PDA

View Full Version : Good, though painful lesson

DC0
04-27-2012, 07:30 AM
Today my Internet Service Provider have had a long downtime. I had no internet access.
I remember some time ago Steam had "go to offline mode" button. Actually, it still has. But when you press it these days, Steam says "Action requires internet access". So we can't launch any steam game without Internet access now.

So here I am. Purchased a DVD with a game. Activated it in Steam and I cannot play it without Internet access.

What it is? I'm a fool paying for games? I now see you are most certainly right, Sir.

Piracy? Yes, that a problem. For publishers. But for us law obedient users these pirate guys give back our liberty. They return our natural right to use product we have paid for when we find it appropriate. Not just when we have Internet access and publisher has his authorization servers up and running.

DoubleD
04-27-2012, 07:35 AM
Did you call your ISP and complain? Ask "why it was down so long?"

Piracy? Yes, that a problem. For publishers. But for us law obedient users these pirate guys give back our liberty. They return our natural right to use product we have paid for when we find it appropriate. Not just when we have Internet access and publisher has his authorization servers up and running.

Piracy is still wrong. Period.

Offline Mode
What is Steam's Offline Mode and how do I use it?

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3160-AGCB-2555

Pheace
04-27-2012, 07:35 AM
Do you save your login info at start?

It's flaky but it's not impossible to have offline mode without internet.

Burro Loco
04-27-2012, 07:43 AM
I never had any issues with the off line mode.
¿?

DoubleD
04-27-2012, 07:44 AM
¿?

Same for me. The few times I have lost connection for a short time I was still able to play.

Epsilon
04-27-2012, 07:50 AM
As far as can be determined, there's at least one bug in Steam that causes Offline Mode to fail under some circumstances.

It's very little if anything to do with piracy; the intention is that Offline Mode should work all the time, but it just doesn't. It's getting pretty bad and they ought to fix it.

Piracy is still wrong. Period. This is pretty unhelpful, if you ask me. ISP outages do happen due to hardware failures and the like. In those circumstances, people should be able to count on Steam working offline.

The piracy point is also relevant in that it's Gabe's oft-repeated stance that piracy is a service problem. The shortcomings of offline mode in Steam is a service problem.

JudgementBullet
04-27-2012, 07:50 AM
Steam's offline mode is hit or miss. Not stable at all.

seseorang
04-27-2012, 07:51 AM
You'd need to go online and tell it to go offline. This way seems to be guaranteed. But to install/download any new games you WILL need to be connected and in online mode.

Offline mode seems to be for when you know you're not going to have internet access. Unfortunately, we can't always know when there is a problem out of our control

keffertjuh
04-27-2012, 07:51 AM
I recently read you need to have automatic logging in turned on...

This might be the case, as I used to have it on, no problem playing without internet, and nowadays I always have it off, and I need to connect first...

DoubleD
04-27-2012, 07:55 AM
I recently read you need to have automatic logging in turned on...

This might be the case, as I used to have it on, no problem playing without internet, and nowadays I always have it off, and I need to connect first...

Yes you need to already be logged in in the first place. I have always had my info saved. I have no need to "Logout" or "Exit" steam. Maybe that is why I never has any issues.

This is pretty unhelpful, if you ask me. ISP outages do happen due to hardware failures and the like. In those circumstances, people should be able to count on Steam working offline.

OP said HSIA was doen for a "Long" time. Most outages I have had last maybe an hour. If OP was down for days you bet I myself would have called for an ETA and a "what is going on" questions. Unless "Long" time means a few hours? ;)

Rahab_mx
04-27-2012, 08:14 AM
Offline mode works functionality needs to be revisited by valve, there are several workarounds like unplug the Ethernet cable and/or switching your Wi-Fi off before trying to log in offline mode but if nothing works you can just tether your smartphone to your PC and use it to log in (or switch to offline mode)

Lithos
04-27-2012, 08:21 AM
Steam offline mode doesn't work. Period.

seseorang
04-27-2012, 08:32 AM

If you just quit, disconnect the cable and try to log in. Most of the time it will fail.

If you are logged on and tell Steam to "Go Offline" it should work. I tried this recently as a friend let me borrow their dongle so I could play games while I had no internet. It worked flawlessly and I even tested it with my router switched off.

Rusty Silver
04-27-2012, 08:36 AM
¿?
I have heard of it basically you have to plan to be in offline mode random internet crash can cause complications if you are not prepared. I personally want a offline mode that allows me service if I wake up in the morning (computer is shut down every night) and my internet is gone down. Gabe is always talking about platforms that are accessible to the customer this one needs work.

crunchyfrog555
04-27-2012, 08:37 AM

Really? Because it does for some.

Naturally, it is flawed, but it clearly isn't as bad as you're painting it out to be. Please have the courtesy to provide correct information to people, and not nonsense like this.

HellAvenger
04-27-2012, 08:42 AM
thats why i want to buy new games from GOG. but too bad they dont offer them all

Bobafett2k6
04-27-2012, 08:44 AM
and not nonsense like this.

Speaking of nonsense, we all know that there are problems with the offline mode yet a mod replies with:

That's about as helpful as a stuffed hedgehog.

The problem isn't the ISP, yes I know the internet failure is the source, but Steam should be equipped to deal with this EVERY time.

And yes, piracy is an issue since this is another case of DRM hurting legitimate customers. This guy didn't have access to any of his games, guess who did? Someone who pirates games, that's who.

Friendliest
04-27-2012, 08:47 AM

even if it did, I am afraid to use it and risk overwriting my important local data with a botched steam cloud excursion. the steam cloud and offline mode error messages are in no way simple.

they need to be made like .... Apple simple. like "no person who can read english could possibly misinterpret this" simple. like ... not written by software engineers.

(and cuz it seems to be all the trend..)

"Period."

as in "100% polarized worldviews are generally wrong. Period."

crunchyfrog555
04-27-2012, 08:58 AM
Speaking of nonsense, we all know that there are problems with the offline mode yet a mod replies with:

That's about as helpful as a stuffed hedgehog.

The problem isn't the ISP, yes I know the internet failure is the source, but Steam should be equipped to deal with this EVERY time.

And yes, piracy is an issue since this is another case of DRM hurting legitimate customers. This guy didn't have access to any of his games, guess who did? Someone who pirates games, that's who.

Well, that's fair comment too, I suppose.

¥Devero¥
04-27-2012, 09:00 AM

Piracy is still wrong. Period.

Offline Mode
What is Steam's Offline Mode and how do I use it?

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3160-AGCB-2555

Hehe, I think the problem is that nobody reads in advance about the offline mode and then in his case how is supposed to read about it after the fact... Reminds me of an ISP joke... *isp-operator* "how can I help you"
*frusted user* "My internet is not working"
*isp-operator* "Okay sir i need you to hang up, reboot your computer, and send an email into help center..click"
:mad::mad::mad:

haha

crunchyfrog555
04-27-2012, 09:08 AM
Hehe, I think the problem is that nobody reads in advance about the offline mode and then in his case how is supposed to read about it after the fact... Reminds me of an ISP joke... *isp-operator* "how can I help you"
*frusted user* "My internet is not working"
*isp-operator* "Okay sir i need you to hang up, reboot your computer, and send an email into help center..click"
:mad::mad::mad:

haha

Poignant point.

Rather OT, but that reminds me of another joke.

A mechanic, electrician, and IT support chap are off for a night out together. Whilst driving along the car stutters and coughs and finally dies. They all get out, pop the bonnet, and the electrician pipes up "I think it's an electrical issue, let me check over the battery terminals and connections, and we'll try to fire her up". After a bit of tinkering, they get back in and try to start the car. No joy.

Out they get, and the mechanic steps up. "I think it's obvious that it's a mechanical issue", so immediately fiddles around under the bonnet, checking things over, and after some time, says they should all get back in and try the car; still no joy.

The IT support guy laughs "You guys are doing this all wrong - what you need to do is get out the car, and get back in".

.. badum-tsh.

Indecency
04-27-2012, 09:09 AM
One time I installed a bunch of Steam games on my laptop for an 8hour drive. I opened my laptop an hour in the drive and got an error when trying to log in to Steam in offline mode without internet. Needless to say it ruined the drive.

Egomaster
04-27-2012, 09:19 AM
Steam offline mode sometimes works sometimes not.
Any seasoned steam user experienced that. The sad part is that offline mode doesn't work when you really need it. It happened to me last week: my internet crashed; I forgot I had steam open so I shut off computer without clicking on "exit" on the tray icon before.
When pc rebooted, there were no way to start the offline mode, since steam was not closed correctly.

rmartinezdl
04-27-2012, 09:26 AM
The problem here is that most of us MISSUNDERSTOOD THE STEAM OFFLINE PURPOSE, Steam offline is made so IF YOUR CONNECTION GOES DOWN WHILE BEING ONLINE YOU CAN SWTICH TO OFFLINE MODE EASILY

IT IS NOT MADE/MEANT TO WORK IF YOU HAVE NO INTERNET AT ALL AND DECIDE TO START STEAM (already being without internet).

So Steam offline works only if u have internet :D awesome isnt it? I think its dumb, but its the steam way to prevent piracy, wich I dont know how could it happen since u already bought any game on your steam library but ugh.

And the config file I posted before no longer works so, well if u have no internet you cannot play, steam is DRM in certain way.

MADDOGGE
04-27-2012, 09:45 AM
Steam offline mode doesn't work. Period.Now that's an out and out lie. What you mean is it doesn't work for you. It works fine for me and many others who don't even realize the net is down until after the fact or someone tells us it is down. We just keep right on playing.

Offline has some issues for sure, but if you are set to auto login and never exit steam unless asked to restart there is no problem getting into offline automatically.

Those of you that insist on logging out and exiting Steam for whatever reasons so you are not up to date are the ones having issues. Steam really isn't meant to be turned off except to restart after a client update or game install rarely. If you aren't going to use the product the way it's meant to be used, then you are going to have problems as it is currently configued.

rmartinezdl
04-27-2012, 10:13 AM
Offline has some issues for sure, but if you are set to auto login and never exit steam unless asked to restart there is no problem getting into offline automatically.

The problem is that if you havent started steam you cant play ur games unless u have internet.

alexUW
04-27-2012, 10:25 AM
Steam's offline mode is hit or miss. Not stable at all.

^^This has been my experience as well; although recently [past yr] Offline mode has been working like it's supposed to.

MADDOGGE
04-27-2012, 10:53 AM
The problem is that if you havent started steam you cant play ur games unless u have internet.LOL, no the problem is for whatever reasons you insist on turning Steam off. Steam doesn't like being turned off, unless it tells you to restart. It will get even with you.

Unfortunately Steam is all about high speed, excellent connections, with very high or no caps at all.

Sly_Squash
04-27-2012, 10:54 AM
Do I really need to post this again? OK.

See this (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=29406104&postcount=27) for an explanation of why offline mode is so finicky and how to fix it.

There are two ways to do so.

The first way, the author claims, is to simply shut down steam manually instead of letting the windows powerdown procedure take care of it.

If you really love your offline mode, he claims you should keep a backup of you winui.gcf from when steam is offline handy. That way, if steam does get into that crazy state where you have to be online to get into offline mode, restoring the "offline" winui.gcf file should get you back and running.

Do this and I don't see the fuss.

Sly_Squash
04-27-2012, 12:14 PM
Or you can backup your winui.gcf and not have to meddle with such things again...

Rusty Silver
04-27-2012, 12:32 PM
Or you can backup your winui.gcf and not have to meddle with such things again...Or valve can improve upon a flawed system.

Bobafett2k6
04-27-2012, 01:07 PM
Or valve can improve upon a flawed system.

Agreed.

They know about it, god knows they do. There are threads about this all of the time, it's as if they refuse to fix it because they enjoy pissing people off.

To be fair I don't know how easy/hard it would be to fix, but such a big issue should be worth the effort.

Sly_Squash
04-27-2012, 02:27 PM
Or valve can improve upon a flawed system.

Of course, that would be ideal, but the point is that a workaround does exist, so there is no justification for resorting to piracy to get around the problem during the rather-rare situations where internet outages for which you can't be prepared occur for extended periods.

Bobafett2k6
04-27-2012, 02:37 PM
so there is no justification for resorting to piracy to get around the problem during the rather-rare situations where internet outages for which you can't be prepared occur for extended periods.

While I agree and don't condone piracy in any way, things like this just give people more motivation to say "♥♥♥♥ you" to publishers/developers that incorporate DRM (including Steam) and just pirate their games, as then they will be unaffected by DRM.

Your games should be able to launch without the Steam client in my opinion (or fix offline mode), I've said it before and I'll say it again, DRM only hurts legitimate buyers like you and I.

PieceOfMind
04-27-2012, 03:34 PM
Sorry if this was posted already.

Forcing Steam's Offline Mode (http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:WHNSJxzXSaEJ:forums.steampowered.co m/forums/showthread.php%3Ft%3D2574145+&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au&client=firefox-a)

Rusty Silver
04-27-2012, 05:23 PM
Of course, that would be ideal, but the point is that a workaround does exist, so there is no justification for resorting to piracy to get around the problem during the rather-rare situations where internet outages for which you can't be prepared occur for extended periods.I never advocated for piracy nor would I involve myself in it, and I hear that point but I am still advocating for VALVe stepping up and caring for its customers a little more in this area.

TheSagetEffect
04-27-2012, 08:47 PM
Steam offline is handy but has always been buggy. It's really hit or miss as to whether you can play.

Many games on Steam have pretty decent protection methods. A simple, one-time internet access method is very fair. Otherwise people could just trade around DVDs without connecting to the internet to mark off the code.

djiezes
04-28-2012, 07:48 AM
I really wish to see this issue resolved.

It happened to me a while ago: lost internet connection and steam did not want to start. It said "to start steam in offline mode, you need to connect to the internet" or something alike. Which is quite blatantly obvious bull♥♥♥♥.

I've read this does not happen every single time. But not being able to play over a hundred games I legally bought on steam due to temporary losing internet connection is unacceptable to me. Especially since the non-legally obtained versions of these games would've worked flawlessly without internet.

I don't understand why people keep saying this is not an issue. And I don't understand why steam does not fix this: the issue is well known.

DoubleD
04-28-2012, 08:01 AM
Hehe, I think the problem is that nobody reads in advance about the offline mode and then in his case how is supposed to read about it after the fact...

True. People don't understand you have to already be login to your Steam account (And Not Logout) for offline to work. The few times I have had my HSI down Steam still launched and I was able to play. Of course not MP games.

I have Steam set to save my info so no issue. I have only had my HSI go down a few times over the years for a breif time so I don't know if I have just been lucky and it is hit or miss sometimes?

Jack Pipsam
04-28-2012, 08:21 AM
Offline mode doesn't work for me.

But I will not scope low enough to become a pirate.
I still have my older games (or GoG games) without DRM and they work fine.
If on the rare time my internet drops out, I have Morrowind or S.T.A.L.K.E.R to play.

klaount
04-28-2012, 08:22 AM

It does. Needing the option for automatic login enabled in order for the offline mode to work makes perfect sense if you think of it. They could make it easier (by removing the local storing of credentials) but then the overall security would take a massive hit and the trade-off just isn't worthy.

Epsilon
04-28-2012, 08:33 AM
True. People don't understand you have to already be login to your Steam account (And Not Logout) for offline to work. The few times I have had my HSI down Steam still launched and I was able to play. Of course not MP games.

I have Steam set to save my info so no issue. I have only had my HSI go down a few times over the years for a breif time so I don't know if I have just been lucky and it is hit or miss sometimes?
You're conflating two different things.

Here's what comes up if you logout of Steam and then try and go into Offline Mode: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/107878/offline_loggedout.PNG

It's pretty obvious what has happened: offline mode has been disabled because you logged out.

Here's what you get if Offline Mode stops working because of the bug: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/107878/steam_offline.PNG

They're different things. Saying the people complaining are doing so because they don't understand offline mode is untrue.

-$P0P3$-
04-28-2012, 08:42 AM
Best way I found to get into offline mode is to hook up your phone to the computer, and use its connection to the internet to start up Steam, then switch it to offline mode and disconnect your phone so you don't end up downloading 10 gigabytes of updates with your phone's data plan.