PDA

View Full Version : Game is crashing on startup

Marsproject
04-18-2012, 05:53 PM
Ok when starting up the game, FO3 Game of the year edition, i'm getting this application error right as the slide thing starts for the game menu animation.

Fallout3.exe - Application Error

The instruction at "0x00627180" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "read".

Click on OK to terminate the program
Click on CANCEL to debug the program

While I do mod this game, I uninstalled it and completely deleted anything that had to do with FO3 entirely so I could have a fresh start. And i'm at a complete loss at what to do to fix this.

high6
04-20-2012, 11:42 AM
Ok when starting up the game, FO3 Game of the year edition, i'm getting this application error right as the slide thing starts for the game menu animation.

While I do mod this game, I uninstalled it and completely deleted anything that had to do with FO3 entirely so I could have a fresh start. And i'm at a complete loss at what to do to fix this.

Having the same issue. I ♥♥♥♥ing hate GFWL. The only games I have ever had crashing issues with are GFWL games. Also most of the time its due to ♥♥♥♥ty xlive.

Jordan94jb
04-20-2012, 12:30 PM
Make sure GFWL is installed. There's also a program (http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/mods/1086) on the Nexus that removes the dependency Fallout 3 has on it.

high6
04-21-2012, 08:27 AM
Whelp this is what I get for buying games. I remember when fallout3 first came out and didn't have any issues like this.

Tried everything and I still get the crash on startup.

-Updated drivers.
-Tried downloading d3d9.dll manually.
-Set compatibility to xp/vista. Also run as admin.
-Reinstalled ♥♥♥♥ty xlive.
-Verified game integrity.
-Tried disabling xlive with that patcher.

Edit:

Turns out you have to delete "C:\Users\<user>\Documents\My Games\Fallout3".

Souzouteki
05-26-2012, 04:17 AM
Turns out you have to delete "C:\Users\<user>\Documents\My Games\Fallout3".

Thanks mate, Fallout was crashing as soon as I clicked "Play" in the launcher, giving me the message "Fallout 3 has stopped working."

I deleted the files in the \My Games\Fallout 3 folder (but kept the Saves folder) and went ahead to launch the game - it worked.

So I'm bumping this post for others having this problem.