PDA

View Full Version : Worth it?

Rancor26
05-22-2012, 10:11 AM
Daily deal. I've never played a Thief game before. I'm only going to buy one of them so which one is better Deadly Shadows or Metal Age

I know Metal age is old but i don't care about graphics so i'm going to buy the one with better gameplay.

and apparently Thief Gold is supposed to be on Steam but i cant see it yet...

tacc
05-22-2012, 10:15 AM
It's a series so how about starting with the first game, Thief Gold?

Resonanse
05-22-2012, 10:15 AM
The Metal Age is generally regarded as the better of the two.

Rancor26
05-22-2012, 10:18 AM
It's a series so how about starting with the first game, Thief Gold?

Sorry but i don't have time to play all of them, so i only want to buy one of the three, i don't care if i miss the story or something i buy one just for the gameplay.

in.meinem.turm.
05-22-2012, 11:15 AM
Then get the first or second one.
I personally would pick the first one.

Just look at the screenshots beforehand. These games are really old.

kabtq9s
05-22-2012, 11:31 AM
Don't you guys think $5 is too much for the first and second one? Given their age they should be sold for $2.49, I think they are overpriced just cause they were recently added to steam. I want to wait for a lower price, but afraid they wont drop cause of their good metascore. And yes I'm super cheap

glasseye67
05-22-2012, 11:45 AM
One of the best! Thief Gold is one of the top titles in gaming. It was released after Looking Glass Studio's System Shock 2.

The game is all sound so have a good system.

Sysgen
05-22-2012, 11:46 AM
Pfft, Can't play games with such low polys. Thief 3 is a great stealth game as well plus has texture mods.

in.meinem.turm.
05-22-2012, 11:46 AM
And yes I'm super cheap

Indeed.
And game prices usually don't work that way.

You may try to get a copy of Thief Gold for that low price on ebay. Good luck on that! And then you can try to install it on a NTFS formatted harddrive. Good luck with that try too.

dnalysis
05-22-2012, 12:50 PM
Don't you guys think $5 is too much for the first and second one? Given their age they should be sold for $2.49, I think they are overpriced just cause they were recently added to steam. I want to wait for a lower price, but afraid they wont drop cause of their good metascore. And yes I'm super cheap
Well they are $9.99 each on GoG.com and they rarely have sales below 50% off. You can try and wait for $2.5 sale that may or may not happen, but ultimately you won't be able to get them under $5 and working on modern systems - anywhere.

zoinks99
05-22-2012, 05:31 PM
And then you can try to install it on a NTSC formatted harddrive. Good luck with that try too.
You mean NTFS, right? I'm pretty sure the disc versions do work on Windows 7 with fan support mods.

Goteki-45
05-22-2012, 09:48 PM
Then get the first or second one.
I personally would pick the first one.

Just look at the screenshots beforehand. These games are really old.

Is there any problem with Deadly Shadows? I already have that one and am considering the first two. Haven't played Deadly Shadows yet (massive backlog), but what are some of the pros and cons between it and the first two?

in.meinem.turm.
05-22-2012, 11:20 PM
but what are some of the pros and cons between it and the first two?

All 3 are great games but the first 2 are better. But they look worse.
Thief 3 has problems with multicore systems because of the engine it uses.

Hanke
05-22-2012, 11:42 PM
All 3 are great games but the first 2 are better. But they look worse.
Thief 3 has problems with multicore systems because of the engine it uses.

The first part of Thief has problems with multicores as well, not sure about Thief 2 though.

zoinks99
05-23-2012, 12:09 AM
Do Thief 2 and 3 have zombies/undead? I hated that in Thief 1 just because they always seemed to instantly find you.

in.meinem.turm.
05-23-2012, 12:15 AM
Do Thief 2 and 3 have zombies/undead? I hated that in Thief 1 just because they always seemed to instantly find you.

Yes. They are in every Thief game.

nirvanasource
05-23-2012, 06:53 AM
Get Deadly Shadows. The other two show their age a lot more.

DS is worth it for Shalebridge Cradle alone.

MajorHealy
05-23-2012, 07:29 AM
Yes. They are in every Thief game.

Although I believe Thief 2 has only one zombie (and you can run right past it), and one ghost that are hostile. Of course, you do have Mechanist bots to contend with in Thief 2, but they are much more easily disabled than zombies, if that helps.

I wasn't nearly as impressed with Thief 3 as 1/2, but the Cradle was incredible. And, yes, if dated graphics are a deal-breaker, Thief 3 is your best bet, but if you can handle the dated graphics then there are few gameplay experiences you'll find like Thief 1/2.

fundraiser
05-23-2012, 07:37 AM
This is the best game ever made. It's the game developers stride to recreate like Skyrimming etc. ♥♥♥♥ty sandbox games.
This supports my claim
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuuWxlj0EZM

RipNard
05-23-2012, 09:27 AM
You may try to get a copy of Thief Gold for that low price on ebay. Good luck on that! And then you can try to install it on a NTFS formatted harddrive. Good luck with that try too.

Point you to - http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2268729

4. Right click on the shortcut and select Properties.
4a. In the Target textbox at the end of "Setup.exe" add a space followed by "-LGNTFORCE" without the quotes. This bypasses the NT message and forces installation.

Ridnarhtim
05-23-2012, 09:37 AM
I found Thief: DS really poor. A massive disappointment after the first two, and really showing its console roots (smaller levels split up into areas, for a start). Also, I don't like playing it in 3rd person view, but unfortunately, he moves weirdly in first person due to being optimised to 3rd. Them trying to make it Spliter Cell-ey, I guess.

My favourite is definitely Metal Age, because there are a few missions in the first that really jarate me off, and because 2 has Life of the Party.

Barely any. Certainly nothing like down in the bonehoard and similar levels. More like one here or there.

minispace
05-23-2012, 01:34 PM
If you are going to buy only one from the series, I'd recommend Thief Gold over Thief II. The Bear Pit conversation alone is worth the purchase price.

You should just get all three while they're on sale--after playing The Dark Project you're going to end up wanting the other two anyway!

salvatorymonk
05-24-2012, 06:22 AM

dude the second one is worth 13.49 alone. If you cannot appreciate these epic games then i am sorry.

Gazoinks
05-24-2012, 12:18 PM
These are some of the best games ever made (Thief 2 might in fact be my favorite game ever) and everyone should buy them immediately. Still, if you're a cheapskate I'd recommend Thief 2. Less annoying supernatural creatures, more pure thieving, and some incredibly sprawling levels (Ambush! comes to mind).

All three games work fine on my 64-bit multicore Windows 7 computers (a desktop and a laptop), but I highly recommend downloading TGFix and Tafferpatcher for Thief Gold and Thief 2 respectively. It'll fix some bugs and improve the graphics.

Masterclown
05-25-2012, 03:27 PM

I absolutely agree with this a hundred-fold! The hype for this level is well-deserved. I don't know if there's ever been a Top 10 levels of all time across all games, but Cradle would most certainly have to be in it.

Here is a magazine article (PDF link) about that level: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&ved=0CGoQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fgillen.cream.org%2Fthecradle.pdf&ei=lQbAT96fOfSnsAKU-vXSCQ&usg=AFQjCNG6qWCMZa8hdjE4yxl_wIwgdEPcog&sig2=MNb-JajEHTx5CzXPmTOA7A

QuadX
05-25-2012, 03:53 PM
These are some of the best games ever made (Thief 2 might in fact be my favorite game ever) and everyone should buy them immediately. Still, if you're a cheapskate I'd recommend Thief 2. Less annoying supernatural creatures, more pure thieving, and some incredibly sprawling levels (Ambush! comes to mind).

Another important note to make is that thief 2 has a lot more FMs (that's fan missions for those who don't know) than thief gold does, a multiplayer patch, and a special third-party expansion campaign called Thief 2x (http://thief2x.com/about/), provided that when you're done with thief 2 you want to play more missions.

Fulgutron
05-26-2012, 04:38 PM
I loved thief 1&2, but now they look ugly, even with texture packs, and running them is a bit of a pain (it's buggy legacy software).

Deadly Shadows was "thief for consoles" but still fun to play, and it had its share of bugs, esp. on multicore systems, and has some nasty memory leaks.

just get doom3, and install The Dark Mod and be done with it.
Best thief experience I had since T2.

http://www.thedarkmod.com/downloads/

ShredderBlack
05-26-2012, 11:05 PM
If you want to experience thiefish Thief, go for Thief1.

If you want to play heavily community FMs, go for Thief2.

Thief3 is the weakest one, but still a good game.

TheDarkmod is good alternative. Some people love it and some people hate it. There are very few bugs, but the biggest problem is people stick with old gameplay habits from original series on darkmod which doesn't work of course.

Ridnarhtim
05-28-2012, 05:37 AM
If you want to experience thiefish Thief, go for Thief1.

If you want to play heavily community FMs, go for Thief2.

I found Thief 2 more thief-ish.

Thief 1 had too many supernatural, undead, monsters, creatures, things ... that could/had to be killed/dispatched/outrun.

Thief 2 is almost completely centred on human enemies that you can't kill, sometimes not even knock-out, and that should pretty much never see you. It always felt much more about stealth than the first.

eatken3
05-28-2012, 06:35 AM
I found Thief 2 more thief-ish.

Thief 1 had too many supernatural, undead, monsters, creatures, things ... that could/had to be killed/dispatched/outrun.

Thief 2 is almost completely centred on human enemies that you can't kill, sometimes not even knock-out, and that should pretty much never see you. It always felt much more about stealth than the first.

Honestly I never understood the ♥♥♥♥♥ing about the Zombies... they're slow as ♥♥♥♥ dumber than the Guards, and EASILY avoidable

Ridnarhtim
05-28-2012, 06:44 AM
Honestly I never understood the ♥♥♥♥♥ing about the Zombies... they're slow as ♥♥♥♥ dumber than the Guards, and EASILY avoidable

Yeah, but they're not fun, partly for those very reasons, and also because they are simply everywhere in some missions. I would rather sneak around and never be spotted than spend half an hour running around a crypt with zombies everywhere.

Also, it's not just zombies. It's the burricks, hammer haunts, ghosts, Craymen, rat beasts(though they're mostly like humans). I dunno, I just find it annoying. Missions like Bonehoard and Return to the Cathedral aren't about stealth at all.

eatken3
05-28-2012, 07:32 AM
Yeah, but they're not fun, partly for those very reasons, and also because they are simply everywhere in some missions. I would rather sneak around and never be spotted than spend half an hour running around a crypt with zombies everywhere.

Also, it's not just zombies. It's the burricks, hammer haunts, ghosts, Craymen, rat beasts(though they're mostly like humans). I dunno, I just find it annoying. Missions like Bonehoard and Return to the Cathedral aren't about stealth at all.

true though I tend to enjoy screwing around with the Zombies... as for the other things... ♥♥♥♥ THAT ♥♥♥♥!

zoinks99
05-28-2012, 12:23 PM
I dunno, I just find it annoying. Missions like Bonehoard and Return to the Cathedral aren't about stealth at all.
Return to the Cathedral and the final level in particular were ones I just gave up on in frustration. Those non-human things are practically impossible to sneak past and you're not built for fighting in these games, so all you can do is run for your life. Thief 1 still has some good missions and fan missions, and those are very replayable.

Gazoinks
05-30-2012, 07:07 AM

This is the main thing, imo. Bonehoard for example, requires no real stealth. The level can be completed by simply running around with a conga line of zombies tailing you.

EDIT: It's also just not as fun. I don't even like sneaking past the Hammerites as much, because part of what makes it in my opinion is the personality of the guards and the entertainment value from listening to them discuss their favorite color of rock.

MajorHealy
05-31-2012, 01:12 PM
I don't even like sneaking past the Hammerites as much, because part of what makes it in my opinion is the personality of the guards and the entertainment value from listening to them discuss their favorite color of rock.

Yes, in TDP/Gold the guards do have some great lines that you don't see the likes of among the Hammerites.

Might be just me, but I recall T2 having better ancillary dialog on the whole. The Mechanists in T2 had great conversations --- they're no Bennies, of course, but their humble intellects and misguided fanaticism made for some nice comic relief.

I don't know if there's ever been a Top 10 levels of all time across all games, but Cradle would most certainly have to be in it.

The Cradle is the last video game level I recall playing that creeped me right out --- just walking up that creepy spiral staircase to the violent pounding on the attic door was a memorable treat.

The Cradle and the Widow Moira's house are nearly the only reasons I purchased a Steam copy of TDS. Well, that and the fact that it was only a couple of bucks when you bought T1/2.

stillwater78
06-01-2012, 02:36 AM
Thief 3 is the game that got me back into gaming. It's sublime. The 'open world' is way too small, but the mechanics are solid, and the atmosphere is THICK. And the Cradle level is a classic - if you can get through it without pooing your pants.

I'm sure the first two were fantastic for their time, but their graphics are just horrible, and they barely even have any shadows. Dynamic shadows are a must for stealth games. Thief 3 probably still looks passable today (I played it a few years ago).

Ridnarhtim
06-01-2012, 05:07 AM
Thief 3 is the game that got me back into gaming. It's sublime. The 'open world' is way too small, but the mechanics are solid, and the atmosphere is THICK. And the Cradle level is a classic - if you can get through it without pooing your pants.

I'm sure the first two were fantastic for their time, but their graphics are just horrible, and they barely even have any shadows. Dynamic shadows are a must for stealth games. Thief 3 probably still looks passable today (I played it a few years ago).

Thief 3 looks better, certainly; it's a lot newer after all. But I personally have never been bothered about graphics, and the first two are superior to Deadly Shadows in every single other way. They weren't just fantastic for their time - ignoring the graphics, they're still some of the best games today.

I appreciate great graphics, and install things like texture packs to make old games look better, but I can very easily play a game from 15 years ago without caring, especially if it's as good as Thief 1 and 2.

QuadX
06-03-2012, 08:36 AM
I understand people's rejections to the enemies in thief 1, but personally I was fine with it. I guess probably because I didn't understand stealth when I first picked up and played thief the dark project but also the missions themselves were still really well done. I was really into the atmosphere and story of the game. Return to the Haunted Cathedral is actually a fantastic mission from a design and story perspective imo. There are some shadows you can use, and in the case of the Haunts you can use fire arrows or flash bombs to dispatch them.

I admit the combat is less than ideal but if you've been playing the game for a long time you know how to fight unless you always just run away. There were times where I'd screw up and just purposely kill stuff and then reload my last save. In the zombie/other creatures' levels, you're allowed to kill them without consequence in the harder difficulty level so if you screw up it's ok.

The thing about Garrett is that you can't just think of him as any other old thief.. He's more than that. He's "the master thief." So he'll steal stuff when situations are stacked against him. Bonehoard was the case of stealing something even when he knew there were lots of nasties in there. Every level from what I recall had shadows, so it's not impossible to hide from nasties in certain areas.

I guess I'm one of the rare folks who actually liked both games a lot. I'm not really sure which one I can say I liked better, although I think I've played a lot more of the first Thief than I have of the second Thief.

Bluedragon512
06-06-2012, 10:55 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE3mjFl7IBk

I disagree entirely, I cannot speak for zombies alone, but up until the Main quest requires you to kill all of the hammer haunts. I found Return to the cathedral to be one of the most Entertaining missions, Really pushing my ability for stealth. To the point I had to circle strafe around a zombie to avoid detection while remaining in the dark to avoid the Haunts passing by. No other mission in any of the three games added that kind of pressure. It simply requires patience but they are not *unavoidable*.

An for the record I always play on expert. I believe Bonehoard was merely a practice map, as it is one of the very first missions in the Thief series, It was more about becoming familiar with rope arrows, Jumping Mechanics & exploration. But it can also be about Stealth, even when dealing with the burricks if done correctly.