PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it?

halororor
04-24-2012, 11:28 AM
No, this guy's post basically sums it up.

I bought this game cheap a while back and felt like getting into a greek mythology RPG like Titan Quest. However, what I didn't realize was that this game is nothing of the sort.

This is fine, as I can't expect everything to be similar, so I gave it a shot and played through the intro part of the game.

The game is exactly like playing an MMO. The wasd + right mouse look movement controls, the interface, the combat especially, the quests, and everything else. This IS a single player MMO, dumbed down, offline, and playing alone.

I tried to like it, but I can't force myself to play alone in an MMO type game when I can always jump into a real one.

If you're looking for a decent hack 'n slash to play, you're not getting it here. Rather check out Titan Quest. It's infinitely better.

NoahS1
04-24-2012, 11:30 AM
No, this guy's post basically sums it up.

If you're looking for a decent hack 'n slash to play, you're not getting it here. Rather check out Titan Quest. It's infinitely better.

Thank you and others for the info!

Radman2011
04-24-2012, 03:01 PM
TQ has respawning enemies which is very frustrating, Numen has fully 3D graphics and looks great, TQ is isometric...

oh, and its 1.99, worth a shot...

elixenie
04-24-2012, 03:15 PM
I bought this a while back but just tried it out for the first time. I'd buy it again at this price, but for those with high sensitivity to badness I should point out two things:

1. The writing is long-winded and miserable. If you've played foreign MMOs which were translated carelessly, this will be familiar ground: NPCs starting sentences with "anyway," often trying to be funny, making references to gaming clichés, etc. Thankfully there seem to be very few opportunities to speak with anyone.

2. More importantly, there is no apparent way to adjust camera sensitivity. I had to turn it down globally to get comfortable control, and even then it felt choppy. Doing this made the pointer unbearably slow. If your mouse lets you adjust sensitivity on the fly, go for it. Otherwise I can see this becoming pretty aggravating.

halororor
04-24-2012, 03:35 PM
TQ has respawning enemies which is very frustrating

TQ's enemies only respawn after you quit and reload the game. Numen's enemies respawn constantly, WHILE playing the game.

So, uhm, wat.

mompkin
04-24-2012, 04:27 PM
I certainly didn't care for it, I gave it the ol' college try after I bought it on sale a while ago, and I just found it alternatively quite boring and quite frustrating. I can't say that I'm mad that I paid ~2 buck for it, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone if they asked me. For the price though, if you want to play a hack n' slash desperately, might as well try it.

Ducon
04-24-2012, 05:13 PM
I bought it and after the first level the lack of controller support and bad gameplay make it unplayable. Steam would not give me a refund even though I told them I hated this game.

Did I get this right. You cant be arsed to download a demo and try it out before buying and then go crying to support when "it suxx"?

Wurzel_Pummage
04-24-2012, 07:32 PM
Numen has fully 3D graphics and looks great, TQ is isometric...

Is that genuinely how you decide if a game is good or not? :eek:

Alex1981
04-24-2012, 07:44 PM
Is that genuinely how you decide if a game is good or not? :eek:

For some people, the ability to change the camera angle is a big thing in an ARPG. As an example, I wouldn't be able to play Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning if I couldn't rotate the camera.

Some games are designed well with a fixed view, some aren't. MOST aren't.

EDIT: After playing the demo, I think the game is crap. But it has nothing to do with the camera system...

City Builder
04-24-2012, 11:54 PM
For $2.00 it's got some fun in it.

But keep in mind, this game IS $2.00 so don't expect that you're buying some AAA title. You're basically buying a little fun for $2.00

kovi_cz
04-25-2012, 12:42 AM
There is a lot to what City Builder wrote - Numen is a small indie RPG made by a bunch of guys, it was never meant to be in the same league as The Witcher. If you are expecting something like that you definitely won't find it here. But if you would like to see what one scripter and three artists can make, check this game out.

Radman2011
04-25-2012, 05:07 AM
good defence, can't understand the attacks on your game..

Wurzel_Pummage
04-25-2012, 08:52 AM
For some people, the ability to change the camera angle is a big thing in an ARPG. As an example, I wouldn't be able to play Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning if I couldn't rotate the camera.

I wouldn't be able to play Kingdoms of Amalur with the camera fixed either but that doesn't mean a fixed camera is bad. The quality of the implementation should decide if it is good or bad and not the idea itself. A fixed aerial camera is obviously going to give you a greater area of vision than a fixed camera at ground level so I feel that is an unfair comparison :)

Alex1981
04-25-2012, 03:44 PM
I wouldn't be able to play Kingdoms of Amalur with the camera fixed either but that doesn't mean a fixed camera is bad. The quality of the implementation should decide if it is good or bad and not the idea itself. A fixed aerial camera is obviously going to give you a greater area of vision than a fixed camera at ground level so I feel that is an unfair comparison :)

Which is why I said this part:
Some games are designed well with a fixed view, some aren't. MOST aren't.

Some games get it right, a lot don't. A bunch of games have made the camera a worse antagonist than any in-game enemy.