PDA

View Full Version : Passenger Soiled My Plane!

Tuold
05-12-2012, 06:47 PM
I was flying a passenger on a sightseeing flight when she declared she had to .... go. Since the trip started at dusk and it was already dark an impromptu landing was not an option. I couldn't find an airport nearer than our destination which was 12NM away. We didn't make it in time. She apologized and I lost 400points!

Heimi77
05-13-2012, 01:35 AM
There is no need to land at an airport, just choose the nearest field or street.

LHookins
05-13-2012, 06:42 AM
I dont think you lose points for not allowing the passenger to relieve themselves, you just fail to collect the 1000xp bonus.

Also, as heimi stated, you can land anywhere it doesn't have to be at an airstrip. (remember to choose somewhere that will also allow you to take off again).

You definitely lose 400 points, as the OP stated, if you don't land to let the passenger go. After all, where did he get the 400 number?

An outlanding at night is not always an option in rough country.

Next time hit N to skip to the waypoint. You'll get the 1000 point bonus (and avoid the 400 point malus) when you land and stop at the destination airport.

Hook

Tuold
05-13-2012, 05:49 PM
I guess the reason I had never experienced this event before is because I had been skipping the trip between waypoints. I tried another sightseeing mission, this time with the old guy with the health issues as a passenger, and the same thing happens after 20 or 30 minutes. This time I was able to get him on the ground in time. I think I got a bonus for doing that, but I can't remember how much it was. 1000 points maybe(?)

LHookins
05-14-2012, 05:09 AM
I usually plan my biplane sightseeing flights so that I'm near an airport at about the 20 mile/20 minute mark. After you get the first warning, you have 5 minutes before the second warning, then 2 minutes before it's too late.

Just because you get two landmarks to fly over doesn't mean you can't fly over others that you know exist. You'll get 65 points for every landmark, plus 200 for the ones you're directed to. Not a lot of points, but it can be a lot of fun.

A typical sightseeing tour for me is to take off from Dillingham on Oahu, get the "set for Lost" landmark just off the end of the runway, fly up the ridge to get two landmarks there, get the Barrow lighthouse, then fly to Honolulu. There's one for Hickam airfield on the approach to Honolulu's left runway, and by the time you get to that runway you'll need to land for the passenger anyway. If you had a tailwind and got there early, Ford Island is the next good landing spot. Ford Island has a landmark, and around it are the USS Utah, the USS Missouri and the USS Arizona memorial.

I just fly around collecting these and get the directed landmarks in the process. I haven't had to backtrack to get the directed ones yet. There are 22 landmarks on Oahu.

Hook

Panaka
05-14-2012, 10:21 AM
I usually plan my biplane sightseeing flights so that I'm near an airport at about the 20 mile/20 minute mark. After you get the first warning, you have 5 minutes before the second warning, then 2 minutes before it's too late.

Just because you get two landmarks to fly over doesn't mean you can't fly over others that you know exist. You'll get 65 points for every landmark, plus 200 for the ones you're directed to. Not a lot of points, but it can be a lot of fun.

A typical sightseeing tour for me is to take off from Dillingham on Oahu, get the "set for Lost" landmark just off the end of the runway, fly up the ridge to get two landmarks there, get the Barrow lighthouse, then fly to Honolulu. There's one for Hickam airfield on the approach to Honolulu's left runway, and by the time you get to that runway you'll need to land for the passenger anyway. If you had a tailwind and got there early, Ford Island is the next good landing spot. Ford Island has a landmark, and around it are the USS Utah, the USS Missouri and the USS Arizona memorial.

I just fly around collecting these and get the directed landmarks in the process. I haven't had to backtrack to get the directed ones yet. There are 22 landmarks on Oahu.

Hook

You forgot the submarine next to the bridge towards Ford Island, the punchbowl, the former airfield and the big crater east of Honolulu.

LHookins
05-14-2012, 11:45 AM
You forgot the submarine next to the bridge towards Ford Island, the punchbowl, the former airfield and the big crater east of Honolulu.

How close does that put you to the 22 I mentioned in my last sentence? :D

I left a lot of them out on purpose. The only ones I should have mentioned are "Pearl Harbor" coming up the river toward Ford Island and the Bowfin submarine, as they're both near Ford Island.

Lessee... leaving Ford Island there's the National Cemetery ("Punchbowl"), Diamond Head crater, the lighthouse next to Diamond Head, Koko Head crater, a lighthouse on the northeast corner of Oahu, the hang gliding cliffs, Bellows (near the buildings), Mount Olympus, a lighthouse on the north of Kaneohe bay, Mokoli'i ("Chinaman's hat"), Sunset Beach (the voice cues for these last two are reversed), and back to Dillingham.

Did I leave any out? There is not a landmark for Waikiki beach.

Hook

lgrochal
05-14-2012, 12:00 PM
Spoilsports :)

LHookins
05-14-2012, 12:40 PM
Hey, keep going and get 3 on Molokai and 6 on Maui. You can do it on one tank of fuel. Actually, there are only 4 on Maui, with the other two nearby. I'll leave it to the reader to find them all. Also, I may not have found all of them myself. Good luck!

Hook

Panaka
05-15-2012, 11:02 AM
How close does that put you to the 22 I mentioned in my last sentence? :D

I left a lot of them out on purpose. The only ones I should have mentioned are "Pearl Harbor" coming up the river toward Ford Island and the Bowfin submarine, as they're both near Ford Island.

Lessee... leaving Ford Island there's the National Cemetery ("Punchbowl"), Diamond Head crater, the lighthouse next to Diamond Head, Koko Head crater, a lighthouse on the northeast corner of Oahu, the hang gliding cliffs, Bellows (near the buildings), Mount Olympus, a lighthouse on the north of Kaneohe bay, Mokoli'i ("Chinaman's hat"), Sunset Beach (the voice cues for these last two are reversed), and back to Dillingham.

Did I leave any out? There is not a landmark for Waikiki beach.

Hook

I think the marine research center is one.

LHookins
05-15-2012, 12:32 PM
I think the marine research center is one.

I flew all over that island from every direction without triggering a landmark comment. Same with Waikiki beach. Both of these have aerocaches but don't seem to be landmarks for the biplane tours.

It does seem like it should have been a landmark though.

Hook

Panaka
05-15-2012, 01:13 PM
I flew all over that island from every direction without triggering a landmark comment. Same with Waikiki beach. Both of these have aerocaches but don't seem to be landmarks for the biplane tours.

It does seem like it should have been a landmark though.

Hook

Which is weird. Short of Pearl Harbor with the Arizona, Waikiki is probably the thing you think of first when thinking of Hawai. An arial shot of that beach is probably one of the more famous post card images around.
The Marine research center is the biggest landmark in that bay.