View Full Version : "Check for updates" option for games

05-10-2012, 08:17 PM
Sometimes when a game update is released, Steam doesn't notice until hours later. A few times I could even start the game and get as far as trying to connect to a server before it helpfully informed me that I was using a different version of the game than the server. And then after I exit the game, it still doesn't notice that there's an update.

I seem to recall that in the old (pre-2010) version of Steam, there was an option to check for an update on a game. Well, there isn't one now, and there probably should be. Who's with me?

05-10-2012, 11:03 PM
This was most likely removed because Steam automatically updates games. I believe Steam rolls out updates to certain areas at certain times, that way there servers do not get killed with 5 million people downloading all at once.

However in some cases this can lead to a delayed gaming session, like you mentioned above.

I am not sure on the progress of Steams new CDN network they announced some time back but after that is finished and rolled out you should no longer see that.

05-11-2012, 12:07 AM
This was a good idea to add this :)

05-11-2012, 12:14 AM
in the meantime you could exit steam, and restart it...

When it first connects it checks for updates for all your games.