PDA

View Full Version : Any reason to pick up Trinity before Rebellion?

Alderian
04-28-2012, 09:10 AM
So is there any reason to get Trinity or should I just get Rebellion? Is there any difference in SP between the two? (Well, apart from Rebellion being still in beta.)

Ryatboss
04-28-2012, 09:37 AM
Aside from getting your Sins fix early? Well you can use the individual .exes (Original, Entrenchment, Diplomacy) to get used to Sins before throwing everything into the pot. Unless you like to jump right in the middle and learn everything fast.
After that, no.

Alderian
04-28-2012, 09:43 AM
All right, guess I'll wait for Rebellion to come out of beta. Thank you.

Ryatboss
04-28-2012, 09:51 PM
Or you could join the beta?
Just saying.

Alderian
04-28-2012, 11:20 PM
So how stable is it currently? Does every new patch break your previous saves, for example?

I know that this is a good game, I typically just skip the betas 'cause I don't like playing good games that are incomplete.

Whippersnapper
04-29-2012, 08:08 AM
If you're planning to purchase Rebellion when it's released, you might as well just buy it now and play in the Beta. If you don't own any previous Sins games, I can't think of a good reason to purchase Trinity unless you have an interest in online multiplayer ("the real Sins game"). There are still a good number of people playing on the Diplomacy expansion, but realistically, it's probably not worth purchasing Trinity at this point since lots of people are playing the Rebellion Beta online.

Ryatboss
04-29-2012, 09:22 AM
So how stable is it currently? Does every new patch break your previous saves, for example?

It is quite stable though yes every patch has a tendency to break saves. But I understand where you are coming from. Hope to see you on the forums in June.

YahooElite
04-30-2012, 08:14 PM
Id have to say wait until it goes on sale..

All in all its just like the previous games with a few minor difference.

Granted its a Beta but they really cant change much..

Get Trinity, see if you like it then go from there.

GoldenShadow
05-09-2012, 11:15 AM
Rebellion is much more fun and less stale than the previous entries.

Fuzion88
05-11-2012, 01:15 AM
Does rebellion require a stardock/impulse account for MP? Or does it fully integrate/use steam.

Ryatboss
05-11-2012, 06:38 AM
Fully into Steam.

Fuzion88
05-12-2012, 08:14 AM
Fully into Steam.

Awesome, thanks for the reply.

Farquezy
05-13-2012, 05:56 AM
There are a lot of reasons to get Trinity over Rebellion and mostly its due to the low price + mods.
Rebellion doesnt change much.
Might as well get Trinity and have tons of great mods, the star trek and stargate mods are great if you are a fan of the series

Craig234
05-20-2012, 11:16 AM
You can get trinity today for $10, or Rebellion that includes it for $40...

Gone19
05-20-2012, 11:35 AM
You get Trinity if you buy Rebellion?

Lexinator
05-20-2012, 12:29 PM
You get Trinity if you buy Rebellion?

Yes you do.

Whippersnapper
05-20-2012, 12:53 PM
As far as I know, you DO NOT GET Trinity when you purchase Rebellion. Rebellion includes all of the content of Trinity, but you cannot load up the early versions of the game separately if you want to, such as the original Sins, Entrenchment, or Diplomacy.

So if you have a friend who doesn't have Rebellion but has Diplomacy, you won't be able to play with him if you only have Rebellion.

Craig234
05-20-2012, 01:08 PM
As far as I know, you DO NOT GET Trinity when you purchase Rebellion. Rebellion includes all of the content of Trinity, but you cannot load up the early versions of the game separately if you want to, such as the original Sins, Entrenchment, or Diplomacy.

So if you have a friend who doesn't have Rebellion but has Diplomacy, you won't be able to play with him if you only have Rebellion.

What a mess, so we're supposed to buy Trinity and Rebellion?

Ryatboss
05-20-2012, 01:31 PM

No, you can buy Rebellion (for $40) and get everything.

Buckethead_Inc
05-20-2012, 04:25 PM

If you only own Trinity, then yes, you would need to buy Rebellion it seems. Which would make the answer to the OP's question, "No, there is no reason to pick up Trinity before Rebellion, unless you can get it on a $10 deal like today's daily".

I'm still on the fence about buying Trinity, but it's cool that the sale lets you basically try out the original and then get the new one for the same price as buying the new one solo. Nice way to introduce new people to the series.

Craig234
05-20-2012, 06:59 PM
No, you can buy Rebellion (for $40) and get everything.

The post above says that if you buy Rebellion you can't play MP with people who have trinity.

Ryatboss
05-20-2012, 08:27 PM
The post above says that if you buy Rebellion you can't play MP with people who have trinity.

That is very true. So either convince those that have just trinity to upgrade or buy trinity as well.

Friendliest
05-21-2012, 07:28 AM
What a mess

^^ the dictionary definition of "stand-alone expansion pack", esp. for games which have already had 1 or more expansions. :rolleyes:

oh well, even though I think these guys are acting in relatively bad faith by trying to "offload" this title before the harderfasterstronger one comes out in < a month, I have always been intrigued by this game and will probably buy rebellion one day.

c u then?

crosswire
07-04-2012, 03:22 AM
I don't fancy going trough all those updates, bugs and crashes that come with a new game. So I opted for Trinity in the hope that it's finished, complete and bug free.

Ryatboss
07-04-2012, 05:45 AM
bug free.
Bug free no. But then again no game is ever truly bug free. Heck a bug that has been plaguing the game since the beginning has just now been corrected for Rebellion. Flip side is most of the bugs are gone yes vs Rebellion.

Radar Contact
07-16-2012, 07:48 PM
Even after reading this thread I can't decide which to get given the price difference. Also it would be nice to play all mods that have been finished over the years.

I used to think stand alone expansions were a good idea but now I'm not so sure. I'd rather just have it all in one "gold edition".

DaD3VIL
07-17-2012, 02:56 AM
I kindly urge the OP to say "[a]ny reason to purchase" over "[a]ny reason to pick up". Firstly because it is not a physical item so you won't pick up anything. Secondly because it implies a freedom that isn't there as money needs to be paid in order for it to be "picked up".

In answer to the question a good reason to purchase Trinity over Rebellion is when it is discounted like in this very steam sale.

Ryatboss
07-17-2012, 06:42 AM
Even after reading this thread I can't decide which to get given the price difference. Also it would be nice to play all mods that have been finished over the years.

I used to think stand alone expansions were a good idea but now I'm not so sure. I'd rather just have it all in one "gold edition".

Rebellion is an all in one gold edition.

at8mistakes
07-18-2012, 11:01 AM
Rebellion is NOT leagues better than Trinity, which is only $5. If you're new to the series and don't want to drop $30, buy Trinity and enjoy 90%-95% of content that is $25 more for Rebellion.

If you LOVE it and want to buy it for the few extra features, you can buy it for $30 from Stardock anytime you want (if you own Trinity) and it activates on Steam.

Omega4
07-18-2012, 11:55 AM
I'm still on the fence about buying Trinity, but it's cool that the sale lets you basically try out the original and then get the new one for the same price as buying the new one solo. Nice way to introduce new people to the series.

Or you could save your money and check out Trinity gameplay on YouTube and see for yourself if this game is your cup of tea or not.

AvuriDash
07-18-2012, 11:59 AM
I kindly urge the OP to say "[a]ny reason to purchase" over "[a]ny reason to pick up". Firstly because it is not a physical item so you won't pick up anything. Secondly because it implies a freedom that isn't there as money needs to be paid in order for it to be "picked up".
It is a valid and well-understood idiom for seeking ownership of a product. But do go ahead and keep trying to push textbook language on people. Society will continue to create its own words and phrases to better communicate ideas amongst its populace, not through the rules of self-proclaimed scholars. :)

Anyway, how is the multiplayer scene for Trinity now? Did everyone go over to Rebellion or is it still fairly easy to find games?

Omega4
07-18-2012, 12:29 PM
Would it be a mistake on my part to buy both Trinity AND Rebellion?

Trinity for use with the Star Trek mod (Sacrifice of Angels 2).
Rebellion to have the Titans, ships, effects, patches, and other things that Trinity doesn't have.

DaD3VIL
07-18-2012, 02:41 PM
It is a valid and well-understood idiom for seeking ownership of a product. But do go ahead and keep trying to push textbook language on people. Society will continue to create its own words and phrases to better communicate ideas amongst its populace, not through the rules of self-proclaimed scholars. :)
I accept that it is a well established idiom - I do not have a rock for a dwelling! I was trying to demonstrate the shortfalls of said idiom. I am all for flexible language, just that it makes sense is all I ask! "Pick up" does not "communicate ideas" as well as "buy" I believe.

iNouda
07-18-2012, 03:27 PM
I've got both sets, Trinity and Rebellion and I gotta say that Rebellion is worth the upgrade or stand alone purchase. Using Entrenchment leads to a massive deadlock between you and the AI (or other human players) most of the time that requires huge fleets or some suave diplomacy to break through. It is nearly impossible to break through a fortified system with Starbases, mines and a fleet waiting in the "other" system waiting to jump in behind your back. The AIs have an uncanny ability to gang up on you. I've spent hours trying to juggle my fleets in order to break through deadlocked systems, with Starbases on jump points surrounded by mines and an average sized fleet with massive bomber/fighters (not to mention the fact that flak frigates are beyond stupid and are pretty useless so the only effective counter is your own fighters). I had to have close to 300 units just to attack and defend at the same time because when I jumped most of my armada, the other AI fleet comes in from behind and hits my relatively weakened systems.

It took me hours to slash and riposte with Entrenchment against multiple AI just to break through their core defense. With Rebellion, the Titans can soak up so much punishment and dish even more. It's so satisfying to see all that overwhelming power. A level 10 Titan is pretty much an end gamer. Once you've got one, it's all over for the most part (bomber swarms don't work as well with native anti-fighter guns on the Titans).

Oh, and the fact the Rebellion is essentially a combined Trinity (you can run all 3 expansions at once) with massive upgrades in the research/technology trees with better diplomacy, and ships, makes it worth getting it.

Omega4
07-18-2012, 03:45 PM
I've got both sets, Trinity and Rebellion and I gotta say that Rebellion is worth the upgrade or stand alone purchase. Using Entrenchment leads to a massive deadlock between you and the AI (or other human players) most of the time that requires huge fleets or some suave diplomacy to break through. It is nearly impossible to break through a fortified system with Starbases, mines and a fleet waiting in the "other" system waiting to jump in behind your back. The AIs have an uncanny ability to gang up on you. I've spent hours trying to juggle my fleets in order to break through deadlocked systems, with Starbases on jump points surrounded by mines and an average sized fleet with massive bomber/fighters (not to mention the fact that flak frigates are beyond stupid and are pretty useless so the only effective counter is your own fighters). I had to have close to 300 units just to attack and defend at the same time because when I jumped most of my armada, the other AI fleet comes in from behind and hits my relatively weakened systems.

It took me hours to slash and riposte with Entrenchment against multiple AI just to break through their core defense. With Rebellion, the Titans can soak up so much punishment and dish even more. It's so satisfying to see all that overwhelming power. A level 10 Titan is pretty much an end gamer. Once you've got one, it's all over for the most part (bomber swarms don't work as well with native anti-fighter guns on the Titans).

Oh, and the fact the Rebellion is essentially a combined Trinity (you can run all 3 expansions at once) with massive upgrades in the research/technology trees with better diplomacy, and ships, makes it worth getting it.

Great informative post.

To be honest, I like how you've described the stalemates that can arise in Trinity. As a skirmish single player, I like knowing that conflicts between empires can go on indefinitely. It gives a sense of continuity to the universe.

But I can see how Rebellian and the Titans game enders are preferable from a multiplayer perspective with other people. But from a skirmish single player perspective, I would be a little disheartened to see a Titan (mine or theirs) and ruin the stalemate and bring victory to one side or the other.

As someone who has just played the Star Trek Sacrifice of Angels mod for Sins for the very first time, I am looking forward to pitting the Federation against other galactic powers in an indefinitely long struggle for supremacy (thank god for Save Games).

AvuriDash
07-19-2012, 05:49 AM
I accept that it is a well established idiom - I do not have a rock for a dwelling! I was trying to demonstrate the shortfalls of said idiom. I am all for flexible language, just that it makes sense is all I ask! "Pick up" does not "communicate ideas" as well as "buy" I believe.

I disagree. Language is not simply about definitions and etymology. Literation is a very important factor to consider; how the words actually sound. 'Pick up' sounds perky and is quick to say, which resonates with how casual the act of purchasing a game from the Steam sale is. While the literal freedom of 'picking up' a game might not exist, the ease in which you can acquire digital products is just as liberating.

'Purchase' on the other hand, sounds drawn out and involves more mouth movement to say. As such, it tends to imply a far more involved task than simply clicking a couple buttons to checkout.

While subtle, literation is quite influential over the evolving English language. Just try analyzing some words or phrases with this in mind; you'd be surprised how poetically the sounds can fit their usage!

Whippersnapper
07-19-2012, 10:23 AM
Rebellion is NOT leagues better than Trinity, which is only $5. If you're new to the series and don't want to drop $30, buy Trinity and enjoy 90%-95% of content that is $25 more for Rebellion.

If you LOVE it and want to buy it for the few extra features, you can buy it for $30 from Stardock anytime you want (if you own Trinity) and it activates on Steam.

I agree with that. Someone who's only interest is single player against AI would be fine just getting Trinity and exploring the mods.

The real reason for purchasing Rebellion is to be able to play it in online multiplayer.