PDA

View Full Version : Why do developers release games like this?

Mashley
05-05-2012, 04:53 AM
They even had a 2 week delay, but we still ended up with a buggy, unplayable mess. Surely somewhere along the line someone must have noticed that the game doesn't go ten minutes without crashing? Instead, they've opted to force their paying customers into beta testing a product that is clearly not 'fit for purpose'

kufooru
05-05-2012, 04:55 AM
Maybe they get paid a dollar every time somebody whines on the forums.
By now they must be rich.

Mashley
05-05-2012, 04:57 AM
I'm 'whining'? Trust me, anyone who bought this game has every reason to be up in arms about what they've been sold. There's no reason to white knight for these guys.

demonslayer2222
05-05-2012, 05:00 AM
I agree ,we paid out good money on day of release to end up with a total mess, this should have been sorted before it got released.

kufooru
05-05-2012, 05:00 AM
There's no reason to white knight for these guys.

Other than the fact that this game cost jarate-all and they're (allegedly) working their assess off to dish out a major patch in 2 days time, addressing all the current problems?

I'm not saying people shouldn't be mad over buying a broken product. But come on, give it until the first patch at least. Then if it's still broken, by all means rage away. I'll most likely join you.

Mashley
05-05-2012, 05:03 AM
Yeah I will be pleased if it is fixed on Monday, but I'd be surprised if it was. If it could be fixed in just a few days, why was it not ready for launch?

AgingHobo
05-05-2012, 05:08 AM
As long as the devs are working on fixing and improving the game, I'm happy.

If they decide to abandon the game like Atomic did with Breach, then I will be upset.

This game didn't exactly cost a fortune either.

xX_Renegade_Xx
05-05-2012, 05:08 AM
why was it not ready for launch?

A mix up from what I've read, the wrong build for some and while I agree it shouldn't have happened I can only hope it's fixed and those that can't play will soon be able too.

VinAr
05-05-2012, 05:23 AM
A mix up from what I've read, the wrong build for some and while I agree it shouldn't have happened I can only hope it's fixed and those that can't play will soon be able too.

yup i got the beta build worst pos buggy glitchfest ever! i'm really dissapointed! Paying 10 euros for some beta version waw......

Zealto
05-05-2012, 05:25 AM
If we are to believe them, it was actually a mess up on steam's end.

DrZombo
05-05-2012, 05:37 AM
yup i got the beta build worst pos buggy glitchfest ever! i'm really dissapointed! Paying 10 euros for some beta version waw......

I don't know about you, but for me it costs 6 euros, lol

Sad Face
05-05-2012, 05:40 AM
I said almost the same thing in the SteamGifts forums...but...

Maybe the problem isn't the whining.

Remember the days when buying a game meant buying a finished product? Why is it normal for a game to be buggy to the point of unplayable? Bugs and issues slip through the cracks, that makes sense...but SOMEONE must have noticed these things before release day. Why is it considered childish and whiney to expect a game you paid for to be playable?

There's always going to be someone complaining about personal preferences that weren't catered to....but there are things that people are talking about that make their brand new game unplayable for at least three days.

Not just with this game, but with any game...day one customer should not mean beta tester.

DrZombo
05-05-2012, 05:44 AM
I said almost the same thing in the SteamGifts forums...but...

Maybe the problem isn't the whining.

Remember the days when buying a game meant buying a finished product? Why is it normal for a game to be buggy to the point of unplayable? Bugs and issues slip through the cracks, that makes sense...but SOMEONE must have noticed these things before release day. Why is it considered childish and whiney to expect a game you paid for to be playable?

There's always going to be someone complaining about personal preferences that weren't catered to....but there are things that people are talking about that make their brand new game unplayable for at least three days.

Not just with this game, but with any game...day one customer should not mean beta tester.

This has been explained a million times already, and people don't seem to notice; there has been a mix up with the orion: prelude unfinished files. Dino beatdown was already better than the version we got. We just have to wait until monday, for God's sake guys, IT HAS ONLY BEEN 18 HOURS SINCE RELEASE

LainiWeiz
05-05-2012, 05:55 AM
I'm not saying people shouldn't be mad over buying a broken product. But come on, give it until the first patch at least. Then if it's still broken, by all means rage away. I'll most likely join you.

This is the problem. People just seem to accept that something will be broken on launch.
Sure they could patch everything and it'll give out free steak, but that doesn't excuse them from releasing it broken.

Kzyl-orda
05-05-2012, 05:59 AM
I'm born in 85, and my gamer non-life began when I was 5, with Amiga.
and NO, I DO NOT ♥♥♥♥ING REMEMBER ANY GAME THAT WAS RELEASE FINISHED.
Not from major and neither from indies.
This game is from indies, there is a tag in the game info for that.
You can't expect the same service from million dollars companies and indies that do this works in moonlightning.

This said.
♥♥♥♥ING - PORT - FORWARDING - INFO.

Also with dead island there was a similar problem anyway.
Different people received different version of the game, and for someones it was unplayable.

18 HOURS SINCE RELEASE AND STILL NO PORT FORWARDING INFO AND THEIR SITE DOWN FFSFFFSFFSFFSFSSSFFSFSFS FOR FUK SAKE

DrZombo
05-05-2012, 06:17 AM
You can't expect the same service from million dollars companies and indies that do this works in moonlightning.

This said.

Different people received different version of the game, and for someones it was unplayable.

18 HOURS SINCE RELEASE AND STILL NO PORT FORWARDING INFO AND THEIR SITE DOWN FFSFFFSFFSFFSFSSSFFSFSFS FOR FUK SAKE

Calm down man, some hours ago there was a very informative tutorial here http://spiralforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=2309 but now the website is overloaded, most likely by people whining like you

Kzyl-orda
05-05-2012, 06:29 AM
From David:

For example: If I wanted to create a server on the map covan, my target would look something like this
C:\UDK\DinoBeatdownServer\Binaries\Win32\UDKGameSe rver.exe SGSDS-World-Covan
7. Doing it this way will use default values for the ports, which are 7777, 7778, and 7779 so make sure those three ports are open if you want people to be able to see your server in the browser and be able to connect to you.
8. If you want to use other ports, add the -Port=1234 command. This will always use the port you set, and the next two ports following it. So ports 1234, 1235, and 1236 will be used in this example
C:\UDK\DinoBeatdownServer\Binaries\Win32\UDKGameSe rver.exe SGSDS-World-Covan -Port=1234

DrZombo
05-05-2012, 06:30 AM
So what is your problem then?

kufooru
05-05-2012, 06:38 AM
This is the problem. People just seem to accept that something will be broken on launch.

Welcome to the wonderful world of PC gaming.

Sad Face
05-05-2012, 07:08 AM
This has been explained a million times already, and people don't seem to notice; there has been a mix up with the orion: prelude unfinished files. Dino beatdown was already better than the version we got. We just have to wait until monday, for God's sake guys, IT HAS ONLY BEEN 18 HOURS SINCE RELEASE

I didn't say anything about Dino Beatdown specifically.

I'm just saying that in general we've grown to accept that when we buy a game it'll probably be broken. I don't agree with that.

Of course I hope that the issue is fixed and fixed quickly, but Dino Beatdown is not a rare case.

Hackt0r
05-05-2012, 07:20 AM
Me and 3 Friends bought a 4-Pack of the Game and not even one of us can get this game to work for more then 2 Minutes.

And it seems we're not the only ones who cant play this ♥♥♥♥.

I hope the devs have a good explanation for this piece of Crap.

jimbo8098
05-05-2012, 07:29 AM
Guys , seriously. For starters , it was £6 for me , thats bugger all! Now second of all , it IS a beta release and the developers have clearly stated that it was a seed game too. It is a first release by an indie developer. Indie studios don't have nearly enough resources to throw at testing a game as one of the big cats would. Do you realise how diverse a customer base full of computers can be?

Now I admit that the game isn't exactly as fluid as we'd like it to be but these its been released for a single day and they are active on many communication networks and taking questions as well as fixing the issues. You coming on here and moaning that you paid £6 for a game which has a few technical difficulties at launch while still in beta and being released for the first time as their first release isn't going to fix the game quicker.

Now shut the hell up and be patient. The game WILL get fixed.

Wurzel_Pummage
05-05-2012, 07:38 AM
Guys , seriously. For starters , it was £6 for me , thats bugger all! Now second of all , it IS a beta release and the developers have clearly stated that it was a seed game too. It is a first release by an indie developer. Indie studios don't have nearly enough resources to throw at testing a game as one of the big cats would. Do you realise how diverse a customer base full of computers can be?

Now I admit that the game isn't exactly as fluid as we'd like it to be but these its been released for a single day and they are active on many communication networks and taking questions as well as fixing the issues. You coming on here and moaning that you paid £6 for a game which has a few technical difficulties at launch while still in beta and being released for the first time as their first release isn't going to fix the game quicker.

Now shut the hell up and be patient. The game WILL get fixed.

I saw no mention on the store page about this game being a beta release :confused:

JACKTE.JACKTE
05-05-2012, 07:39 AM
I saw no mention on the store page about this game being a beta release :confused:

yeah.

Hackt0r
05-05-2012, 07:48 AM

This.

And i dont care if this game is Indie or not.
We've paid for it, so they have to give us a working Game.

Niki
05-05-2012, 08:10 AM
In a word MONEY .
It is usually financial pressures that force them to release early.
The problem is that the "payback" will probably destroy their company, because no one will buy their games after this.

PanStrife
05-05-2012, 08:19 AM
Hey. Hey meatheads. Do some reading. Seriously.

jimbo8098
05-05-2012, 08:59 AM

This said.

Probably the same port as UT3 but I can't remember the port it used. Check the UT forums.

DubiousCow
05-05-2012, 01:18 PM
It's not that it was extremely inexpensive, it's that the product doesn't work for 99% of the people that bought it. When people complain about them paying nothing for it, I just laugh. That's like saying "Well, I bought a McDouble for $1 but instead of it having burger meat there's a dead rat. But hey, it was only $1 so they can just fix it, I guess!"

The game is broken. Its co-op is not working for most people and the single player isn't even working for me. I understand launch day problems, but that should not happen.

DPrassel
05-05-2012, 01:20 PM

This said.

Check this:

1. Download and extra the DinoBeatdownServer.rar file anywhere on your harddrive. It does not require steam to be running, but if steam is running it will still launch and you can still play on your account;
2. Navigate to your DinoBeatdownServer/Binaries/Win32 folder and locate UDKGameServer.exe. This exe is designed to run a light weight server that takes up very little resources.
3. Right click the UDKGameServer.exe file and create a shortcut. If you want to create multiple servers on one machine, you will need a new shortcut for each one.
4. Right click the newly created shortcut file and choose properties.
5. Under target is where you will need to put all your fancy commands.
6. The most basic setup is to just add a map name to the end of the target line. You can choose either SGSDS-World-Depth, SGSDS-World-Eden, or SGSDS-World-Covan.
For example: If I wanted to create a server on the map covan, my target would look something like this
7. Doing it this way will use default values for the ports, which are 7777, 7778, and 7779 so make sure those three ports are open if you want people to be able to see your server in the browser and be able to connect to you.
8. If you want to use other ports, add the -Port=1234 command. This will always use the port you set, and the next two ports following it. So ports 1234, 1235, and 1236 will be used in this example
C:\UDK\DinoBeatdownServer\Binaries\Win32\UDKGameSe rver.exe SGSDS-World-Covan -Port=1234
9. If all you want to do is create one server that you and your friends can play on, this will be enough, but if you want to open multiple servers, continue below.
10. UDK allows us to use one installation to run mutliple servers, each with different settings. To do this we use the -configsubdir command. This command will create a new folder inside DinoBeatdownServer/UDKGame/Config of any name you want, typically I use Server1, Server2 etc.
C:\UDK\DinoBeatdownServer\Binaries\Win32\UDKGameSe rver.exe SGSDS-World-Covan -Port=1234 -configsubdir=Server1
11. To edit the server values, navigate to DinoBeatdownServer/UDKGame/config/Server1 and edit the PCServer-Game.ini file, the only real important setting is server name in that file
12. If you're like me and your computer has multiple network cards, or you want to make sure that the server is bound to a specific ip use this command -multihome=192.168.1.68
13. Also when using multihome it's good to use -nohomedir and -unattended to make sure everything runs smoothly.
14. Here's the final command I use to host some servers --- C:\UDK\DinoBeatdownServer\Binaries\Win32\UDKGameSe rver.exe SGSDS-World-Covan.udk -multihome=192.168.1.68 -Port=7988 -configsubdir=Server1 -nohomedir -unattended
15. You may notice that the ip i'm using is a local ip and not my public ip, the reason for this is because my router is forwarding all my ports to my pc with that address. Feel free to ask any questions below.

DPrassel
05-05-2012, 01:21 PM
This.

And i dont care if this game is Indie or not.
We've paid for it, so they have to give us a working Game.

Working on it. Hang in there. We are truly sorry for this as it all happened last minute. We are resolving these issues and it'll be available on Monday. Hang in there!

Hackt0r
05-05-2012, 01:56 PM
Working on it. Hang in there. We are truly sorry for this as it all happened last minute. We are resolving these issues and it'll be available on Monday. Hang in there!

I hope so.
But your engagement here is truly good.
If it works with the Monday-update it will be forgiven and forgotten. ;)

Pablokers
05-05-2012, 01:58 PM
Check this:

1. Download and extra the DinoBeatdownServer.rar file anywhere on your harddrive. It does not require steam to be running, but if steam is running it will still launch and you can still play on your account;
2. Navigate to your DinoBeatdownServer/Binaries/Win32 folder and locate UDKGameServer.exe. This exe is designed to run a light weight server that takes up very little resources.
3. Right click the UDKGameServer.exe file and create a shortcut. If you want to create multiple servers on one machine, you will need a new shortcut for each one.
4. Right click the newly created shortcut file and choose properties.
5. Under target is where you will need to put all your fancy commands.
6. The most basic setup is to just add a map name to the end of the target line. You can choose either SGSDS-World-Depth, SGSDS-World-Eden, or SGSDS-World-Covan.
9. If all you want to do is create one server that you and your friends can play on, this will be enough, but if you want to open multiple servers, continue below.
10. UDK allows us to use one installation to run mutliple servers, each with different settings. To do this we use the -configsubdir command. This command will create a new folder inside DinoBeatdownServer/UDKGame/Config of any name you want, typically I use Server1, Server2 etc.
C:\UDK\DinoBeatdownServer\Binaries\Win32\UDKGameSe rver.exe SGSDS-World-Covan -Port=1234 -configsubdir=Server1
11. To edit the server values, navigate to DinoBeatdownServer/UDKGame/config/Server1 and edit the PCServer-Game.ini file, the only real important setting is server name in that file
12. If you're like me and your computer has multiple network cards, or you want to make sure that the server is bound to a specific ip use this command -multihome=192.168.1.68
13. Also when using multihome it's good to use -nohomedir and -unattended to make sure everything runs smoothly.
14. Here's the final command I use to host some servers --- C:\UDK\DinoBeatdownServer\Binaries\Win32\UDKGameSe rver.exe SGSDS-World-Covan.udk -multihome=192.168.1.68 -Port=7988 -configsubdir=Server1 -nohomedir -unattended
15. You may notice that the ip i'm using is a local ip and not my public ip, the reason for this is because my router is forwarding all my ports to my pc with that address. Feel free to ask any questions below.

Where do we get this dinobeatdownserver.rar?

jimbo8098
05-05-2012, 03:45 PM

It's all over their site if you bothered to check it before buying.

http://spiralgamestudios.com/post/22381424666/orion-dino-beatdown-released

I quote:

"This version is considerd the Day 1 Release which is a ‘Seed‘ version of the game."

Implies beat release , no?

kufooru
05-05-2012, 03:58 PM
The problem is that the "payback" will probably destroy their company, because no one will buy their games after this.

Ok, everyone just needs to stop being over dramatic here.
Jesus Christ, I don't think I've ever witnessed so many unforgiving mental deficients in one place.
If one unintended slip up is enough to permanently destroy a company's reputation, then it's really no wonder the gaming market keeps stagnating. And why the hell aren't people so zealous when it comes to ♥♥♥♥ like oil companies and banks? You know. The ones really screwing your lives up.

Bieeanda
05-05-2012, 03:58 PM
I never cease to be amazed by the kinds of excuses people will come up with for an abysmal launch or a game that is simply a lemon.

My favorite remains variations on 'It's just a demo! You shouldn't judge the full game on it!'

Soulsick82
05-05-2012, 03:59 PM
Maybe they get paid a dollar every time somebody whines on the forums.
By now they must be rich.

It's not whining, it's a warning to other buyers. I know this because I'm one of them, and I won't be purchasing this until peoples comments start looking up.

Soulsick82
05-05-2012, 04:01 PM
It's all over their site if you bothered to check it before buying.

http://spiralgamestudios.com/post/22381424666/orion-dino-beatdown-released

I quote:

"This version is considerd the Day 1 Release which is a ‘Seed‘ version of the game."

Implies beat release , no?

No, a 'seed' indicates it is the core game. A base. A starting point to develop from. It indicates that the game is currently lacking all the content they would like to have in it.

It has nothing to do with quality.