PDA

View Full Version : compare Avernum to Avadon

dig314
05-12-2012, 12:00 PM
How would compare the later Avernum trilogy to Avadon ?

Regarding Avernum IV, V, VI, which one is your favorite and why ?

Dig

sea-
05-12-2012, 04:55 PM
Avernum is generally much better than Avadon, which is a decent game but gets very boring very quickly in my experience. The open world exploration of the Avernum series helps make up for the generally repetitive gameplay that was a problem with Avadon. The character system is also a lot more interesting than Avadon's, with no class boundaries and more non-combat skills.

Of course, the focus of both games is also quite different, but Avadon kind of demonstrated that the gameplay that worked in the open-ended titles didn't really hold up on a smaller scale. The strength of old-school RPGs was usually in mechanics and not so much in storytelling, and unfortunately, Jeff Vogel is no Chris Avellone.

dig314
05-12-2012, 08:16 PM
I have been playing the VI demo. Yes, I do like the character development / skills progression of VI over Avadon.

A big difference is in the combat....
In Avadon, fatigue ( from using a skill / spell ) is restored by returning to the Avadon location or using a potion. In VI, fatigue returns quickly at the end of combat. VI encourages you to use your skills often / Avadon encourages you to save them until they are needed.

Dig

LLAndy
05-13-2012, 01:18 AM
I really liked Avadon.. I haven't had much time to play the other ones but I have them in my queue.

whitknight25
05-13-2012, 07:38 AM
They are all good games...I really hate how much people..play on the...."Open-World" bit. Because Yes it is open ended. But, take your starting party and walk somewhere that you're clearly not meant to go..and you WILL get slaughtered. The games all of them...whether "open-world" or not...are meant to be played in a linear fashion..Avadon just makes it perfectly clear.

It's like any of the others....Fall-out....border lands....skyrim...same difference...take those starting guys and walk over to those higher end areas...=/equal dead. Open-ended...yeah/yup that was fun.

***Until you parties get some skills behind them**

Anyway..yeah Avernum definitely has a poop ton more options. Play as different races etc.

Nicolas81000
05-14-2012, 10:55 AM
Just tried Avadon yesterday and i love it!

So those Spiderweb' games are now all in my wishlist ^^

colorado
05-14-2012, 01:08 PM
They are all good games...I really hate how much people..play on the...."Open-World" bit. Because Yes it is open ended. But, take your starting party and walk somewhere that you're clearly not meant to go..and you WILL get slaughtered. The games all of them...whether "open-world" or not...are meant to be played in a linear fashion..Avadon just makes it perfectly clear.

I've been saying this myself forever. I call these games "stealth linear" games (and the Gothic series is another good example). They are ostensibly "open world," but once you start playing them you realize that they are just as linear it's only that their linearity is enforced by difficulty rather than the order that quests are given to you.

That said, in their defence, the Avernum games are only that way right at the start. Once you hit mid game (like level 10-15 or so) most everything in the world becomes doable. It's only in the very early game that it's a problem.

whitknight25
05-14-2012, 04:51 PM
I've been saying this myself forever. I call these games "stealth linear" games (and the Gothic series is another good example). They are ostensibly "open world," but once you start playing them you realize that they are just as linear it's only that their linearity is enforced by difficulty rather than the order that quests are given to you.

That said, in their defence, the Avernum games are only that way right at the start. Once you hit mid game (like level 10-15 or so) most everything in the world becomes doable. It's only in the very early game that it's a problem.

Yeah, that's actually very true.

DirtyHarry50
05-15-2012, 10:51 AM
How is the newest Avernum game, Escape from the Pit?

AngryJens
05-15-2012, 02:25 PM
How is the newest Avernum game, Escape from the Pit?

Technically it's the oldest Avernum game. ;)

Avernum, Escape from the Pit, is the remake of Avernum 1/Exile 1, Escape from the pit. And it is fantastic, one of my favorite games of all time. Avernum II is still my all-time favorite, but Escape from the Pit comes close.

DirtyHarry50
05-15-2012, 04:39 PM
Technically it's the oldest Avernum game. ;)

Avernum, Escape from the Pit, is the remake of Avernum 1/Exile 1, Escape from the pit. And it is fantastic, one of my favorite games of all time. Avernum II is still my all-time favorite, but Escape from the Pit comes close.

Cool. That is good to know. Thank you. :-)

fenixraven
06-20-2012, 01:20 PM

yeah i gotta agree low level areas and high level areas are the only issues i have the rest, you feel like a mawing wrecking ball on legs, i use the editor and buff my party at various intervals using a die and a strange method of deciding (aint explaining madness) and occasionally for something like defeating a boss. A6 is clearly a cut above for this mind, wont say too much on which but a well known faction puts up if you dont ever editor a truely horrific fight that will probably leave you massacared. A slight scaling system could be the answer but nothing as insane as the elderscrolls idea of "you are level max therefor every lowly bandit around the world now has the rarest of arifacts, full deadric sets" thats just insane. something like none dropping blessed equiped mixed with leathers and lower with a bow that means something after 5 minutes

because if im storming an enemy strong hold like say the end of A5 and still loot cavewood bows something is wrong

Silphatos
11-15-2012, 02:17 PM
I own both Avernum Trilogy and Avadon, where should I start?