PDA

View Full Version : does the game support a controller?

Rumtruffle
04-24-2012, 11:19 AM
natively?

Dr Apocalypse
04-24-2012, 05:55 PM
No i don't think so, but in all honesty i didn't dig to deep into it. It doesn't mention it on the steam page store, plus the lack of in-game options tell me no sir.

Baresark
04-24-2012, 06:10 PM
All games support a controller with Xpadder. But yeah, not natively.

b3NNy
04-25-2012, 02:08 AM
Why would you need one : arrows to move, X to interact, C to use the gun : easy enough ...
This game doesn't need controller support IMO

Baresark
04-25-2012, 08:30 AM
It's a bit more fun to play a game like this on a controller I think. I also think it makes it easier to sit back from my 27" monitor to play this since it doesn't play in a window.

freibooter
06-07-2012, 11:05 AM
It's a bit more fun to play a game like this on a controller I think. I also think it makes it easier to sit back from my 27" monitor to play this since it doesn't play in a window.
Well, my monitor is only 24" ... but I still enjoy leaning back and relaxing with a gamepad in hand whenever it's reasonable.
Proper gamepad support would also enhance the 8-bit vibe this game has going ...

Yes, using Xpadder with this game is easy, but at least XInput support is comparably easy to implement and native support would certainly be appreciated.

drstupidphd
06-07-2012, 07:12 PM
If you're making an xpadder config, the game has a bunch more keys you can configure, I think this is all of them:

Arrow keys: movement
X: interact/shoot
C: weapon mode toggle
Space: open inventory
F: flashlight toggle
R: reload weapon
M/enter: map
A/S: gamma
Q/W: aspect ratio
E: expert mode
P: pause
1: ignite flare
2: place rotting meat
3: drink health tonic
Esc: quit

freibooter
06-08-2012, 01:54 AM
Looks like this is a flash/air game, so native controller support will probably never happen.

Thank you very much drstupidphd for that list, it's immensely helpful. :)
All I can give in return is the pile of rep my account appears to be handing out. :)

DEFme
06-15-2012, 11:12 PM
Put together an Xpadder profile setup for Lone Survivor. Makes the game way more enjoyable to play. If anyone is interested, lemme know and I will share.

Jimbei
06-18-2012, 05:09 AM
To use the profile, a program called Xpadder is needed. It's no longer Freeware, but you can still download Version 5.3, which is the last free one - just google it and you should find it pretty quick. ( ^^ )

I set up a profile for myself this night and played ~2 hours with it - it felt good and natural. I uploaded it and I hope it will be useful for someone: https://www.dropbox.com/s/n90pzv2fgqao9ry/Lone%20Survivor%20Xpadder-Profile.zip :)

The archive includes the follding:
- Controller-Profile for Xpadder (I use a wireless Xbox 360-Gamepad with a Receiver)
- Game-Profile of LoneSurvivor for Xpadder
- Two explanation pics
- One Controller-Pic

For anyone who wants to set it up himself, here are all the pics:
- Overview (http://img7.imagebanana.com/img/dks3lixg/XpadderProfileforLoneSurvivorXbox360.png)
- DeadZone-Setting on Sticks (http://img6.imagebanana.com/img/y4q1mi4r/XpadderProfileforLoneSurvivorXbox360.png) (very important)
- Controller-Pic (http://img7.imagebanana.com/img/rkoeusts/Xbox360Gamepad.png) (needs to be imported in Xpadder)

I'm still not quite sure what's better for the left stick setting: Standard 8-Way Mode or just the 4-Way Mode? I for myself played LoneSurvivor with the 4-Way Mode until now, but changed it to the 8-Way Mode in the uploaded profile to avoid risks.

Button Overview:
X / A/X - Interact/Shoot
C / Y - Weapon Mode Toggle
Left/Up/Right/Down / Left Stick - Walk/Inventory
Space / Start - Open Inventory

F / B - Flashlight Toggle
R / RB - Quick Weapon Reload
M/Enter / LB - Map

A/S - Gamma
Q/W - Aspect
E / Right Stick Button - Expert Mode
P / Back - Pause

1 / D-Pad Left - Ignite Flare
2 / D-Pad Up - Place Rotting Meat
3 / D-Pad Right - Drink Health Tonic

Misc.:
- Change the aspect ratio - for me it was way more pleasant with a smaller image.
- Set the gamma slightly higher, like +2-3 or so - it's a common problem for me that the default gamma setting on PC is too low.

seluropnek
06-18-2012, 06:29 PM
Hey, thanks Jimbei! Your layout is perfect and I appreciate you doing the tinkering so I didn't have to.

ríomhaire
07-12-2012, 01:56 AM
Looks like this is a flash/air game, so native controller support will probably never happen.

Thank you very much drstupidphd for that list, it's immensely helpful. :)
All I can give in return is the pile of rep my account appears to be handing out. :)
Flash games can have controller support

http://www.explodingrabbit.com/games/super-mario-bros-crossover

Arencey
07-27-2012, 01:54 PM
Thanks for all the replies, I was about to make a thread asking if this game supports a controller when I noticed this thread. The Default controls are horrible imo, especially if your keyboard has tiny arrow keys like mine.

Xpad it is then, can someone recommend a good controller to play this game with?

I'm thinking of getting an Xbox 360 controller for Windows, but I don't want something that will start messing up on me. How reliable are these controllers long term? Do they start screwing up within 12 months of purchase?

Jimbei
07-27-2012, 02:11 PM
@Arencey: Well, to be honest, I never had any better controller before or after I tried the Xbox 360 Gamepad. Seriously, it's awesome. And I'm pretty sure it's durability is one of the longest from all of the other gamepads out now, since it's from one of the big players in the console-market, Microsoft. The only bad thing: The D-Pad.

Most games these days have native support for the Xbox 360 Gamepad and show you the exact buttons, like X or A, not 1 or 2. As a Gamepad-only player I strongly recommend you to buy one of these. :)

Arencey
07-29-2012, 01:55 PM
@Arencey: Well, to be honest, I never had any better controller before or after I tried the Xbox 360 Gamepad. Seriously, it's awesome. And I'm pretty sure it's durability is one of the longest from all of the other gamepads out now, since it's from one of the big players in the console-market, Microsoft. The only bad thing: The D-Pad.

Most games these days have native support for the Xbox 360 Gamepad and show you the exact buttons, like X or A, not 1 or 2. As a Gamepad-only player I strongly recommend you to buy one of these. :)

Thank you sir, I ordered the Xbox 360 gamepad on amazon, it looks very nice can't wait for it to arrive :D

Enskyment
08-06-2012, 12:41 PM
@Arencey: I'm pretty sure it's durability is one of the longest from all of the other gamepads out nowShoot I've been using the same PS1 controller since 1997 and I have some even earlier ones that still work great too. (they lack analog sticks so I don't use them)

I imagine most controllers hold up apart from cheapo knockoffs. xD

yah, Lone Survivor unfortunately lacks gamepad support.. as well as some other things. but I just mapped all my keys with Joy2Key.

Literally had just enough buttons (excluding analog sticks) for all the main controls.. Game played great with it

Nillansan
08-23-2012, 12:33 PM
I set up a profile for myself this night and played ~2 hours with it - it felt good and natural.

Thank you so much for sharing this Jimbei!

Jimbei
08-23-2012, 12:40 PM
@Nillansan: I'm glad I could help you. :D