PDA

View Full Version : CPU load and it's effect on SSD read/write

Cardboard093
05-03-2012, 03:59 PM
If I got some program running in the background that consumes 20-30% of more of my CPU, my SSD performance will suffer drastically, read/write speeds go below 90mb/s mark. If I got 0% CPU load, it will run at 200mb/s read/write. Is this normal? I have no ideas how SSDs work, just got one today. Note that it's not only in benchmarks this is prevalent. Applications will stutter badly as well, like Firefox and video playback.

Screenshot of SSD performance with Prime95 in the background (50% CPU load) and with nothing in the background (0% CPU load):
http://content.screencast.com/users/PeterOhlson/folders/Default/media/aa0ecf45-c705-492a-8113-a684bd5c5bc7/Uten%20navn.JPG

zoinks99
05-03-2012, 04:31 PM
You're running XP so it's not TRIM cleanup activity... I'm guessing it's something with the SSD driver. If you're using the manufacturer's driver, try switching to the Microsoft driver or vice versa. Also check for updated firmware.

Cardboard093
05-03-2012, 04:35 PM
Intel has TRIM support for XP via their Toolbox that you can download. I ran it once about 2 hours ago but nothing changed. Firmware is also up to date. I'll look into the stuff you mention about drivers though

sfade
05-03-2012, 04:38 PM
I'm going to go with a likely driver issue also, especially because it's the ancient XP OS. Whatever the problem, it isn't normal at all, none of my SSD's have ever flinched even when every core on the CPU is maxed out.

We also need more information about your machine, your post is about as vague as you can get. What motherboard, what SSD model, etc would be most helpful.

Cardboard093
05-03-2012, 04:53 PM
I'm going to go with a likely driver issue also, especially because it's the ancient XP OS. Whatever the problem, it isn't normal at all, none of my SSD's have ever flinched even when every core on the CPU is maxed out.

We also need more information about your machine, your post is about as vague as you can get. What motherboard, what SSD model, etc would be most helpful.

Sure, specs are as follows:

Processor: Intel Quadcore QX9300 @ 2.53Ghz
RAM: 4GB RAM
SSD is an Intel 520 240GB

As for the motherboard, it's a laptop, so some kind of proprietary stuff.

Bad_Motha
05-04-2012, 03:48 AM
Try going to Intel's support site and click "Check System for Latest Updates" (http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect)

See if it finds anything that needs updating, then afterward see if you gain any performance.

U may need to temp disable any active Intel based apps though, or the driver updates might not finish 100%.

TBO, it's just a mistake trying to use an SSD on an OS older than Vista. No way will you get full performance under XP OS. Not to mention your laptop's SATA is most likely only SATA 1.5gb or 3.0gb, which will reduce overall SSD performance anyways since your SSD is made for SATA 6.0gb. Of course they are backward compatible, but that means you're limited to the speed of your SATA controller.

northreign
05-04-2012, 09:04 PM
TBO, it's just a mistake trying to use an SSD on an OS older than Vista.

This^^^ So true.

But, I wouldn't even with Vista. Win7 and SSDs are the best and really only way to go.

Just because it can be done, doesn't mean it should be done.

HL2-4-Life
05-04-2012, 09:10 PM
This^^^ So true.

But, I wouldn't even with Vista. Win7 and SSDs are the best and really only way to go.

Just because it can be done, doesn't mean it should be done.I would, Vista has gotten a pretty bad rep (much like AMD's BD CPU's) but most of it is exaggerated. I was gaming with a 64bit Vista HP setup before moving on to 64bit Win7, I had had no major issue with it....and this was with a couple of CFX systems. No driver issue, peripheral devices could be run easily enough.....nothing bad really. Heck, even now, I have a laptop with Vista installed, and though I don't game on it, it does whatever I need it to do with ease....main purpose's to play BR movies, and it does this impeccably.

masta121
05-04-2012, 11:47 PM
I would, Vista has gotten a pretty bad rep (much like AMD's BD CPU's) but most of it is exaggerated. I was gaming with a 64bit Vista HP setup before moving on to 64bit Win7, I had had no major issue with it....and this was with a couple of CFX systems. No driver issue, peripheral devices could be run easily enough.....nothing bad really. Heck, even now, I have a laptop with Vista installed, and though I don't game on it, it does whatever I need it to do with ease....main purpose's to play BR movies, and it does this impeccably.

Because Vista as of the latest service pack is nearly identical to 7.

stinkytaco
05-05-2012, 12:28 AM
SSd's are pretty new, you should not trust tools to test HDD for testing a SSD .

Cattleclysm
05-05-2012, 01:02 AM
Because Vista as of the latest service pack is nearly identical to 7.

Not really, Application RAM usage is still ♥♥♥♥ed up.

MeStinkBAD
05-05-2012, 12:03 PM
Not really, Application RAM usage is still ♥♥♥♥ed up.

What are you talking about? Win7 uses the same kernel as Vista.