PDA

View Full Version : "Check for updates" option for games

stevethepocket
05-10-2012, 07:17 PM
Sometimes when a game update is released, Steam doesn't notice until hours later. A few times I could even start the game and get as far as trying to connect to a server before it helpfully informed me that I was using a different version of the game than the server. And then after I exit the game, it still doesn't notice that there's an update.

I seem to recall that in the old (pre-2010) version of Steam, there was an option to check for an update on a game. Well, there isn't one now, and there probably should be. Who's with me?

kraze1994
05-10-2012, 10:03 PM
This was most likely removed because Steam automatically updates games. I believe Steam rolls out updates to certain areas at certain times, that way there servers do not get killed with 5 million people downloading all at once.

However in some cases this can lead to a delayed gaming session, like you mentioned above.

I am not sure on the progress of Steams new CDN network they announced some time back but after that is finished and rolled out you should no longer see that.

Zack771
05-10-2012, 11:07 PM
This was a good idea to add this :)

DaMaGe007
05-10-2012, 11:14 PM
in the meantime you could exit steam, and restart it...

When it first connects it checks for updates for all your games.

DMG