PDA

View Full Version : Yes it's worth it.

UMS
05-11-2012, 07:25 PM
If you like RPGs, oldschool style RPGs, this dev has been making this stuff for a long time and they're well done. I first ran into this series when I only had a Mac for a while and was looking for something decent to play. Going to grab this up for Windows.

My vote is "yes" it's worth it!

Rook
05-12-2012, 12:04 AM
Don't judge this game on it's looks!

There are so many hours of gameplay in these games all centered squarely on the shoulders of an excellent storyline and plot.

The graphics you will sort of get used to as you get pulled into the writing.

sdslust
05-12-2012, 10:17 AM
I agree 100%! Really enjoying it so far and I'm only 2 hrs into Avernum 4 :)

dave_
05-12-2012, 02:39 PM
S'okay, ugly is the new black. Lookit Minecraft.

Seriously. I'm having a blast on Geneforge and that's, like, C64 graphics.

ibitato
05-14-2012, 02:13 AM
I got Escape from the pit and played a bit.
right after that I got the new pack (A4-6)
and im waiting for the genforge series to be on sale to get them
(20 euros atm)
I still don't know who this gems slipped under my radar all these years
thanks steam for turning the light on!

Crosmando
05-14-2012, 02:26 AM
I like this series, it's no Fallout 1, Arcanum, or Planescape, but for anyone who likes the 2D isometric style in CRPG's (especially with turn-based combat), this is something new to play instead of replaying the old classics. I'm glad to see more of this long series on steam.

ibitato
05-14-2012, 02:27 AM
I like this series, it's no Fallout 1, Arcanum, or Planescape, but for anyone who likes the 2D isometric style in CRPG's (especially with turn-based combat), this is something new to play instead of replaying the old classics. I'm glad to see more of this long series on steam.

also the writing is very good and the story as well
!

whitknight25
05-14-2012, 07:50 AM
I got Escape from the pit and played a bit.
right after that I got the new pack (A3-5)
and im waiting for the genforge series to be on sale to get them
(20 euros atm)
I still don't know who this gems slipped under my radar all these years
thanks steam for turning the light on!

I think you mean A4-6...and I'd say they slipped through, because they weren't released on stream until recently..(May 11th).

The part I always thought was gay..."20 euros ATM"...it's 20 Bucks in the states. So, I mean you guys pay almost 6 extra USD for the same game.

Edit: can't believe they didn't heart out the word Gay

ibitato
05-14-2012, 08:00 AM
I think you mean A4-6...and I'd say they slipped through, because they weren't released on stream until recently..(May 11th).

The part I always thought was gay..."20 euros ATM"...it's 20 Bucks in the states. So, I mean you guys pay almost 6 extra USD for the same game.

Edit: can't believe they didn't heart out the word Gay

yes it's 4-6 , (fixed, thx mate)

the slipped bc I didn't know spiwerweb works until now,
and yes, feel kinda ashamed
I was reffering to all their (previous) games and not only steam published
the 1USD<->1EUR issue it's been there for a long time.
tsk tsk , they need to fix it but thy won't

whitknight25
05-14-2012, 08:11 AM
yes it's 4-6 , (fixed, thx mate)

the slipped bc I didn't know spiwerweb works until now,
and yes, feel kinda ashamed
I was reffering to all their (previous) games and not only steam published
the 1USD<->1EUR issue it's been there for a long time.
tsk tsk , they need to fix it but thy won't

LOL...of course they won't ...they are greedy...POS's..I hate that..

Edit:...if you ever have extra cash...check out Eschalon (it's here on steam) go to their homepage and buy from there you should be able to pay the USD amount..I'll warn you the game has a learning curve..but if you read on the forums you should get all the info you need to learn the game.

articuno1508
05-14-2012, 10:08 PM
Is this game a JRPG or a Western RPG?

Crosmando
05-15-2012, 01:20 AM
Is this game a JRPG or a Western RPG?

Western

articuno1508
05-15-2012, 10:06 PM
Western
Thanks, +rep. I like JRPGs much much better, so looks like you just saved me a few bucks.

ibitato
05-16-2012, 01:40 AM
Thanks, +rep. I like JRPGs much much better, so looks like you just saved me a few bucks.

then try Chtulutu saves the world and Breath of death VII

great indie (J)RPGs or more like it.

its 2 dollars the pack

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/8848/

whitknight25
05-16-2012, 04:32 PM
Bahhh...go dust off a Play-station 1. & buy Suikoden.

Crosmando
05-17-2012, 01:57 AM
Saved you a few bucks? They are good games, and the bundle is worth it's price twice over. I like JRPG's too (well the older ones), but it's silly to reject a game simply for that reason.

BigGuy
05-17-2012, 06:33 PM
I will add my voice to this. If you don't mind the graphics or doing a lot of reading, the Avernum games are just super.

I bought the first one to try it out and really enjoyed almost everything about it. After that, I snatched up the pack and beat every game already. There is a lot of game time here for a low price.

Scorpionbb
05-17-2012, 11:13 PM
Yeah Spiderweb Rpgs are awesome. Started playing them when the Geneforge pack released on steam and auto-purchased every Spiderweb game that has come to steam since. Escape from the pit was my favorite so far, and I just beat Avadon the other day, great games all around.

fenixraven
05-18-2012, 08:10 AM
nice one whit, though it probably works fine on the 3 too ifn the backwards was fine, that said a 2 works fine. suikoden 2 is the best then 1, 5, 3 possibly cause never played 3... 4 if it really needs to placed... 4 is terrible.

travel on a boat... get attacked by a frog every few millileters traveled... seriously.

SLDrisk
05-19-2012, 03:43 PM
S'okay, ugly is the new black. Lookit Minecraft.

Seriously. I'm having a blast on Geneforge and that's, like, C64 graphics.

I get what you're trying to insinuate and that you're not saying it's exactly like C64, but, hahaha, you're killin me with dating the games that far back. Even the original Exile games were not that ugly with graphically.

Actually, I loved the old Exile tile sets and obtuse interface; bringin me back nostalgically with that...

Saved you a few bucks? They are good games, and the bundle is worth it's price twice over. I like JRPG's too (well the older ones), but it's silly to reject a game simply for that reason.

You can't blame a guy for liking one set of game mechanics over the other. I dig the hell outta the old CRPG games, but can't hate a gamer for being fond of JRPG ones. Rejecting a game for having core mechanics is perfectly alright, hence why I defer from playing a majority of platform games. CRPG and JRPG, while only having one letter difference in their acronym, have distinct enough game mechanics to like one over the other (otherwise we wouldn't have categorized them differently to begin with).