PDA

View Full Version : pretty fun game so far...

FstyMcBeefpunch
04-30-2012, 05:13 PM
bought it on a whim, and I'm liking it. It didn't want to run at first, but verifying the game cache fixed that. It's an interesting take on tower defense, and although I never played it on Xbox, it seems like a good port. Seems worth paying full price for.

StoneCold
04-30-2012, 05:18 PM
Really good game. Pity about them not being able to implement MP support because of "technical difficulties" but still, good fun none the less and well worth the price :)

Pococurante
04-30-2012, 06:45 PM
Great game, easily worth twice the price.
Only problem is the lack of resolution options, which the developers have promised to fix.

Phobian666
04-30-2012, 06:50 PM
Question, I brought the game.
I have verified the Cache
I go to start it goes to black loading screen and then just seems to Exit, i have adjusted my screen resolution to see if it helps and it Does not, I am Quite Confused and Fusterated :confused:
Any help would be greatly Appreciated .

Thanks Phobian666

Foojo
05-01-2012, 01:08 AM
I like it and it's quite fun. I have finished about 6 maps on normal difficulty. I started over a few times because I was going for perfect with no damage to my Toy Box, which is what you have to protect.

It's a tower defense game where you can take control over the various turrets, fly a bomber plane, fly a fighter plane which also has 5 bombs that do not regen that I can tell, or take over a sniper tower. There 5 different tower types with the ability to put down barb wire obstacles which slow the enemy down. There are several difficulty modes (Easy, Normal, Hard, Elite).

There appears to be 3 campaigns. The main campaign looks like it has 10 maps, but not really sure, and no idea how many are on the other two campaigns, or if they truly are campaigns.

The game uses Games For Windows Live. So if your game is not working, you might want to check out of GfW is working right. The first time I ran it, I was told I needed to download a patch, or it would exit.

iZach
05-01-2012, 01:09 AM
I've really enjoyed playing Toy Soldiers. I dare say it's my favorite tower defense game that I've ever played. I love being able to control my units and the era/toy soldiers give it some nice flavor. You don't see many games based on/around WW1. Here's to hoping they bring Toy Soldiers: Cold War to PC, more specifically Steam, eventually.Question, I brought the game.
I have verified the Cache
I go to start it goes to black loading screen and then just seems to Exit, i have adjusted my screen resolution to see if it helps and it Does not, I am Quite Confused and Fusterated :confused:
Any help would be greatly Appreciated .

Thanks Phobian666Is it a CTD?
A lot of people seem to be having that issue. I had it too. The solution is to press alt+tab when the game first comes up, while in the game. Then simply go back in the game and it should hopefully work.

JP_MAN
05-01-2012, 02:05 AM
Simple fun and low price. I like this.
...But too simple as 2012 products.

I want to release "Toy soldiers cold war" too.
I can easily recommend to friend if it released.
Because it has more catchy humor and visuals.
(You can control red bandanna lonely wolf commando!:cool:)

PurSpyk!!
05-01-2012, 02:16 AM
I keep on asking but no one has answered yet, due to the lack of keymapping options,and being left handed (which makes the default keys difficult to use), does the game work with the xbox controller?

JP_MAN
05-01-2012, 02:32 AM
Yes you can use 360 controller in this game.
And key help icons change to 360 style.

I recommend you swap L-R stick controls when mount cannons.
(I don't know why left stick assigned to aiming on default setting...).

I keep on asking but no one has answered yet, due to the lack of keymapping options,and being left handed (which makes the default keys difficult to use), does the game work with the xbox controller?

PurSpyk!!
05-01-2012, 02:36 AM
Yes you can use 360 controller in this game.
And key help icons change to 360 style.

I recommend you swap L-R stick controls when mount cannons.
(I don't know why left stick assigned to aiming on default setting...).

Ok, thanks, so the xbox keys can be changed?

JP_MAN
05-01-2012, 02:42 AM
No. You can change only analog stick options.
(swap or invert and sensitive)

HerbFerg
05-01-2012, 06:04 AM
Like the OP I also bought it on a whim. I just liked the look of it and having played with actual toy soldiers when I was a child the game just sort of piqued my interest.

The lack of 1920x1080 resolution support is the only negative I can come up with. I am thoroughly enjoying it so far. The graphics are good, despite the lack of resolution choices, and the artwork in game of the boxes of toy soldiers and in general is excellent.

The period music lends the experience a melancholic tone. Fitting for a game dealing with "the war to end all wars". Even one where the soldiers are resolutely of the "toy" variety.

It is tempting to think that the devs are perhaps making a more profound statement on warfare and the nature of sending men to their deaths. They are all "toy soldiers". Obeying orders from superiors who think of them as such.

Maybe I am reading too much into it. Either way an excellent game and for just 3.74. A bargain at this price.