA has two perfectly fine teams, as far as Steel goes. We're not looking for more players for those two teams, nor are we looking for players on our level. We're looking for players better than us to compete on a high Steel/low Platinum level. As far as mics go, you certainly have a point, I'll probably change that to mandatory. The reason I didn't make it mandatory in the first place? The original IFA team has a spy who never has, and probably never will, use a mic. He topfrags in every single game we play, usually even above the medic, and he uses chat binds to tell us the important stuff. While I grant you he's a rare find, I don't want to discount the possibility of there being other, equally skilled and mic-less players out there. Anyway, thanks again. Best of luck and have a great day! :)

BanjoPw
04-18-2012, 03:12 PM
wow he outfrags the medic?

pro.

shiftup72
04-18-2012, 03:16 PM

pro.

Most probably means points.

JayDeadly
04-18-2012, 03:56 PM

pro.

My apologies, I did indeed mean points. Frantically posting during a 5 minute break at work leads to all sorts of grammatical errors, haha.