PDA

View Full Version : Can't launch PR3

pinarello1969
05-06-2012, 01:38 AM
Has anyone had luck in getting this game to start? It hasn't started at all. When I start the game it, nothing happens and I get the message that the game had a problem and do I want to send a message about it. I have updated the drivers and reinstalled 4 times with no luck.

I have been over to the Kalypso forums and it seems that the problem is with Steam version as other download sites have no problems with launching the game.

I wish that a rep. from Kalypso would make a notice on the steam boards to let everyone know of the problem.

Any similar problems/luck with this game?

gmanagusia
05-06-2012, 04:15 AM
yep, same here - read heaps of posts and tried to run secondary installers etc. no luck. it seems though from what I've read that launching the game with steam seems the problem. no confirmation though if that is really the case. hope someone will get it working soon, else this pre-order was the worst investment for a while (means: never again!).

have to say that it's the first game of many i've got on steam that didn't work (or wasn't fixed really really quickly - thumbs up for steam in this respect - that's why my expectations are high and I'm sure they'll do everything to get the game running).

;) g.

pinarello1969
05-06-2012, 06:04 AM
Well, on the Kalypso forums it seems that those who got the game from other sites don't seem to have problems. Also there are some steam versions that don't have problems as well. I wonder if the problem is regional which I find hard to believe since how could it?

I have dozens of games from steam and this is the first one that has not worked at all.

But I can understand you point about the pre-order. I don't do pre-order unless I know about the game well before it is released. I will be very hesitant to do pre-orders from now on.

pinarello1969
05-06-2012, 06:17 AM
I found this on the kalypso site.
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2819-QRYX-2082

Issues and Fixes

Secondary Installers

If you're encountering issues with launching Port Royale 3, make sure everything installed smoothly.

Aside from verifying your game cache and checking your connection with Steam, you may also need to manually run secondary installers required by this game.

Exit Steam entirely.

Browse to your Port Royale 3 installation folder (Usually C:\Program files\Steam\Steamapps\common\port royale 3\)

Run the following installers:

...\Steamapps\common\port royale 3\dotnetfx3.exe
...\Steamapps\common\port royale 3\dotnetfx35.exe
...\Steamapps\common\port royale 3\vcredist_x86.exe
...\Steamapps\common\port royale 3\DirectXRedist\DXSETUP.exe

Reboot your computer and test any issues again.

OS Specific Troubleshooting

If the above does not resolve the issue and you are running Windows 7 or Windows Vista, please complete the instructions in our Windows 7 and Vista Troubleshooting FAQ.

If you are running in Windows XP, take the following steps:

Exit Steam.
Go to the Start menu, select Run, type regedit and click OK.
Navigate to the following registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\VALVE
Right click and select Permissions
Check the Allow boxes for Admin and System for both Full control and Read.

So I will try this and I hope this works. But I have to admit that it stinks to find info about a steam game on another website.

Update: Strange. I had problems with the dotnetfx parts. Still no launch.

Creaps
05-06-2012, 06:33 AM
ran all those programs, but i have a newer .NET it and still no help. so now im just gonna wait and see if steam is gonna give me a refund since the game isnt working and steam is as helpfull as sand in a desert

pinarello1969
05-06-2012, 06:45 AM
I share your grief.

I think that releases should not occur right before the weekend.
Most workers won't work so fixes will take time.
Too many gamers are ready to play a game that they have high hopes for. And when a game doesn't work and they have to wait which means that they will be more than annoyed.

pinarello1969
05-06-2012, 06:55 AM
Hey everyone!
I searched and found out how to get the thing to work.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/k8ic1ost88...ortRoyale3.exe

You need to download the this .exe file and move it to your PR3 folder.
This will replace the original and it should work. \
I can acutally play the game!
Enjoy!

Creaps
05-06-2012, 09:24 AM
The game will still crash if you are using a dual core machine and there is no fix for that atm. tried the solution given on the kalypso forums and that doesnt help. So i can sail around and trade on the sea, but cant enter towns and theres not even a quicksave function.

Tasslehoff
05-07-2012, 03:43 AM
Have you tried alt tabbing and setting the affinity to just 1 core in the task manager. It's not perfect but it certainly helps reduce the crashes. There's some fairly recent info on that on the kalypso forums.

gmanagusia
05-07-2012, 04:22 AM
did everything that steam suggested in help and even copied the .exe I downloaded from your post (many thanks) ... but ... nothing can make PR3 work for me. seriously considering trying to get a refund ... might give it a few more days so someone who actually created the mess can fix it for us who paid for it ... else I would rather get a refund. none of my other steam purchases had any of that trouble :(((

CptKiffMan
05-07-2012, 04:27 AM
... the executable file from above lets me start the game finally ...
makes me wonder why this ♥♥♥♥ doesnt get officially fixed

Creaps
05-07-2012, 05:08 AM
Have you tried alt tabbing and setting the affinity to just 1 core in the task manager. It's not perfect but it certainly helps reduce the crashes. There's some fairly recent info on that on the kalypso forums.

Yes i have done that, still crashed when exiting a town.

Capn Tucker
05-07-2012, 05:28 AM
PR3 looks really good, and I had high hopes of getting my Pirates! fix. But until I see that the game is working, I'll be giving this one a miss.. :(

pinarello1969
05-07-2012, 05:55 AM
Though I got the game to start, I have had a lot of freezes when I leave towns. I know this also has been an issue on the kalypso forums. I wish a Kalypso rep would make a post here to let us know what the company is doing about it.

SheldonDragon
05-07-2012, 12:09 PM
Hey everyone!
I searched and found out how to get the thing to work.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/k8ic1ost88...ortRoyale3.exe

You need to download the this .exe file and move it to your PR3 folder.
This will replace the original and it should work. \
I can acutally play the game!
Enjoy!

Can you please post the link again? This link was not well formed. Thanks.:)

pinarello1969
05-08-2012, 07:41 PM
Can you please post the link again? This link was not well formed. Thanks.:)

Did you find the link in the WORKAROUND thread? I saw your posting there. That's where I originally found it.

Bigfeats
05-08-2012, 09:07 PM
*Sighs*
Nothing worked so far.

benny3630
05-09-2012, 02:36 AM
I found this on the kalypso site.
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2819-QRYX-2082

Issues and Fixes

Secondary Installers

If you're encountering issues with launching Port Royale 3, make sure everything installed smoothly.

Aside from verifying your game cache and checking your connection with Steam, you may also need to manually run secondary installers required by this game.

Exit Steam entirely.

Browse to your Port Royale 3 installation folder (Usually C:\Program files\Steam\Steamapps\common\port royale 3\)

Run the following installers:

...\Steamapps\common\port royale 3\dotnetfx3.exe
...\Steamapps\common\port royale 3\dotnetfx35.exe
...\Steamapps\common\port royale 3\vcredist_x86.exe
...\Steamapps\common\port royale 3\DirectXRedist\DXSETUP.exe

Reboot your computer and test any issues again.

OS Specific Troubleshooting

If the above does not resolve the issue and you are running Windows 7 or Windows Vista, please complete the instructions in our Windows 7 and Vista Troubleshooting FAQ.

If you are running in Windows XP, take the following steps:

Exit Steam.
Go to the Start menu, select Run, type regedit and click OK.
Navigate to the following registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\VALVE
Right click and select Permissions
Check the Allow boxes for Admin and System for both Full control and Read.

So I will try this and I hope this works. But I have to admit that it stinks to find info about a steam game on another website.

Update: Strange. I had problems with the dotnetfx parts. Still no launch.

Hi there,
I have tried this twice and It still doesnt load, I think it must be a regional thing.
I hope Steam is fixing this as its been about 7 days now

Tasslehoff
05-09-2012, 02:42 AM
http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/ae212/Tassl3hoff27/pr3crash12.jpg

Same crash problem different offset this time over previous patch and hotfix update used to crash at 003a535c now it carks it at 003a552c
Yes I installed Directx, All Net Frameworks, VC ++, several times over, verified game cache, followed the canned email reply, followed the 2 troubleshooting guides. Can we PLEASE get some acknowledgement from a Steam rep the problem is being worked on. Not happy Jan.

pinarello1969
05-09-2012, 05:13 AM
I also would like to see reps from Steam and Kalypso just stating that there someone, somewhere, is working on it. This situation won't help future pre-releases since not many people will be able to trust them.

Creaps
05-09-2012, 12:52 PM
and the fun bit is that steams tech reps gives the same solution as kalypso has on their forum which we have shown not to work :S

Eikyori
05-09-2012, 01:33 PM
I'm currently claiming my money back.
The game doesn't start, no matter what.

Creaps
05-09-2012, 02:13 PM
im doing the same. i doubt the game will run before friday

fulgencia
05-09-2012, 09:26 PM
did everything that steam suggested in help and even copied the .exe I downloaded from your post (many thanks) ... but ... nothing can make PR3 work for me. seriously considering trying to get a refund ... might give it a few more days so someone who actually created the mess can fix it for us who paid for it ... else I would rather get a refund. none of my other steam purchases had any of that trouble :(((

I am a little angry now. when we replaced the file it worked! so can they just stop telling us to check our computer and give us a worked file?!

gmanagusia
05-10-2012, 03:06 AM
I also would like to see reps from Steam and Kalypso just stating that there someone, somewhere, is working on it. This situation won't help future pre-releases since not many people will be able to trust them.

i did actually get a reply from Kalypso support and thought that this was straight forward at least:

"The developers already know about the issue with Steam. There should be a patch comming in the next few days through Steam. This patch should fix the problem.

Best regards,

--
Kalypso Media
Support Service
"

Now I'm just slightly disappointed that the patch they supplied didn't fix the starting problems we still seem to have (at least I learned a lot how to re-install, validate and mess up my registry if nothing else ... well, I learned not to buy too early too)

:( still waiting for another patch that'll make my PR3 work else I'll have to get the 'money-back' patch I guess - surely disappointing too

Tasslehoff
05-10-2012, 10:56 AM
New 24694 patch which fixes the launcher crash for me, check it out guys and gals!!!

Bigfeats
05-10-2012, 06:36 PM
Worked for me.
NOTE
It did look like it had failed to launch again, as I was bring this thread up to rant post. A skull and cross bones popped up on my task bar. Asking me for the activation code, then it loaded.

gmanagusia
05-10-2012, 06:51 PM
New 24694 patch which fixes the launcher crash for me, check it out guys and gals!!!

and it did fix it for me too :) 75min play and no crash ... now let's find some more time to play really :) enjoy sailors

Capn Tucker
05-11-2012, 02:21 PM
So the game is now working for (most) everyone? Want to find out for sure before giving them any money..

vicviper
05-11-2012, 02:27 PM
So the game is now working for (most) everyone? Want to find out for sure before giving them any money..

It's been working fine for most people before as well, they just don't post in forums is all.

You could see from the global achievements stats that 99% of people have been playing the game and unlocking achievements since release day without any issues.

Dethstar
06-21-2012, 04:54 AM
Bump. It looks like I have the same problem as some others. It worked properly, once. Then I got a failure based on the game unavailable message. Tried the proposed solutions for that which failed to fix the issue and found myself here.

Out of the 5x I have tried to play this game since I bought it I have been able to actually get it to start twice. I don't think 10 mins playing time is fair or reasonable for the cost of the game. Tried all the solutions here and the game still tells me it is unavailable all the time.

Releases like this give PC gaming a bad name.

Kelesis666
06-21-2012, 09:12 AM
This entire release feels like an early beta. I can always start the game, but it keeps crashing from time to time, and it's full of in-game bugs. I don't know why Kalypso rushed to release the game, it's not ready, not by a longshot. I'm not a pro, but I know a thing or two about computer programming, so I have an idea about it, when I say that even the simplest programs require a bug-fixing phase, let alone a massive project like this game. I'm sure Kalypso did some bug-fixing, but not nearly on the required scale. Seems like they don't realize that writing the code is only half of the programming job. Making sure it functions properly is the other half.
I really love this game, but I am pissed, and I hope the major problems get fixed soon enough.

ejardin
07-21-2012, 12:19 PM
Yeah, link not working, repost! So annoying to pay that much money for something that doesn't work!

JNitemann
08-07-2012, 11:50 PM
Try this tweak first:

http://kartones.net/blogs/kartones/archive/2009/05/26/tip-increase-user-process-address-space-to-3gb-and-other-misc-tweaks.aspx

I am not going to step by step you into the how's because each pc may have a different ini file. Try searching the net for specifics that will fit your system.

This may hopefully get you off Steam's PR3 launcher and onto Kalypso's PR3 Launcher. Good luck and back up any files you modify.