PDA

View Full Version : Ys: Origin - do I need to play Ys1&2 First?

Kuraudo
04-24-2012, 10:22 PM
After Oath in Felghana, my introduction to Ys has me really excited for Xseed's next import, but I'm given to understand that it's a prequel.

If that is correct, do I need any primer in Ys in order to fully enjoy it? Oath in Felghana was really easy to get into even though I'm told it's the third game in the series - can I expect a similar easy-to-get-into experience with Origin?

Thanks guys! Can't wait!

Wyrdwad
04-24-2012, 10:35 PM
Yeah, you should have no problem. Since it is a prequel, it's technically the earliest point in the story, meaning there's absolutely NOTHING you need to know going into it.

The worst case scenario is that some very minor plot points from Ys I & II will be spoiled for you by playing Ys Origin first -- but as with most Ys titles, it works both ways: if you play Ys I & II before playing Ys Origin, it'll almost feel like those same plot points are spoiled for you in Ys Origin. In other words, whether you learn about, say, the Devil's Corridor in Ys Origin or Ys I & II, it's still just as cool -- and when you encounter that same area in the other game, you'll get that exact same sense of, "oh, hey, I remember this place!" ;)

-Tom

Kuraudo
04-25-2012, 01:18 AM
Thanks for the response and the reassurance!

Oh man, I can't wait! Can you give us any idea when Origin is going to be available for pre-order? I hope "soon"!

Oh! And any chance that Falcom will update YsI&II on pc again so you guys can localize those and bring those to steam as well?

Wyrdwad
04-25-2012, 01:24 AM
Oh, there are already three different Windows versions of Ys I & II to choose from should we ever decide to try our hand at releasing the games on Steam (Ys I & II Eternal, Ys I & II Complete and Ys I & II Chronicles, with Ys I & II Complete arguably the best since Ys I & II Chronicles is essentially just a back-port from the PSP). It may be just a matter of time before we go for it -- who's to say? ;)

As for Ys Origin, I'm not sure on timeframe just yet, but hopefully we won't keep you guys waiting toooo much longer. You'll have to stay tuned and find out!

-Tom

Cardia
05-03-2012, 06:56 AM
You XSEED guys are so incredible. I wanna replay Ys Origin on Steam ! With true widescreen maybe ? :cool:

Wyrdwad
05-04-2012, 10:47 PM
You XSEED guys are so incredible. I wanna replay Ys Origin on Steam ! With true widescreen maybe ? :cool:

But of course!

-Tom

Kyithios
05-19-2012, 07:36 AM
I can barely remember the Devil's Corridor in Ys 1 and 2, but I definitely remember it in Origin. Its been way too long.

KawaiiSara
05-19-2012, 01:02 PM
I actually have found Ys I & II more enjoyable after Origin. I guess if you played them first a long time ago it'd give a sense of nostalgia at times when you play Origin, but it feels like Origin gives extra meaning to the classics as well.

Kyithios
05-19-2012, 06:06 PM
I actually have found Ys I & II more enjoyable after Origin. I guess if you played them first a long time ago it'd give a sense of nostalgia at times when you play Origin, but it feels like Origin gives extra meaning to the classics as well.

It enhanced the story, for me.

KawaiiSara
05-20-2012, 02:39 AM
It enhanced the story, for me.

That's true too, of course. In the end, pretty much you can't go wrong either way, although I admit that, as Tom said, a couple of I & II's twists are spoiled by Origin. It's not a big deal though! There's really nothing major.

PixyJunket
05-22-2012, 06:48 AM
Oh, there are already three different Windows versions of Ys I & II to choose from should we ever decide to try our hand at releasing the games on Steam (Ys I & II Eternal, Ys I & II Complete and Ys I & II Chronicles, with Ys I & II Complete arguably the best since Ys I & II Chronicles is essentially just a back-port from the PSP).Ideally, you guys should aim to get Complete with the Chronicles soundtrack if that could be a possibility.

The new artwork is nice and I personally LOVE the PC-88 soundtrack option (loves me some bleeps and bloops), but if there was ONE thing that Complete NEEDS from Chronicles to be nearly perfect, it's that new music.

Motoki
05-22-2012, 10:34 AM
Oh, there are already three different Windows versions of Ys I & II to choose from should we ever decide to try our hand at releasing the games on Steam (Ys I & II Eternal, Ys I & II Complete and Ys I & II Chronicles, with Ys I & II Complete arguably the best since Ys I & II Chronicles is essentially just a back-port from the PSP). It may be just a matter of time before we go for it -- who's to say? ;)

-Tom

I don't suppose there is any way on god's green earth you'd be able to get the rights to use those old Turbografx voice overs? I think they did a really good job dubbing that Ys I&II to English on the Turbo and still remember those voices to this day.