PDA

View Full Version : Turbine, are there any plans to bring a high resolution quest font size to the game?

BigGuy
06-08-2012, 10:43 AM
Playing Lord of the Rings Online at 1080P results in tiny, barely readable quest font.

LOTRO has a great story, but because I have to squint to be able to read it on my 32" TV, I find myself just skipping the quest text! I actually hooked up a monitor to my PC just so that I could read the quest text without straining my eyes. It didn't help. At 1920 by 1200, the quest text is still too small. Lowering the resolution fixes the problem, but lowers the quality of the graphical experience.

Why am I able to adjust the font size of everything except for the one thing I really need!

Turbine, are there any plans to allow us to increase the quest window and font size? A simple High resolution font size button in the UI menu would suffice. Just click it and the font size gets doubled. All problems solved.

Thank you!

Bryandt
06-08-2012, 11:20 AM
Press Ctrl + O

Click on the UI Settings button.

Scroll down until you see a slider labeled Quest Tracker. You can use that slider to make it as large or as small as you'd like.

BigGuy
06-08-2012, 11:59 AM
Press Ctrl + O

Click on the UI Settings button.

Scroll down until you see a slider labeled Quest Tracker. You can use that slider to make it as large or as small as you'd like.

That increases the size of the quest tracker window. I am talking about the quest text that you get from NPC's. While you are talking to them by reading what their problem is. That is the window and font size that I would like increased.

There is currently no option anywhere that allows you to change the quest font size.

Bryandt
06-08-2012, 12:02 PM
That increases the size of the quest tracker window. I am talking about the quest text that you get from NPC's. While you are talking to them by reading what their problem is. That is the window and font size that I would like increased.

There is currently no option anywhere that allows you to change the quest font size.

Ah ha, I see. Yeah, that could be problematic. :/

You can resize the dialogue window, but doesn't make the text any bigger.

Shait
06-08-2012, 12:46 PM
i'm playing at 1920x 1200 resoluton and don't have any problem with text :) i can read it with no problems

BigGuy
06-08-2012, 01:20 PM
i'm playing at 1920x 1200 resoluton and don't have any problem with text :) i can read it with no problems

I like to sit a ways back from my monitor, since it's 26 inches. Plus I am guessing you don't wear glasses.

Sitting the recommended distance away, even when playing WOW I have to increase the UI just a tiny bit to be comfortable.

Its a bit odd that EQ2, TOR, WOW and AOC give you the option to increase the quest font size, but LOTRO does not. It is a key accessibility feature and is missing from the game!

Montyleeny15
06-08-2012, 04:11 PM
You should suggest the feature on LOTRO forums. Depending on how large your screen is, I think you can accommodate a larger resolution for a 65 cm screen.

BigGuy
06-08-2012, 04:20 PM
You should suggest the feature on LOTRO forums. Depending on how large your screen is, I think you can accommodate a larger resolution for a 65 cm screen.

It has been requested before by quite a few people, but seeing as how Turbine reps are here right now, I figured this would get more attention than something that would fall off the first page of the official forums in about 30 minutes.

Doing a google search, I found a lot of threads on the official forum asking for the same thing. I am just hoping to snag a mod's attention with this thread.

dmanthey
06-08-2012, 05:29 PM
I completely agree with you Big. Why they don't have an option to increase the font size is a complete mystery. The UI allows you to re-size and move everything but the quest box font size!

It would be a very nice feature and allow me to really crank up the game's resolution. Even more surprising is that a lot of older games have it but LotRO does not.

JukeThem
06-09-2012, 10:33 AM
I completely agree with you Big. Why they don't have an option to increase the font size is a complete mystery. The UI allows you to re-size and move everything but the quest box font size!

It would be a very nice feature and allow me to really crank up the game's resolution. Even more surprising is that a lot of older games have it but LotRO does not.

Being an older gamer I agree with you. I like what I am seeing from the game so far but having to continuously concentrate just so I can read the quest text is becoming very annoying.

It always disappoints me when a company doesn't take people with disabilities into consideration. The accessibility portion of LOTRO is below that of many others that I have played.

I was really hoping that a game based on Lord of the Rings, which was published in the early 50's, should at least cater to us older gamers. It does not. I like the game and enjoy exploring the story but the inability to increase the quest font size is a huge let down.

price0331
06-09-2012, 09:16 PM
I totally agree. I'm 20 years old, with 20/20 vission, but I sit about three and a half feet from my computer monitor, and even when the UI is scaled it is incredibly hard to read. I don't imagine that this would be a complicated fix, but who knows. All I know is that playing WoW doesn't make me strain my eyes to read anything.

Overall though the game play and depth of this game is outstanding, just wish I could read everything from a comfortable distance.

Lexinator
06-09-2012, 09:58 PM
I totally agree. I'm 20 years old, with 20/20 vission, but I sit about three and a half feet from my computer monitor, and even when the UI is scaled it is incredibly hard to read. I don't imagine that this would be a complicated fix, but who knows. All I know is that playing WoW doesn't make me strain my eyes to read anything.

Overall though the game play and depth of this game is outstanding, just wish I could read everything from a comfortable distance.

I am the same way. Having a 28 inch gaming monitor requires that I sit quite a distance away if I am to take in the whole picture. I actually started one of these topics on the LotRO forums, but to no avail.

While I highly doubt that this thread will get a response from Turbine (as they have ignored this exact request on their forums in the past), I can still hope :)

TurbineSapience
06-09-2012, 11:52 PM
Thanks for the suggestion guys, I'll pass it along to the dev team.

leezeebub
06-10-2012, 12:06 AM
Yeah I also want this option.
I play on my 32 inch HD tv and sit around 8-9 feet away.... Don't think I've read a single bit of story text in the game lol and am constantly having to sit forward and squint to read the other stuff.

I would also like the chat box text to be larger.

price0331
06-10-2012, 01:50 AM

Awesome! Glad to see our suggestions being passed along. Please let us know if you have any updates. I'll definately be monitoring this thread.

WittyNameHere
06-10-2012, 05:11 PM
+1 here. No clue why this feature is not in the game yet. How hard would something like this be to implement.

Montyleeny15
06-10-2012, 05:33 PM
I'll add my +1 here too, because I noticed that I'm also starting to squinch my eyes in order to read the quest text. That's weird. Maybe it's because the text is fuzzy, or is it just my resolution?

Lexinator
06-11-2012, 10:42 AM
I am the same way. Having a 28 inch gaming monitor requires that I sit quite a distance away if I am to take in the whole picture. I actually started one of these topics on the LotRO forums, but to no avail.

While I highly doubt that this thread will get a response from Turbine (as they have ignored this exact request on their forums in the past), I can still hope :)

Woot woot! Score one for hope and me eating my own foot :)

+rep to you Sapience!

I'll add my +1 here too, because I noticed that I'm also starting to squinch my eyes in order to read the quest text. That's weird. Maybe it's because the text is fuzzy, or is it just my resolution?

No, it's something with the game's font at higher resolutions. I don't have that problem in WoW, AoC, STO, etc (I could list lots more games, but I think I made my point :))

BigGuy
06-12-2012, 08:10 AM

THANK YOU! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!!!

You made my day.

spyrochaete
06-12-2012, 01:17 PM
I would very much appreciate this as well. LOTRO has a staggering number of UI tweaks already but text size is conspicuously absent. Back when the game was first released people didn't have such high-resolution monitors but font size becomes problematic as resolution increases.

dmanthey
06-18-2012, 12:48 AM
Woot woot! Score one for hope and me eating my own foot :)

+rep to you Sapience!

No, it's something with the game's font at higher resolutions. I don't have that problem in WoW, AoC, STO, etc (I could list lots more games, but I think I made my point :))

After doing some reading I think this won't happen because I keep finding threads for this request in the LOTRO forums dating back years and nothing was ever done about it. Turbine probably won't give us the option to increase the quest font size unless some disability organization gets involved.

The more I play, the bigger of a problem this font thing becomes. Uggghh. Like you said, its only in LOTRO not in any other MMO.

mattstone
07-02-2012, 10:16 AM
After doing some reading I think this won't happen because I keep finding threads for this request in the LOTRO forums dating back years and nothing was ever done about it. Turbine probably won't give us the option to increase the quest font size unless some disability organization gets involved.

The more I play, the bigger of a problem this font thing becomes. Uggghh. Like you said, its only in LOTRO not in any other MMO.

That would suck big time. I really need this re-sizing option.

I hope they hurry up and add this feature. Every game should have the ability to re-size the size of any text they have and quests are fairly important in a quest based MMORPG lol. So not having this in the game is a kick to the groin.

BigGuy
07-05-2012, 07:55 AM
That would suck big time. I really need this re-sizing option.

I hope they hurry up and add this feature. Every game should have the ability to re-size the size of any text they have and quests are fairly important in a quest based MMORPG lol. So not having this in the game is a kick to the groin.

The Secret World also has this feature. Re-sizing the UI makes the quest text much bigger there.

I really hope LOTRO gets with the times and patches this into the game.

Mick
07-05-2012, 12:51 PM

I would also like this. Why has Turbine not updated such a crucial feature of their engine while updating just about everything else? Instead of giving us more useless lighting effects or mounts, let us increase the size of the quest font.

BigGuy
07-16-2012, 04:07 PM

Hey Sapience, is there any update on this?

dmanthey
08-31-2012, 07:54 AM

Any update on this Sapience or did you just post here to make us shut up?

Because of this font issue, and only because of it I am currently playing The Secret World. I used to spend 30+ hours/week on LOTRO, but it's getting beyond frustrating to not have readable fonts at higher resolutions!

xdantespardax
09-15-2012, 07:09 PM
I'm amazed this is such a problem in this day and age! This is the sort of thing that totally turns people off pc gaming, obvious things that should be fixed and aren't. This problem exists in Eve Online aswell, and the devs simply refuse to sort it. I know why, it's because it's a TON of work to resize all that text. But why didn't they anticipate it at the start and allow for the option as they went along? (Obviously people would get bigger screens and higher resolutions as time goes by, so it's just future-proofing). At the end of the day, the devs have shot themselves in the foot because the tiny text and the lack of mouse-look (like a regular third-person game) are 2 total drags on an otherwise good game. No wonder it's free to play! I just started playing this, but can I be bothered to continue? We will see.

xdantespardax
09-15-2012, 07:46 PM
Actually, thinking about it, the font size used in the game has to be specified SOMEWHERE in the code. So how difficult can it be to alter that or give the option to alter it? The dev's reluctance seems to indicate they would have to manually resize all the text separately or something stupid. I just can't understand what the difficulty is! Anyway if so, is there no way to involve fans somehow in helping with the 'laborious' work involved? Or giving players a laborious solution if they are so inclined? Not that players should have to even go down that road, but it would be better than nothing.

Oh well, I always have Trine to play, now that's a beautiful game AND a beautiful interface (and at 1080p!)! Lol

xdantespardax
09-16-2012, 07:37 PM
OK, this is hilarious, I have managed to solve this problem! It took some doing, and involved scouring around for ages looking for an ancient artifact from the first age. However, I can now see the text quite clearly using this special tool! And what pray tell is this magical thing?

A MAGNIFYING GLASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I kid you not! It's actually the easiest thing to do, and I hope everyone searching on google stumbles on this thread to discover how ridiculous it is, and yet it is the ONLY answer. (And how ridiculous Turbine are for not addressing this). CCP are just as bad for Eve Online. Is this really happening in 2012? [Pinches self]

L4aYeR GuN
09-29-2012, 09:55 PM
You may want to look in the "chat" settings to make chat text bigger.
Or make the whole UI interface bigger.

There's an awefull lot of settings you can custom in this game (some say too many).

At a last resort change your windows Text DPI higher.

I play in 1080p 1920x1024 res on a 42' screen and spent almost 3 hours getting all the setting's set to where I can read what npc's and Kin mates are saying to being abel to read my quest tracker and blurb and seeing the radar to the skillbars.

Would be nice if I could do all this with one push of a button!!

Also I spent alot of time moving stuff about on my screen by pressing the keys Ctrl-# and was startled to see alot more box's that I've never seen pop up in game.

Fermista
09-30-2012, 07:38 PM
Or make the whole UI interface bigger.

While we're on the subject, go to Options/UI Settings/UI Scale, then click on the magnifying glass that globally increases the UI Scale.

Notice that thing that remains constant - the options window and the text inside. This, and the text size in the quest window, dialogue windows, etc. is what we want to be able to increase the size of.

Please, for the sake of our eyesight, could someone please let us know how to do this. Or if there isn't an option, could somebody from Turbine please implement this.

My eyesight isn't great already, and the extra accessibility would be much appreciated :)

Mthise
09-30-2012, 08:52 PM
I stopped playing the game for this very reason. Eyestrain from the tiny quest log font that can't be increased.

It's also pretty hard to believe how they continue to present us with these horizontally-stretched loading screens and other UI screens that were designed for a 4:3 aspect ratio, when you can't even buy 4:3 monitors anymore. Unbelievable that a game with such a high-level IP hasn't even made a widescreen version of their UI available as an option.

Montyleeny15
10-07-2012, 03:08 PM
I'm quite puzzled over this issue. Could someone post a screenshot? because I'm not exactly finding such an issue on LOTRO. (Maybe I don't get eye-strain that much :-P)

BruntFCA
03-09-2013, 08:51 AM
I don't care if this is a necro thread. The issue still exists, despite the "look into " comment above.

From what I've read, the icons and text are rendered as bitmaps. They made a (bad) strategic decision not to use scalable vector fonts (like Truetype which Windows has had since Windows 3.1 back in 1991).

Again, from what I've read there was a game performance issue with using vector fonts, hence the reason to use the terrible bitmaps.

Now, it's not only the fonts, the icons in the bags are terrible. I quit subscribing on account of the sheer hassle of squinting through that mess. Worse, the buff and debuff icons are also illegible.

I've also read previously that they don't have the resources to a create bigger version of all the bitmaps (duh how could you not have foreseen that problem). I don't care if the icons looks like an 8 bit space invader, just make it bigger already!

As is now, I'm so sick of inventory hassles, I just junk everything, inclduding all their stupid tokens - guess I'll never level up my legenday weapon. I just run around killing things and looking at the nice scenery. This also means they won't "monetize" my game experience either..lol.

Nox
09-02-2013, 07:44 AM
Yeah, their UI is a pretty terrible experience. Since they haven't fixed it since release, I would say that their target audience for this game does not play the game at a resolution that it would matter. I too find the text size to be unbearably small (1900x1200 on 26 inch monitor). And I have often been skipping the quest text. It hardly feels like lord of the rings and more like a world of warcraft meets DDO hybrid baby.

Either way, I understand the devs need to not spend a frivolous amount of time on UI enhancements when their core audience doesn't care. That's just smart business practice and if you and I can't deal with it, we should just quit.

I'll probably be done when my 3 month VIP sub is up, so they get $30 out of me and I just deal with the UI crap.

WaningGibbous
09-06-2014, 03:24 AM
I dusted off LOTRO and started playing after a long time off. Has this issue been fixed yet? If so I couldn't find a way to increase text.