PDA

View Full Version : How do you kill a Gold Dragon?

Kopikatsu
05-08-2012, 08:48 PM
Seriously. How? I've hit this thing with two Armegeddon spells and he's killed every level 10 unit that I have while being level 6 (Level 10 is the max level), and it's currently sitting on the ruins of my empire at full health.

I should also mention that the enemy has three of them.

Edit: Another thing I should mention is that my units were buffed heavily with weapon enchants/shields and I had Weaken on the GD.

overread
05-08-2012, 10:13 PM
When you say enemy do you mean the AI animals or the AI kings? If the latter how does one get dragons? (I'm assuming a creep building - something hidden in the deathtrap that is an alternate world?)

Kopikatsu
05-08-2012, 10:22 PM
When you say enemy do you mean the AI animals or the AI kings? If the latter how does one get dragons? (I'm assuming a creep building - something hidden in the deathtrap that is an alternate world?)

AI King, monster faction only has Red Dragons. I actually spent most of my time trying to find out how he spawned them, but couldn't figure it out.

This will probably become a bigger issue since the AI has infinite resources and the only thing preventing him from flooding the map with these things is probably the turn limit on spawning units...

Gold Dragons are incredibly broken though. Flying, extremely resistant to all forms of damage at level 1 due to a racial passive, has 90 health and crits for 80...

searro
05-08-2012, 10:28 PM
Seems fun, glad i didn't met any yet :D

overread
05-08-2012, 10:29 PM
Hmm in general I don't mind the AI having an edge on spawn rates (as I suspect its ability to level units normally is limited) though you are right that certain "super" spawn options on the maps might indeed be in need of a tweak here to prevent too much abuse by the ai

Otherwise just - keep throwing archers at it is all I can suggest - plus see if you can sneak a team behind enemy lines to take their capital - at least then all the kings units go rouge.

Kopikatsu
05-08-2012, 10:51 PM
Hmm in general I don't mind the AI having an edge on spawn rates (as I suspect its ability to level units normally is limited) though you are right that certain "super" spawn options on the maps might indeed be in need of a tweak here to prevent too much abuse by the ai

Otherwise just - keep throwing archers at it is all I can suggest - plus see if you can sneak a team behind enemy lines to take their capital - at least then all the kings units go rouge.

Enemy units do level normally and gain perks the same way yours do.

I've actually thrown every enchantment on my strongest unit (including levitation) and was planning on doing just that. The chance of him being able to bring down the enemy capital is very...slim, however. Especially when he could very well have like eight Gold Dragons defending it. I've only seen the three the enemy Mage likes keeping on the front lines.

overread
05-08-2012, 10:57 PM
Ahh sorry I didn't mean that the AI units couldn't gain levels normally, but more that the ability to attack and retreat and preserve units long into the game might be an area where the AI is weaker than the human player - thus allowing it to build more as a counter to the human players ability to be fielding higher level units later into the game .

jonsnow13
05-08-2012, 11:27 PM
Best way to kill powerful units is to use the weakness spells and such to lower their stats then they effectively become lower level units and cost the enemy a lot of resources.

Also the computer very rarely builds those units as they don't know the build order it seems to get to them. This game is very random, no real intelligence to the AI.

Mentiri
05-09-2012, 07:13 AM
I used two buffed elven sharpshooter to kill golden dragons. As soon as i got some of my own, the game was easy win after that.

Hound_Archon
05-09-2012, 07:53 AM
From my experience, they aren't particularly resistant to death magic. A couple of shadow bolt spells usually do the trick.

amirfoox
05-09-2012, 10:56 AM
There's this spell called 'Ice Trap', I think. It causes only minor damage, but freezes the target for 3 turns, preventing it from moving or attacking. So just cast this spell when you see the dragon, have at it with every ranged unit and defensive building you have, then cast it again on the third turn, rendering it unable to counterattack.

Handling more dragons at the same time is a bit trickier, but doable, since the effect lasts for 3 turns. You just have to remember when did you cast that spell on which dragon, and juggle between them until they drop. Bear in mind that you need a relatively large pool of mana, as this spell costs 45 per cast, so don't waste mana on any other offensive spells against the dragon.

Shadow bolts do work, sure, but the dragon is free to wreak havoc against your cities and units in the meantime, and they cost more - 50 mana per cast, if I remember correctly.

Kopikatsu
05-09-2012, 01:18 PM
From my experience, they aren't particularly resistant to death magic. A couple of shadow bolt spells usually do the trick.

They're mildly resistant to Death Magic, but yeah, that's basically the only thing that hurt them. It took like eight Shadow Bolts to bring one down?

'Course, I soon learned that the enemy Mage had many, many, MANY Gold Dragons. I had almost 2000 mana when I started, and he was down to his last 7 when I finally ran out. The only reason I won is because I built a few temples, got free faction units, and then teleported them to the enemy capital and backdoored it while sacrificing the rest of my castles.

jonsnow13
05-09-2012, 01:55 PM
Yes backdooring is the way to go. You can basically teleport really powerful units in to a capital and take out the whole country by taking the capital! Too bad it doesn't make their cities/units go away though

Hound_Archon
05-09-2012, 02:16 PM
I haven't figured out how teleport spell interface works. Would you care to explain it to me, please? Somehow it won't let me use it on my units, and if it does, the results are completely random.

Akuthia
05-09-2012, 02:25 PM
Have the unit selected, cast spell, click where you want unit to go

Hound_Archon
05-09-2012, 02:36 PM
Thanks!

Akuthia
05-09-2012, 02:43 PM
no problem, its a very clunky interface, as in most games, you'd select spell, select target, then select destination, but this is how it is here, so

Orosian
05-09-2012, 03:05 PM
I'm still going through my first playthrough and the librarian mage turned the tide against me by summoning a number of gold dragons. What I ended up doing was using the spell which somebody mentioned earlier - it's something like ice trap or ice prison. I then proceeded to hurl everything I had at it until it died. Using that and counter spell I've managed to turn the tide back against him again and tonight I can proudly announce that he won't be summoning anything again. If it's possible to summon them I haven't found out how yet, but do colour me interested!

colbey2000
05-09-2012, 03:25 PM
I didn't have any problems in beta killing gold dragons. By the time you will run in to these you should have a couple temples built. Make a lich then use upgrades and ehchant the hell out of it. Lich normal attack can hit from 3 hexes away so you can hit any AI monster unit without it going for you. I alway give all the upgrades to my units and I don't usually build alot of units I don't use zerg strategies. I build incredibly strong units and have them rampage the map. If you rightclick the unit it will tell you what skills it has and how much resistance it has so you can see what will be most effective against it. Once you have a unit will all enchantments and upgrades it pretty much is unbeatable. I had a lvl 9 assassin that could single hit lvl 8 towns and pretty much double hit anything higher. Giving units levitate is awesome btw:). I never did figure out how to make Eleven Sharpshooters I don't know if they were unlocked for the beta but Eleven archers were already pretty OP. Also you can get dragon liches from undead cities and red dragons from one of the caves forgot what they were called not sure if they upgraded to gold I don't remember.

jonsnow13
05-09-2012, 04:29 PM
An easier way to beat the AI is to just simply declare peace, walk your guys into their base and surround their capital, and then break the peace and take the capital.

Gundato
05-09-2012, 08:09 PM
Seriously. How? I've hit this thing with two Armegeddon spells and he's killed every level 10 unit that I have while being level 6 (Level 10 is the max level), and it's currently sitting on the ruins of my empire at full health.

I should also mention that the enemy has three of them.

Edit: Another thing I should mention is that my units were buffed heavily with weapon enchants/shields and I had Weaken on the GD.

I suggest not rocking Armageddon unless you need to. It does area effect damage (2.5 hex radius) and I believe it can hurt your own units. It is fun, but it might not be the best use of resources.

And either way, for the amount of mana you spend, you may want to use one of the lower-level spells.

That being said, if you don't have powerful units to fight them, do what the other suggested: Weaken the crap out of the enemies until they are manageable.

Akuthia
05-09-2012, 08:54 PM
does weaken stack on top of itself?

overread
05-10-2012, 01:34 AM
An easier way to beat the AI is to just simply declare peace, walk your guys into their base and surround their capital, and then break the peace and take the capital.

I'm hoping that in an update the AI declares war if you enter their territory with more than one unit :)

Gregoriusrex
05-11-2012, 02:23 AM
Ancient liches ftw. They absolutely destroy dragons.

ace1387
05-11-2012, 04:15 AM
I'm still going through my first playthrough and the librarian mage turned the tide against me by summoning a number of gold dragons. What I ended up doing was using the spell which somebody mentioned earlier - it's something like ice trap or ice prison. I then proceeded to hurl everything I had at it until it died. Using that and counter spell I've managed to turn the tide back against him again and tonight I can proudly announce that he won't be summoning anything again. If it's possible to summon them I haven't found out how yet, but do colour me interested!

In my first game I only came up against summoned gold dragons late and they were easy to kill with spirit spells and high level units as they were level 1. If they've been around and levelled up to 6 I expect it's a different story.

Orosian
05-11-2012, 04:18 AM
In my first game I only came up against summoned gold dragons late and they were easy to kill with spirit spells and high level units as they were level 1. If they've been around and levelled up to 6 I expect it's a different story.

I was playing as an undead race - and those gold dragons were swooping in from out of sight and wiping out my high level vampires with one hit. Subsequently, I was only left with lower level units!

Zinimi
05-11-2012, 04:28 AM
Beef up some units. I've found that any Elite unit with a nice batch of blessings on it, including Levitation, can take pretty much anything one-on-one (except an Avatar, but 6 of them could down it easy).

Blessings are your friend!

Hound_Archon
05-11-2012, 05:45 AM
I was playing as an undead race - and those gold dragons were swooping in from out of sight and wiping out my high level vampires with one hit. Subsequently, I was only left with lower level units!

I noticed that vampires are a real aggro magnet. AI always prioritized them over any other unit I had.

overread
05-11-2012, 06:02 AM
I noticed that vampires are a real aggro magnet. AI always prioritized them over any other unit I had.

Sounds like a sane tactic to me :)
Vampires are very powerful with their regeneration attack. I'm also surprised at how effective they are (esp when upgraded) at taking out cities. They just suck the life out of almost everything.

weed33
05-11-2012, 01:30 PM
I'm proud to say I've honestly never lost a single unit to a gold dragon. The best units against them are vampires or ancient liches. Most armies I make consist of 3 levitated ancient liches and a couple of vampires on the ground although they're just backup really. The 3 liches can bring down a golden dragon in 1 - 2 turns if I can remember correctly. And if it doesn't die the first time I can just bring it down with shadow bolts or freeze it.

I'm actually quite surprised people are having trouble with them, I thought they were a bit underpowered actually but then again I've never tried to take one on without liches or vampires.

Orosian
05-11-2012, 01:49 PM
Heh, if it was a single Gold Dragon I wouldn't have fared so badly! He had three or four and loved summoning them.