PDA

View Full Version : No campaign

alx81
05-13-2012, 09:18 AM
Hello is there no classic campaign (story line and vid sequences and events)?

Ryatboss
05-13-2012, 10:15 AM
Nope, no campaign. You do have videos you can watch that give a storyline but no campaign.

Whippersnapper
05-14-2012, 10:46 PM
It's kind of like Civilization or Alpha Centauri. It's a strategy game, not a story game or RPG game.

Cheery Facepalm
06-13-2012, 02:48 AM
can you play it singleplayer though? because the reviews say "no singleplayer" but then i see other reviews say you don't need to touch multi. so, uh, what exactly *are* you doing if not playing multiplayer?

can you play on your own but with no "story" as such, just "kill everything to win" or as close as makes no difference?

(edit - i'm talking about rebellion).

Whippersnapper
06-13-2012, 04:02 AM
You can play it in single player just fine--in the same way that you could play Civilization in single player. However, after a while, you might crave opponents that are capable of strategic thought, which is what the online multiplayer is about.

chappa'ai
06-13-2012, 06:48 AM
You can play it in single player, with the AI.. But as for story, there are no missions like Warcraft or C&C. The story so far is..

Long time ago: Vasarri enslave races, keep them in medieval statis. Then one planet rises up, pew pews their fleet, vasarri realize OMFG WTF IS THAT ♥♥♥♥??/ and run. The OMFG WTF IS THAT ♥♥♥♥??/ starts to follow them across the universe

Another long time ago: Humans are like "those guys are queer" and exile the advent

Now: advent come back. pew pew. TEC go pew pew. Then vassarri come and go pew pew, other two are like "o ♥♥♥♥"

Entrenchment: less pew pew, build bases and turtle
Diplomacy: all three are like "perhaps we can not pew pew?"
rebellion: half of each side is like "lets PEW PEW MOAR!!!" and the other side of like "NO PEW PEW BUILD NICE BASES" and they are all like SUPAR CAPITAL SHIP1!!!!!"

And now its your turn

MagicAccent
06-13-2012, 10:14 AM
You can play it in single player, with the AI.. But as for story, there are no missions like Warcraft or C&C. The story so far is..

Long time ago: Vasarri enslave races, keep them in medieval statis. Then one planet rises up, pew pews their fleet, vasarri realize OMFG WTF IS THAT ♥♥♥♥??/ and run. The OMFG WTF IS THAT ♥♥♥♥??/ starts to follow them across the universe

Another long time ago: Humans are like "those guys are queer" and exile the advent

Now: advent come back. pew pew. TEC go pew pew. Then vassarri come and go pew pew, other two are like "o ♥♥♥♥"

rebellion: half of each side is like "lets PEW PEW MOAR!!!" and the other side of like "NO PEW PEW BUILD NICE BASES" and they are all like SUPAR CAPITAL SHIP1!!!!!"

And now its your turn

The developers should pay you for this story summary and put it in the game.

chappa'ai
06-13-2012, 02:57 PM
I could say it in an eastern European accent, too.

shivars
06-14-2012, 12:32 AM
yeah chappa'ai - that is hilarious, nice one :) have some rep

(I've only played the first tutorial...looking forward to getting right into it :)

Earl_Nuclear
06-14-2012, 03:05 AM
chappa'ai thats comedy gold :D Made my day at work.

Anlashok
06-14-2012, 04:16 AM
It would be nice if they did have a sp campaign though.

kozzy420
06-14-2012, 10:21 AM
This is how these 4x strategy games are always...

Its better then having a campaign because it never gets borign playign this singleplayer! Can do it over thousands of time and not get bored. Then you can take it online against others, its fantastic.

Id rather a game like this or even Anno/Civilization where I can play 100+ games in a sandbox type of mode, instead of a game with a campaign that you beat in 10 hours and never play it again!

Trodamus
06-14-2012, 11:52 AM
Campaigns in RTS games are kind of wonky.

I enjoyed the story for DOW2 and Chaos Rising. Retribution didn't rekindle the great feeling of Dark Crusade for DOW1 though. That one was awesome because it basically offered a framework for skirmish mode.

I think I would have liked a "structured" mode for Rebellion. Seems odd you can have a game where multiple "loyalist" factions for the same race are at war with each other. Or you can have weird things like the xenophobic TEC loyalists allying with the Vasari. Dunno.

But yeah, you can play single player and set any number of settings and victory conditions, same as mulitplayer. Just no story, framing or campaign.

The Emperor
06-14-2012, 07:52 PM
Campaigns in RTS games are kind of wonky.

I enjoyed the story for DOW2 and Chaos Rising. Retribution didn't rekindle the great feeling of Dark Crusade for DOW1 though. That one was awesome because it basically offered a framework for skirmish mode.

I think I would have liked a "structured" mode for Rebellion. Seems odd you can have a game where multiple "loyalist" factions for the same race are at war with each other. Or you can have weird things like the xenophobic TEC loyalists allying with the Vasari. Dunno.

But yeah, you can play single player and set any number of settings and victory conditions, same as mulitplayer. Just no story, framing or campaign.

yeah, DoW1 had the best RTS campaign i've seen. but i'm fine with the way Sins is, i remember Supreme Commander 1 having a story but i never played it sence they restricted you to like level 1 tech.

Trodamus
06-18-2012, 11:43 AM
yeah, DoW1 had the best RTS campaign i've seen. but i'm fine with the way Sins is, i remember Supreme Commander 1 having a story but i never played it sence they restricted you to like level 1 tech.

Supcom: Forged Alliance has a very enjoyable campaign as you have full access to your tech tree.

Doctor Tiki
07-21-2012, 06:54 PM

And now its your turn

This hilariously summed things up for me thank you :D

blastpop
07-21-2012, 09:11 PM
You know, I never thought a game like this needs a campaign- especially the larger maps- they are sort of like a campaign all to themselves.

para_lax
07-22-2012, 06:03 PM

And now its your turn

+rep!

OMFG I love this! I had to send it to all of my Sins playing friends. Guess what? They loved it as well. Now every time we play someone inevitably ends up shouting "pew pew say goodbye to <insert-world-name>!" and "GO SUPAR CAPITAL SHIP1!!!!"

Totally made my week :D

chappa'ai
07-22-2012, 06:04 PM
Haha thank you