PDA

View Full Version : Partial no Japanese voice-overs in Dismal Swamp DLC

vault2049
04-24-2012, 07:40 PM
So I bought the Limited Edition on the 21th. The DLC was nowhere to be found or played until the previous first patch. So I wanted to test it. I got Japanese selected in my voice language options in-game. Selected the DLC from "Downloadable Content": The first cut-scene was in full Japanese but then, when the cut-scene ended, the characters started talking in English while I was controlling Michelle. I played a little more and yeah, only the cut-scenes are in Japanese everything else has English voice-overs.

Same thing happens with the notes audio on the actual game: there is no Japanese audio, just English. This isn't a game-breaking bug, but it's still a bug.

I'm guessing this is totally normal and not just a bug on my end?

Agret
04-24-2012, 07:41 PM
Probably some dialogue that was deemed unimportant was not translated. Are you able to get japenese subtitles?

vault2049
04-24-2012, 08:49 PM
Yep. Tried enabling Japanese on Steam for this game. The entire game has Japanese subtitles, even the notes are in Japanese (but voice-overs would play in English) and, yeah, when playing the DLC the Japanese subtitles would show normally, even when the characters are speaking in English (with Japanese voice-overs selected).

Agret
04-24-2012, 09:13 PM
Yea then I guess the dialog was deemed unimportant and they didn't spend the money to get Japanese voice over when you can just use the subtitles and get it in Japanese anyway.

vault2049
04-24-2012, 10:47 PM
Pal... This is actually a Japanese game. So... It should have been the other way around, in any case (Japanese translated to English) if they "deemed unimportant and didn't spend the money [...]". Unless PC version's target was only US players, which I don't really believe is the case. Also, I'm fine with English, it's just that I like the 'original' voice tracks.

The only way that I can see what you are saying happening is that Dismal Swamp was actually developed by another team, different from the one who originally developed the game. It makes sense since the DLC is a "PC-Exclusive extra content". That doesn't explain why they left the notes only in English though.

I'd like to know if the console versions of the game share this peculiarity.

encogen
04-24-2012, 10:49 PM
Pal... This is actually a Japanese game. So... It should have been the other way around, in any case (Japanese translated to English) if they "deemed unimportant and didn't spend the money [...]". Unless PC version's target was only US players, which I don't really believe is the case. Also, I'm fine with English, it's just that I like the 'original' voice tracks.

The only way that I can see what you are saying happening is that Dismal Swamp was actually developed by another team, different from the one who originally developed the game. It makes sense since the DLC is a "PC-Exclusive extra content". That doesn't explain why they left the notes only in English though.

Actually, it's a russian game. Konami only published the console versions.

/the more you know

{Yotsuba}
04-24-2012, 10:56 PM
Pal... This is actually a Japanese game.

Gaijin Entertainment are not a Japanese development studio. Further, if you look at the store page for the DLC, you will see it doesn't have full audio support for Japanese. Only English and Russian have full audio support in the DLC. Most likely because the DLC is only available on the PC.