PDA

View Full Version : Black Ops II Engine is ...

Tranceholic
05-05-2012, 08:35 AM
Ridiculously based on Quake III Arena engine (id Tech 3) made in 1999. With all the ♥♥♥♥ing billions activation made thru out the years, they will give you the same ♥♥♥♥ again and again till the day you die.

You got to be the dumbest person in the planet to buy this ♥♥♥♥ty console port , out dated graphics , lack of innovation and creativity as this idea already excited in an old Battlefield game.

Suicide_GT
05-05-2012, 08:41 AM
Well hello there Captain Obvious! :rolleyes:

Zidane
05-05-2012, 08:59 AM
And yet another person complaining about GRAPHICS.

GAMEPLAY -> GRAPHICS. When will you idiots learn?

Blastcore
05-05-2012, 09:07 AM
Ridiculously based on Quake III Arena engine (id Tech 3) made in 1999. With all the ♥♥♥♥ing billions activation made thru out the years, they will give you the same ♥♥♥♥ again and again till the day you die.

You got to be the dumbest person in the planet to buy this ♥♥♥♥ty console port , out dated graphics , lack of innovation and creativity as this idea already excited in an old Battlefield game.

Graphics aren't important bro. The Engine is very updated compared to Modern Warfare 3 one (It's not going to use Black Ops 2).

Who cares about graphics? Only dumb people. It's not a port, it has innovation and creativity compared to old Call of Duty games. Battlefield is not futuristic game.

Bro, learn before posting.

Tranceholic
05-05-2012, 09:18 AM
Graphics aren't important bro. The Engine is very updated compared to Modern Warfare 3 one (It's not going to use Black Ops 2).

Who cares about graphics? Only dumb people. It's not a port, it has innovation and creativity compared to old Call of Duty games. Battlefield is not futuristic game.

Who cares about graphics? am not sure who exactly would ! But I certainly know for sure who wouldn't , POOR People who cannot afford to buy a new computer or upgrade ... Do you even know what a Port means before judging that it is not ??

Dante*
05-05-2012, 09:23 AM

Infinty Ward wrote their own engine for COD2, which left only 10% of the original engine they used for COD1 (which was as everyone knows a heavily modified Quake 3 engine). If we take just one example of the major changes they made, the method of lighting used in the COD2 is very different from that used in Quake 3, which is Gouraud shading. Infinity Ward's engine uses Phong shading. You cannot get the same kind of bump mapping with Gouraud shading as you can with Phong. Quake 3 has very poor bump mapping capabilities which is why it was never implemented in the final engine.

People talk about IW using a "heavily modified" Quake 3 engine, but really, if you look at just the method of lighting, switching from Gouraud to Phong, you are changing a very major aspect of any game engine.

I could go on and on and itemise all the differences between IW's engine and Quake 3, but suffice it to say that when all is said and done, if the COD engine is just a "heavily modified" Quake 3 engine, then so is Valve's Source engine just a "heavily modified" Quake 1 engine. In fact, there are strong parallels in the way IW and Valve have developed their engines, both starting off with id Tech and moving on to replace almost all of it with their own. Valve calls the Source engine "their" engine because it is; so is Infinity Ward's engine "theirs":

In 2004, Activision paid John Carmack, the creator of the Quake engines upwards of $350,000 for the full rights to the COD1 engine. It basically makes the engine Activision's and is royalty free. You can read about it from John Carmack himself in this archive from his blog:

http://www.armadilloaerospace.com/n.x/johnc/recent%20updates/archive?news_id=290

When he talks about "another large technology licensing deal go through", he is talking about Activision. So, when IW call their engine "theirs", they really do mean it - in every sense of the word! They paid the money for it.

Those are the facts gentlemen.

Smith001
05-05-2012, 09:24 AM
Battlefield is not futuristic game.

I'm pretty sure he meant Battlefield 2142...
If so then for your part about "learn before posting"

Checkmate... :D

Tranceholic
05-05-2012, 09:45 AM
In 2004, Activision paid in excess of $350,000 for the full rights to the engine Infinity Ward used for COD1 from id Software, making the engine royalty free. Infinity Ward wrote their own engine for COD2 based on that engine. There is less than 20% of the original id Tech code in the COD2 engine, mostly for the file system. All "Call of Duty" games since then have been based on it:

IW updated the COD2 engine for COD4, adding new graphics features such as rim lighting.

Treyarch enhanced the COD4 engine yet again for World at War, adding a new sound engine.

IW enhanced the COD4 engine yet again for MW2, adding such new features as texture streaming.

Treyarch enhanced the World at War engine yet again for Black Ops. They are doing the same again for Black Ops 2.

Those are the facts gentlemen.

Spot on my friend ! all your facts are right , witch makes activation the worst of all 3 companies for not paying enough money and requesting those developers to create something completely new completely fresh that meets todays standards ! Am sure with all the money that they got right now , they could have come with something that could take our breath away (and still has amazing gameplay, to shut the kids at first 2 or 3 replies) ! but greed and what does it do ...

I'm pretty sure he meant Battlefield 2142...
If so then for your part about "learn before posting"

Checkmate... :D

Ignore that kid , he probably was not alive when Battlefield 2142 came out.

Dante*
05-05-2012, 09:52 AM
Spot on my friend ! all your facts are right , witch makes activation the worst of all 3 companies for not paying enough money and requesting those developers to create something completely new completely fresh that meets todays standards ! Am sure with all the money that they got right now , they could have come with something that could take our breath away (and still has amazing gameplay, to shut the kids at first 2 or 3 replies) ! but greed and what does it do ...

But the reason they don't come up with something better is because their lead platform is the XBOX 360, which has technology which cannot support anything newer. PC doesn't make enough money for them to justify making a brand new engine just for it.

JustAnotherFan
05-05-2012, 10:11 AM
I just hope the engine isn't as badly optimized as it was for Blops and to a lesser extent MW3 on PC. I'm also hearing rumors of DX11 support which would hopefully include multi core improvements instead of the usual tessellation or fancy blurring effects.

While those effects would be nice to see, for a multiplayer game it just isn't necessary.

Peckpogydah
05-05-2012, 10:25 AM

You underestimate the power of very pretty graphics. BF3 and modded Skyrim look very very pretty and really help you enjoy the game.

Compare Blu-Ray to DVD. DVD looks very good, more then enough to enjoy the movie, but Blu-Ray puts it on a whole new level.

Peckpogydah
05-05-2012, 10:31 AM
PC doesn't make enough money for them to justify making a brand new engine just for it.

Exactly!!!

Although, BF3 did but part of their goal was to make BF3 the #1 PC MP FPS and steal all of the PO'd CoD fans.

Blastcore
05-05-2012, 10:51 AM

You call me a kid? Hello, you're the one that created a thread with lot of censored words (3 is a lot. Also, adult people doesn't have to use censored words).

neal8929
05-05-2012, 10:53 AM
One thing COD usually gets right is having games that have low requirements. Only exception was black ops which ran horribly for most people. Hopefully they will get it right this time.

Dabigbom
05-05-2012, 10:53 AM
The multitude of hate threads proves something here. People want Call of Duty to go away, yet their incessant requests for that clearly show that their mindset is the exact same of what they want. Awesome.

SolidSnake27
05-05-2012, 11:01 AM
The multitude of hate threads proves something here. People want Call of Duty to go away

And sadly, most of the people who create hate threads just sound like 12 years old kids who want to seem intelligent with "top notch" arguments and thus are no better than the so called "CoD sheeps". I've heard the same ♥♥♥♥ too many times. Sounds like it became a trend...

Gallimaufry
05-05-2012, 12:27 PM
I don't really care about the engine, I'm no programmer or anything. Really, I just want some decent graphics and good gameplay and if the old engine can still pull that off, I couldn't care less about the engine they use.

deepeyes
05-05-2012, 12:41 PM
And sadly, most of the people who create hate threads just sound like 12 years old kids who want to seem intelligent with "top notch" arguments and thus are no better than the so called "CoD sheeps". I've heard the same ♥♥♥♥ too many times. Sounds like it became a trend...

This ^ I wonder if they get the message.

SamuelKPeter
05-05-2012, 12:43 PM
Alright, let's follow your train of thought. The Source Engine is based on the Quake 1 Engine (1996). They've been "updating it" here and there, but it doesn't change the fact that it's old and broken as ♥♥♥♥, right? Hahahahahahaha no.

Stop trying to pretend you know about game engines. It costs less manpower updating the engine to suit the new game's needs than making a god damned new engine each release. Every big company does that!

Tranceholic
05-05-2012, 01:01 PM
You call me a kid? Hello, you're the one that created a thread with lot of censored words (3 is a lot. Also, adult people doesn't have to use censored words).

censored words are there expressing how pissed I am , Wasting 60 $ on MW3 to play it for 30 minutes. Apologies , did not know you were sensitive :)

Tranceholic
05-05-2012, 01:06 PM
But the reason they don't come up with something better is because their lead platform is the XBOX 360, which has technology which cannot support anything newer. PC doesn't make enough money for them to justify making a brand new engine just for it.

I totally Agree with you , hopefully next-Gen Consoles come out soon ( not that am going to buy any of that crap) just to hope that the quality of pc games kind of improve ! Am not very optimistic thou , specially after Microsoft announcing that they will be using a Radeon 6770 or something on their new xbox ! Witch is still 2 years away and planned to have a 1 year old card already.

Compare Blu-Ray to DVD. DVD looks very good, more then enough to enjoy the movie, but Blu-Ray puts it on a whole new level.

Golden words my friend , thumbs up

Tranceholic
05-05-2012, 01:19 PM
Alright, let's follow your train of thought. The Source Engine is based on the Quake 1 Engine (1996). They've been "updating it" here and there, but it doesn't change the fact that it's old and broken as ♥♥♥♥, right? Hahahahahahaha no.

Stop trying to pretend you know about game engines. It costs less manpower updating the engine to suit the new game's needs than making a god damned new engine each release. Every big company does that!

Do you realize how much money the publisher made out of CoD series in the past few years alone ? Do you not read numbers ?

Okay , if they got no time to create a new engine , because you know .. they want to make a game every year to generate more and more money ! Then why dont they pay up and use an up to date engine such as EPICs latest engine or Cry Engine 3 or even Frostbite 2.0 ? Oh right , they would never use that because it runs Battlefield 3 !! witch is at least 1000 times better than the crap we get in Cod Games.

I know for sure , with the money they got , they can hire your mommy to program the new engine from scratch after giving her a full scholarship in game programing. ( even if it would take a life time ).

Monkeydrummer
05-05-2012, 01:42 PM
Then why dont they pay up and use an up to date engine such as EPICs latest engine or Cry Engine 3 or even Frostbite 2.0 ?

Unreal Engine 3 ($99 dollars / Disliked by many)
CryENGINE 3 (EA Partner)
Frostbite 2.0 (EA owns this. lol)

Labs
05-05-2012, 01:45 PM
Do you realize how much money the publisher made out of CoD series in the past few years alone ? Do you not read numbers ?

Okay , if they got no time to create a new engine , because you know .. they want to make a game every year to generate more and more money ! Then why dont they pay up and use an up to date engine such as EPICs latest engine or Cry Engine 3 or even Frostbite 2.0 ? Oh right , they would never use that because it runs Battlefield 3 !! witch is at least 1000 times better than the crap we get in Cod Games.

I know for sure , with the money they got , they can hire your mommy to program the new engine from scratch after giving her a full scholarship in game programing. ( even if it would take a life time ).

Just stop..you have already dig yourself a grave from which you are never going to get out, you stupid ♥♥♥♥.

Tranceholic
05-05-2012, 02:18 PM
Just stop..you have already dig yourself a grave from which you are never going to get out, you stupid ♥♥♥♥.

How come , would love to know.

Fangride
05-05-2012, 03:40 PM

And since when has Call of Duty GAMEPLAY been good recently? MW3 was all about how "pretty" their graphics were, when they weren't at all, since the rest of the game was horrid.

Zidane
05-05-2012, 05:36 PM
You underestimate the power of very pretty graphics. BF3 and modded Skyrim look very very pretty and really help you enjoy the game.

Wise words, but I was more or less referring to 8 bit/16 bit games and how they can offer better gameplay than most games these days.

It's also about the artistic style of the game. Team Fortress 2 is a great example of this. The graphics are basically poor, but the style makes up for it.

And since when has Call of Duty GAMEPLAY been good recently? MW3 was all about how "pretty" their graphics were, when they weren't at all, since the rest of the game was horrid.

Recently? Not exactly... Black Ops was the last game I enjoyed for its gameplay, despite some of the flaws.

Dabigbom
05-05-2012, 06:57 PM
oh mayn dis b srs thread yo

Blastcore
05-05-2012, 07:14 PM
censored words are there expressing how jarateed I am , Wasting 60 $ on MW3 to play it for 30 minutes. Apologies , did not know you were sensitive :)

Censored words are for kids.

Unreal Engine 3 ($99 dollars / Disliked by many)
CryENGINE 3 (EA Partner)
Frostbite 2.0 (EA owns this. lol)

Unreal Engine 3 - Is awesome, but yeah, many people dislike it.
CryEngine 3 - Sucks, very bad optimized (In my oppinion).
Frostbite 2.0 - DirectX 11 only, it's bs.

DodgeRainPop
05-05-2012, 10:23 PM

Yeah COD doesnt exactly have gameplay either.

Scared
05-05-2012, 11:15 PM
Changing engine would require a ****ton of work to get the game working the same. COD has a very specific feel (Extreme fast pace and precision) and if COD loses that then it will lose a lot of appeal.

I wish they would replace most of the animations because they have been mostly the same for the last 4 years (and one of the new things in BO2 is a new animation system so we can hope).

If any of you actually knew the work it would take to build your own engine or to buy an 'off the shelf engine' and make it work the way you want then you would't be suggesting it. It's not feasible with the current release schedules they have (unless they have a small team developing a new engine in parallel with making the game and have the engine made over several games but there is no benefit in doing that).

danza
05-06-2012, 12:15 AM
There are a couple main reasons for the engine staying the same.
Firstly building a new engine would require a lot of time, something Activision does not give the developers anywhere near enough time to do. Also factor in that everyone will have to learn again how to code for the engine, rather than using the familiar tools of the current IW engine.
On the consoles they make a big deal of having a smooth 60FPS, which is the only real graphical 'advantage' over the competitor (which runs at 30, and on consoles occasionally drops below that.' Keeping that 60FPS would be impossible on the aged hardware of the consoles if a new engine were implemented.
Therefore in BO2, like every other CoD (except MW3, which was basically Copy and Paste) they've opted for iterative upgrades, such as HDR lighting and a new mapping technique. Expect a new engine when the new set of consoles come out. Unfortunately on the PC, we can only wait for the consoles to catch up.

Makedon4e
05-06-2012, 02:03 AM

this!

Combatd
05-06-2012, 04:19 AM
I think this can be a decent game if they give us decent optimization, improved graphics (with DX11 like they announced, but with higher res textures as well), larger scale maps for the vehicles, map editor/mod tools, and zombies.

Dante*
05-06-2012, 04:26 AM
I think this can be a decent game if they give us decent optimization, improved graphics (with DX11 like they announced, but with higher res textures as well), larger scale maps for the vehicles, map editor/mod tools, and zombies.

I highly doubt there will be vehicles in multiplayer. And I also highly doubt a map editor.

XHummel
05-06-2012, 10:29 AM
Maybe on reason is that they don't want to make a brand new shiny new engine is that 1. The current gen consoles might need some tweaking to it and with the current engine and stuff everybody in that audience is happy and those guys make them the most money so why change it if they still buy it and 2. There are folks on the PC and with the low reqs they want to ensure that almost everybody has a chance to install and play it if they want it to, so you don't need the newest and most expensive tech to play it properly. That's just my idea of things