PDA

View Full Version : Is this game style like...

DoubleD
05-17-2012, 07:18 AM
Civ5 is the first turn base game I have ever played and I enjoy it a lot. For those here they may have played any Civ game is Warlock the same type of game? I just noticed this title and it looks interesting.

rf900
05-17-2012, 07:35 AM
Has a feel to it, but mostly because of a similar interface. It is less deep, more combat based and with a magic/fantasy setting. I enjoyed both Civ4 and Civ5 (a group of people who liked 4 didn't liked 5) and I like Warlock, but it is better not to compare it with Civ.

Still it has a demo, play it safe and give it a try :)

overread
05-17-2012, 07:51 AM
Like Rf900 said the game shares a similar interface and style of appearance, but there the comparisons end. In play style they are very different titles, Civ5 is much more about micro managing your empire through the ages; whilst Warlock is much more about being a combat focused turn based strategy game.

Personally I would say try the demo; its free and easy to get from Steam and gives you a very good introduction to the game and its features. The interface is pretty easy to work out, though some of the games documentation on unique features is a little sparse - give the WTF video a watch, it not only presents the game at a latter stage, but also gives insight into some of the games more unique features and control options.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ydHz7X4GF8

In general you'll either like the style of the gameplay or not; its not a weakness of the game itself its just a different kind of turn based (I'd liken it more to Disciples series - though I honestly feel that Warlock has a much better turn to turn fun feeling).

GrumpyGamerLP
05-17-2012, 02:19 PM
You can check out my let's play of it here too. It's the most fun I've had doing a let's play of a game so far. This is more like a wargame than anything else. I have been wanting some one to come out with a good fantasy-based wargame for over a decade. Last game like this was Fantasy General. This game is better than Fantasy General though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBXVmY45Ciw

DoubleD
05-17-2012, 02:35 PM
Thanks. I will give the demo a try.

DoubleD
05-18-2012, 06:50 PM
You can check out my let's play of it here too. It's the most fun I've had doing a let's play of a game so far. This is more like a wargame than anything else. I have been wanting some one to come out with a good fantasy-based wargame for over a decade. Last game like this was Fantasy General. This game is better than Fantasy General though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBXVmY45Ciw

Nice. I don't want something just like Civ5. But was looking for the same type of play style. Movement across tiles to do battle/capture etc. Turn base.

GrumpyGamerLP
05-19-2012, 01:35 AM
Nice. I don't want something just like Civ5. But was looking for the same type of play style. Movement across tiles to do battle/capture etc. Turn base.

The developers have been good about patching the game too. They have already released 2 patches.