PDA

View Full Version : IFR-Flight – I did it first time

Trondersen
05-22-2012, 08:27 PM
Since April I am playing Flight as the first of this kind of simulators.
Except the beginning challenge, which had some desatrous results, it makes a lot of fun and faszinates me.

Finding this forum I got a new challenge to learn about IFR – thanks to all writers sharing their knowledge and giving brief informations.

And here it is how I flew the first time IFR.

Job: Dogs from Molokai to Bradshaw AAF

Starting at Molokai (PHMK), runway 5.
After reaching 1.500 ft I turned to VOR Molokai (MKK: 116,1) and climbed to 2.500 ft.

Passing the Molokai VOR (optical check F12) I set the HIS given course to VOR Lanai (LNY: 117,7) and began climbing to 9.000 ft, the planed altitude for this flight.

At Lanai VOR (F12) I was heading to the radial 129 (V 1-7) to Kona International.

Unfortunately I didn´t get a signal from the VOR Kona (KOA: 112,1). This was caused to my planing with “SkyVector” which gives the mentionend frequency – but MS Flight used a frequency of 115,7. :eek:

So I had to switch my navigation to VOR Hilo (ITO: 116,9), using the Radial 263, i.e. heading to 083 and this led me properly to Bradshaw (PHSF) for a routine ;) VFR landing.

For me it worked well and was fun :cool:

Posting this for

- getting comments if something was “wrong” or could be made better/easier ;).
- may be motivate other beginners in instrumental flight to take this challenge J

Regards

Rolf

RoboRay
05-22-2012, 08:57 PM
Nice navigating. You even did well compensating for the Kona VOR being "broken."

Just an explanation for that... the Kona VOR "moved" last year, from down by the old Kona airport to the new Kona airport. Flight still has the old Kona VOR location and frequency.

J van E
05-23-2012, 07:55 AM
Well done, Rolf! Flying with VOR is big fun and really adds a lot to the Flight experience! :)

Trondersen
05-23-2012, 04:29 PM
Thanks for this information, RoboRay :)

Indeed it is fun and I had to learn a lot and still will have to reach a highly "realistic" flight-feeling level.