PDA

View Full Version : Why do people like these american idol type shows?

dachshundfan
05-23-2012, 06:56 PM
i dont understand why people would want to watch people with little talent sing crappy pop songs. do they like being tortured?

Marsbergen
05-23-2012, 06:57 PM
Because, deep down, don't we all just wanna be dancers?

Oh wait, wrong show.

lillythemoogle
05-23-2012, 06:58 PM
Because they don't care for 'look how mature we are, random nudity!' shows?

Blackops
05-23-2012, 07:09 PM
The thing I don't get about American Idol is the fact that only two of the people that have won the show have been completely successful after the fact. You never hear about any of the other winners which is kind of weird for being "the number one show on television".

FreemanForPrez
05-23-2012, 07:16 PM
Who likes them?

Don't look at me - the only American Idol I've ever seen is what I couldn't avoid seeing on the news. ;)

I can proudly say I know less about it than any other American in existence who hasn't been living under a rock for the past ... I don't even know how many years. :D.

bluz74
05-23-2012, 07:24 PM
Because they don't have HBO.

marie pavie
05-23-2012, 07:37 PM
Why do people like these american idol type shows?
Because our culture has gone to hell in a hand basket. Now they've got Stern making young children cry.

The_new_guy
05-23-2012, 07:42 PM
Most people I know who watch it (Mother, Dad, my ladies parents, uncle aunt(s?), and grandparents are not active on the internet. I feel what we get out of MMO, online play, and forums, they get from a nation watching said show together.

I actually think this, but can't be certain... People talk about how Technology pushes us out of the same room, but people forget (or are bias) to mention how it brings us together in many different ways.

Joker One
05-23-2012, 08:02 PM
THE WINNER IS...

DudeNtheRoom
05-23-2012, 08:02 PM
Whenever I see that show during a channel surf.....all I hear are girls yelling and screaming.

Little girls like the show.....therefore parents like the show....therefore lots of ppl like the show...therefore others buy into it.

It's not even a singing show...it's a popularity contest.

real4xor
05-23-2012, 08:59 PM
I don`t think anyone actually likes them.

Just like the crap they put on the radio, it`s just psychological warfare. But it`s cool, cuz there`s no guns`n 'splosions involved.

skippy72294
05-23-2012, 09:04 PM
I've become so "you're really watching that..?" towards my family when they're sitting in front of the TV I get yelled at now when I'm minding my own business on my laptop because I'm not "spending time with my family." :( To me family time isn't in front of the TV watching reality TV.

I don`t think anyone actually likes them.

Just like the crap they put on the radio, it`s just psychological warfare. But it`s cool, cuz there`s no guns`n 'splosions involved.

My favorite radio station is technically back now, since WKQX Q101.1 "Chicago's Alternative" was bought out and changed to all news by merlin media (I believe). It's now WKQX 87.7FM :)

SavageWolfFrog
05-23-2012, 09:13 PM
Because some Americans aren't aware there are other countries that also make tv shows?

skippy72294
05-23-2012, 09:15 PM
Because some Americans aren't aware there are other countries that also make tv shows?

As far as I'm aware, there's Satellite radio channels, mostly horrible American TV shows, and then there's the British Top Gear which is good. :p

The_new_guy
05-23-2012, 09:24 PM
As far as I'm aware, there's Satellite radio channels, mostly horrible American TV shows, and then there's the British Top Gear which is good. :p

Not all are bad... Though I'll admit Coupling is the funniest show ever. Someone on this forum suggested when I was trying to learn an accent for a play.

Pedqchovek
05-23-2012, 10:07 PM
This type of shows along with Big Brother should be abolished for good.

The singers cannot sing (with an exception here and there), the judges act like ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥s towards the contenders and the winner is not based on their ability to sing but rather their popularity among the crowd.

It's really a Billboard 100 on TV.

Dr.Boo.j2
05-24-2012, 12:08 AM
It's because of these kinda shows that we have a whole generation of crappy singers who sing generic and shallow idiocies.
I'll never understand the appeal of such mind-numbing "talent" shows.

Masterclown
05-24-2012, 04:41 AM
What is wrong with you people? I think the <country name> Idol shows are great family entertainment!

People marvel at some of the technological and cultural advancements of the Mayans or Incas, but have never really known how such things were achieved. I bet they had Mayan/Incan Idol shows, the difference being that the loser was sacrificed instead of just getting kicked off of the show.

Cap'n Funshine
05-24-2012, 04:42 AM
There's a reason we think of them as lesser beings.

BadBeat
05-24-2012, 04:45 AM
The cynic in me says that most people enjoy seeing others in some degree of pain, mental or physical, whether they admit it or not, and get a kick out of watching the judges rip into terrible singer after terrible singer.

Ardbug
05-24-2012, 05:27 AM
Oh its not just in America, we have them here in Scandinavia (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmCjxrmSJ_8) as well, and its every bit as horrible as in the rest of the world I would imagine ...

TeKraken
05-24-2012, 05:58 AM
TBH I think the whole celebrity thing is a crock of ♥♥♥♥.
Money for nothing no talent bottom feeders.

And shows like this is just encouraging those that know no better to conform to it. Suckers.

TangleFoot
05-24-2012, 06:45 AM
You never hear about any of the other winners...

Funnily it's the runners-up who seem to benefit most from these things.

Examples:

Carly Smithson
Chico Slimani

TeKraken
05-24-2012, 06:47 AM
Funnily it's the runners-up who seem to benefit most from these things.

Examples:

Carly Smithson
Chico Slimani

Who?

TangleFoot
05-24-2012, 06:56 AM
Who?

The former now sings (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzTZeeMCUBk) alongside former members of Evanescence; the latter has an odious catchphrase.

ttt
05-24-2012, 07:01 AM
It's fun to see the awful singers get insulted by the jury in the auditions.

BadBeat
05-24-2012, 11:06 AM
It's fun to see the awful singers get insulted by the jury in the auditions.

See? I was right!

BlackOps101
05-24-2012, 11:19 AM
There's nothing better on tv...

TangleFoot
05-24-2012, 11:28 AM

This is one of the reasons I don't watch TV any more.

bluz74
05-24-2012, 11:29 AM
This is one of the reasons I don't watch TV any more.

Watch HBO. It's not TV....it's HBO.

TangleFoot
05-24-2012, 11:31 AM
Watch HBO.

We don't get HBO over here. We don't even get Dave.

Masterclown
05-24-2012, 11:37 AM

Perhaps for the national broadcasters, but other cable/subscription networks have good stuff.

I like to watch TNT, ESPN and especially AMC (what with Breaking Bad and MadMen, Walking Dead, et al).

spartan0078
05-24-2012, 11:40 AM
To each their own.

I prefer America"s got Talent. You get to see singers plus people who really do have an exceptional talent, like performing stunts and other things. Plys its a riot to watch idiots who do think they have talent.

Masterclown
05-24-2012, 11:43 AM
Plys its a riot to watch idiots who do think they have talent.

All I need do for that is connect to a TF2 server for about 5 minutes....

epicphail
05-24-2012, 12:08 PM
Cause everything on the radio is crappy pop songs so it goes hand in hand. (I like watching the first couple episodes each season just to see the freaks)

MADDOGGE
05-24-2012, 01:19 PM
Real people don't like these shows at all:cool:. Only sheeple that are easily amused and entertained by mediocrity embrace these shows.;)

BC2 Cypher
05-24-2012, 02:22 PM
There are some really talented singers on the show, but I don't like the judges (only one I used to like was Simon Cowell, but he left).

I don't care who wins and I don't watch much after the auditions (cause some the the auditions are kinda funny), and the only reason I see the auditions and some bits after is because my mom still watches it occasionally.

I enjoy some of the singers, and not all the songs they sing are crap, but I don't care for all the other stupidity in the show.

I watch Britain's Got Talent though.

Innocent Flower
05-24-2012, 02:25 PM
It's the british! they started it!! blame the british! It all began with "pop" iddle i tell you! i was there, back in the days of 1903! Invade England and destroy parliament! it's the only way!

Joshyjess
05-24-2012, 02:39 PM
To be honest, I was somewhat "into" American Idol for the first couple of years (my wife dragged me into watching it). I think I enjoyed it mostly just to see what off-the-wall comment or analogy Simon would come up with (plus it was always fun to see him make some horrible singer cry when he told them the truth).
But I think it should have ended about 5 years ago. There are always new trends in TV, and whereas they might be interesting for a few years, it just gets pathetic when they drag them out long past their time. Shows like AI had their place for a little while, but I think that place ended quite a while ago.

Now I'm more into the Storage Wars / Pawn Stars trend. Wonder how long that will last.

TangleFoot
05-24-2012, 02:40 PM
Invade England and destroy parliament!

It's been invaded before. Repeatedly (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasions_of_the_British_Isles). :p

KK_reborn
05-24-2012, 02:45 PM
If you don't like watching people get tortured, skip the audition shows and start watching it when they get on stage. That's where the singers start performing. Plus it's a great way for somebody to go from nobody to somebody really quickly. It's a really long route to get to popular without a reality TV show backing you up unless you are somebody like Britney Spears who soared to super stardom on her first album.