PDA

View Full Version : Is this another one of those not-games?

DoomyDoomDoom
04-16-2012, 06:45 PM
They seem more interested in advertising music and art or something. Is it a puzzle platformer?

nEmoGrinder
04-16-2012, 07:27 PM
not a platformer, but definitely a game.

it's closest to a point and click but there is combat as well. It's very well reviewed for a reason (it's new for PC but been available on iOS for some time now, go ahead and read some reviews).

The reason why the art and music are promoted so much is because the artist and musician are fairly well known and both aspects of the game (visuals and audio) are definitely key to the experience.

Videotape
04-16-2012, 07:58 PM
They seem more interested in advertising music and art or something. Is it a puzzle platformer?

well im sure the devs consider the game art, and what are they advertising the soundtrack is free with the game...

its defiantly a game there's even punchout style combat, never very hard but very much a game.

that said its strong suits aren't the mechanical game-play, as i said in a different topic, but instead the way the art and sound bring the player into the world. the atmosphere is up there with ico & sotc

Spattercat
04-16-2012, 08:08 PM
Is it a "heavy" experience? I'm pretty into archetypes, the artistic experience, and theories of being. Does this game weigh in with all that?

Zet237
04-16-2012, 08:19 PM
Is it a "heavy" experience? I'm pretty into archetypes, the artistic experience, and theories of being. Does this game weigh in with all that?

If you're serious, then I'm certain, this is for you. ;)

Spattercat
04-16-2012, 08:48 PM
Yeah, I'm a Robert E. Howard fan, and a pagan sort who follows moon phases too. Discordian too! Still on the right track with this game?

runtheplacered
04-16-2012, 09:45 PM
I like unicorns, baby powder, and purple wallpaper. Am I in the right place...?

r5rs
04-16-2012, 10:15 PM
Unlike Dear Esther, it does have actual interaction, but imho the control scheme is awful. It might have been nice on the iPad but it is terrible with a mouse and keyboard. Played it for 10 minutes and uninstalled in disgust. This is it, Steam, I'm never wasting my money on another one of these hippie games without a demo first, I don't care how cheap it is.

xandramas
04-16-2012, 11:11 PM
its better than the ♥♥♥♥fest dear esther but the first enemy in the game wont initiate combat therefore is broken. The game is unplayable past that point. Dont buy it till they fix this issue.

LupinMupin
04-17-2012, 03:34 AM
not much of a game, extremely short but look at the price-tag..

Stollen
04-17-2012, 12:47 PM
extremely short but look at the price-tag..

Yep. Easily worth the 4.50, and you get the awesome soundtrack to boot ;D.
I'm only 50% through the game and I can honestly say it's already been worth it.
I don't know why someone here complained about the mouse & keyboard setup though.. it's so easy you cannot possibly fail. You point the mouse, and you click to interact. Nothing more needed.

I say go for it, if you can spare yourself the price of a hamburger ;)

the magpie
04-19-2012, 02:10 PM
Unlike Dear Esther, it does have actual interaction, but imho the control scheme is awful. It might have been nice on the iPad but it is terrible with a mouse and keyboard. Played it for 10 minutes and uninstalled in disgust. This is it, Steam, I'm never wasting my money on another one of these hippie games without a demo first, I don't care how cheap it is.

Controls? Really? Is this the first time you've ever played a point and click adventure game? What were you expecting from the game? Did you blindly download this without reading reviews or looking at the store page info? so many questions.

Muffalopadus
04-19-2012, 02:29 PM
Well, the point and click part of the game is fine. The combat REALLY needed to just be left and right mouse buttons though...>_>

Besides that, I love the game. The art and music are fantastic, the writing is goofy but still moody...its a good thing to play. I wish I had an iphone thing but a PC will have to do.

Saijin_Naib
04-19-2012, 02:35 PM
Well, the point and click part of the game is fine. The combat REALLY needed to just be left and right mouse buttons though...>_>

This x1000.
I have a 5 button mouse, I find it inefficient that I can't choose to have one of those 5 bound to shield and one bound to attack.

r5rs
04-22-2012, 09:21 PM
I finally figured out when they tell you to "tip tap" this is actually a coded message indicating that you should double click.

I've played plenty of adventure games and I do not recall a single one requiring a double click to move around. Single click does nothing in this game except cause a small black hole to temporarily appear around the click point.

When I first tried to play the game I was holding down the button and as the protagonist starts to walk the screen scrolls, so that you had to keep moving the mouse to get the character to stop in a fixed location, which is annoying.

Once you learn to double click it's not so bad but this is not the way that other adventure games do it.

Krios
04-24-2012, 12:21 AM
The one thing I wish they'd have done away with was the "LINK TO YOUR TWITTER ACCOUNT!!" "YOU SHOULD TOTALLY TWEET THIS BRO~"

The dialogue was pretty strange too, sometimes it was really formal, then it would get really informal; sometimes in the same sentence.

:o

Oh well, maybe I'm just picky. The art and music are really amazing though.

Videotape
04-24-2012, 11:52 AM
its better than the ♥♥♥♥fest dear esther but the first enemy in the game wont initiate combat therefore is broken. The game is unplayable past that point. Dont buy it till they fix this issue.

hahahahahaaaa, thanks for a laugh

FlyveHest
04-24-2012, 12:24 PM

Not really much of a game, I think, an interactive art display would be more precise, the story isn't even really good or anything.

I was pretty disappointed, after the rave reviews it had gotten on iPad, methinks its very much the emperors new clothes effect.

SweetNothing
04-25-2012, 10:10 AM
To be fair, OP, this game comes close to being "one of those not-games." There are traditional gameplay elements such as quests and puzzles and combat, but they are relatively easy and they really aren't the focus. In fact, each major element - graphics, music, storyline, and gameplay - when examined individually, seems simple or minimalistic. But they all come together with a beautiful gestalt that is difficult to describe. So you see everyone on the internet using words like "art" and "experience" to describe it.

I think the devs set out to give people an archetypal experience (a la Carl Jung or Joseph Campbell) via a computer game. If that makes you snort or roll your eyes, then you probably wouldn't enjoy the title. For my part, I think they succeeded nearly perfectly. And I found it to be an experience well worth having.

I'm finding it frustratingly difficult to write about the game without lapsing into dreadful cliches. But let me just say, that in the three decades I've been playing computer games, no game has ever made me shed a tear before. It moved me like a good book or a good movie would.

Obviously, I loved it. That said, if you think gameplay is the driving reason a game should exist and you find "artgames" boring, you might want to pass on this one.

Harv
04-25-2012, 01:10 PM
This x1000.
I have a 5 button mouse, I find it inefficient that I can't choose to have one of those 5 bound to shield and one bound to attack.

I honestly find it weird that a simple system like this needs anything beyond what it has given. The icons are big and right next to eachother. It's not an fps or action game with milisecond timings.

Saijin_Naib
04-25-2012, 01:52 PM
I honestly find it weird that a simple system like this needs anything beyond what it has given. The icons are big and right next to eachother. It's not an fps or action game with milisecond timings.
Nope, but it feels unintuitive. Its an entirely subjective complaint. The controls as-is are completely sufficient, I simply dislike them.

S_Jake
04-28-2012, 05:05 AM
To be fair, OP, this game comes close to being "one of those not-games." There are traditional gameplay elements such as quests and puzzles and combat, but they are relatively easy and they really aren't the focus. In fact, each major element - graphics, music, storyline, and gameplay - when examined individually, seems simple or minimalistic. But they all come together with a beautiful gestalt that is difficult to describe. So you see everyone on the internet using words like "art" and "experience" to describe it.

I think the devs set out to give people an archetypal experience (a la Carl Jung or Joseph Campbell) via a computer game. If that makes you snort or roll your eyes, then you probably wouldn't enjoy the title. For my part, I think they succeeded nearly perfectly. And I found it to be an experience well worth having.

I'm finding it frustratingly difficult to write about the game without lapsing into dreadful cliches. But let me just say, that in the three decades I've been playing computer games, no game has ever made me shed a tear before. It moved me like a good book or a good movie would.

Obviously, I loved it. That said, if you think gameplay is the driving reason a game should exist and you find "artgames" boring, you might want to pass on this one.

^ This. The nearest comparable game I can think of is ICO. If that was a game that appealed to you, then you should probably check this out. If not, then you are probably wasting your time (and money).

DrZombo
04-29-2012, 10:05 AM
Single click does nothing in this game except cause a small black hole to temporarily appear around the click point.

If you click and drag, it drags the screen, duh.

DrZombo
04-29-2012, 10:08 AM
The dialogue was pretty strange too, sometimes it was really formal, then it would get really informal; sometimes in the same sentence.

:o

Oh well, maybe I'm just picky. The art and music are really amazing though.

Quite some people are complaining about the speech style(Maybe not really complaining, but saying it is odd), but i think that style is pretty unique and makes the universe even richer; it somehow makes it more magical, gives the sensation that the whole world is part of a dream, or it is disconnected from the real world, which it really should be, as it is a fantasy setting. Funny or not, a unique kind of speech helps shaping an universe a lot. Take A ClockWork Orange as an example.

There.

taodemon
05-02-2012, 03:35 AM
Would it be worth getting this for PC instead of on an iOS device?

Kriton
05-03-2012, 02:14 PM
I'd say its overhyped. Audio was ok. Not good though. Controls? They are made for a touch device, not for a mouse... Visual ? Come on.... I guess they are ok for the iOs and it would be a great visual experience 20 years ago too... Story? nowhere... gameplay? click randomly... There are much better games out there for 5 bucks.

Hoboparty
05-04-2012, 09:20 AM
If you consider Uncharted 3 to be a game, you would consider this to be a game. There isn't a whole lot of player choice but there are weird little things to discover and an adventure to be had. I really liked the characters/music/artwork/dialogue, but it is a linear experience for the most part, with very little combat.

metalhead0043
05-04-2012, 02:10 PM

Besides that, I love the game. The art and music are fantastic, the writing is goofy but still moody...its a good thing to play. I wish I had an iphone thing but a PC will have to do.

You can use the Z and X keys to control the sword and shield in combat. Unfortunately I didn't figure that out until the very last fight, but it's not really necessary to beat this game anyway.

Speaking of, I just finished it and I enjoyed it a lot. It isn't for everyone though.

MPaans
05-05-2012, 09:46 AM
I'd say its overhyped. Audio was ok. Not good though. Controls? They are made for a touch device, not for a mouse... Visual ? Come on.... I guess they are ok for the iOs and it would be a great visual experience 20 years ago too... Story? nowhere... gameplay? click randomly... There are much better games out there for 5 bucks.

This brings up an interesting point. When this game (and other games like Portal, Braid) first came out, it took people by surprise, adding to the overall experience. If you're someone who reads endless (and undoubtely biased) reviews, and hear everyone rave about it, then I think your expectations are raised too high.

This is exactly why I don't read too much reviews, don't read (or try to ignore) what people say, and go by my gut feeling that I get from the trailer and store page. Usually, this works very well for me.

Anyway.. to address your points. Audio was indeed nothing too special. There are some nice tunes that imo fit well. I don't see what people complain about the controls.. they're very straightforward. A great visual experience is in the eye of the beholder. I liked the retro style. No story? Are you kidding me? Or maybe you need a bit of fantasy to think beyond what's being said and shown. And as for gameplay.. adventure games pretty much never deliver on that as they usually are linear. As for just randomly clicking stuff.. it differs. But it doesn't ever become really hard to solve a puzzle, imo.

Finally, I wouldn't say there are better games out there for $5.. there are more different (conventional) games out there for that money. I had a nice experience playing this game, and I think the trailer gives a pretty good feeling of what the game is like. If it doesn't appeal to you, then simply don't buy it.