PDA

View Full Version : Broken physics.

mriguy
05-28-2012, 04:59 AM
The physics behind this game make no sense. When I bump into my base I will wobble left and right for a minute or so as I fly straight forward. This does not appear to be a lag issue. The swaying motion is even seen in the thruster flames. I really feel a great deal of the problems with this game are due to an overzealous (and improper) use of the physics engine.

On a side note. Why should we bounce off structures? We have collisions for asteroids, why no all structures. It really ruins immersion to have my ship bounce off something.

This game is suppose to be hardcore. What is with the child proofing?

Stop wasting development time on DLC and clean up the code. I picked this game in beta and it has been one of my most regrettable purchases to date. I keep coming back to try the game but wind up disappointed that the ships feel like battleship pieces stuck in Jello.

ShadowHawk81
05-28-2012, 06:20 AM
The only time something like that should happen, is if you're colliding with a base structure.
In reality, you should keep a good distance anyway, and maneuver around them. Especially large asteroids. Once you get a hang of control there is less awkward moments like this.
As for lag, I have mostly noticed involuntary shifting when a lag spike hits.
I also only use the mouse to turn. Turning with arrows I would agree is weird, and is another cause for the rapid flipping of the ship.

crisaron
05-28-2012, 01:39 PM
well you can explain that with Z you can pass over... having to pass around is not real space physics...

mriguy
05-29-2012, 01:28 AM
The problem occurs after you hit something. Your ship will oscillate port and starboard while moving forward until you come to a complete stop. It's not lag, I get it with single practice by myself. As I have mentioned, I wish you did not bounce off anything in this game, it's just cheesy.

KDR_11k
05-29-2012, 12:57 PM
The bases are cluttered and the spawn points right behind the biggest base building, making collisions there near instakills like the big asteroids would simply add frustration. It's already annoying enough to get stuck like that. I guess it's necessary to prevent players from parking inside base buildings though.

TamaSaga
05-31-2012, 07:18 PM
Personally, I wonder about the mechanics where an enemy corvette flies into and then right across the bow of my carrier.

Shouldn't there be some sort of collision involved when that happens?

As for the base, you can fly through the turrets...but your shots can't. That's also kinda strange if you think about it.

abortabortabort
06-01-2012, 02:09 PM
Personally, I wonder about the mechanics where an enemy corvette flies into and then right across the bow of my carrier.

Shouldn't there be some sort of collision involved when that happens?

As for the base, you can fly through the turrets...but your shots can't. That's also kinda strange if you think about it.

Strange yes. But I'm sure it is for balance reasons. Having people able to build a turret wall to hid behind while they shoot you wasn't a mechanic they wanted.

KDR_11k
06-01-2012, 02:11 PM
And turrets are far too numerous to make colliding with them any fun.